Magen's Beach in your own

Hello, we've only done Magen's beach on an excursion we booked thru Royal, and spent half the day at Coral world wasting our precious beach time. Is there a safe way to get to the beach where you can spend all day there ? Before you tell me to jut get a taxi, I have to ask are taxi's available to take you back to the pier ? And is there a cheaper way to get there? It seemed like quite the trip there by bus ! Thanks in advance ! Sorry for the typo......the title should have said......on your own, not in your own !

Edited by RCI Cruisers 004

Hello, we've only done Magen's beach on an excursion we booked thru Royal, and spent half the day at Coral world wasting our precious beach time. Is there a safe way to get to the beach where you can spend all day there ? Before you tell me to jut get a taxi, I have to ask are taxi's available to take you back to the pier ? And is there a cheaper way to get there? It seemed like quite the trip there by bus ! Thanks in advance ! Sorry for the typo......the title should have said......on your own, not in your own !

Yes, you can do a taxi both ways. If you tell the taxi driver that drops you off what time you want to be picked up they will come back and get you. It's a sure fare for them. There are usually other taxis there too. The route most take is the most direct. It's on the other side of the island from the pier and there are mountains in between.

Also, check the ports of call threads for St Thomas.

Edited by BND

We have always taken a taxi from the pier and the taxi driver has always arranged to come back for us at an agreed upon time. Often the driver has not collected the fare until the end of the return trip. If you pay the driver when you get to the beach and are concerned that he may not return, there are always a number of taxis at Magen's Bay more than willing to take you back to the ship. Fares are at a published rate and we have never encountered a problem in St. Thomas.

RCI, what type of "bus" were you on? St Thomas does not use buses for excursions or taxis. Mostly converted pick up trucks or vans.

No public transportation goes near Magens. Taxi fare ranges from $8 - $10 pp each way.

RCI, what type of "bus" were you on? St Thomas does not use buses for excursions or taxis. Mostly converted pick up trucks or vans.

No public transportation goes near Magens. Taxi fare ranges from $8 - $10 pp each way.

Thanks for the nitpicky response to my question ! I did look up what "bus" meant. A vehicle used for public transportation. It can be used for school transport, coach transport, private transport or tourism! I thought by saying "bus" was easier than saying an extended Ford truck with 8 rows of bench seats in the rear which held up to 5 people per row. It had open sides with a chain you latched so no one fell out. But I'll try to do better on any future posts I have. Thanks for listing taxi fares. We will probably use one !

RCI: The vehicle you are describing is commonly known as a "safari". Most people think of a Greyhound "bus". Taxis can be safaris and vans (well, and some cars, too.) To add to the confusion, safaris are used as point-to-point taxis AND to run a "bus route" for $2. I think Ms 411 was just trying to understand. ;)