Squire5000

In Room Consumption - Any Change From RCCL?

Has anyone detected any shift in RCCL's position on the in-room consumption issue since we started raising a ruckus with them?

While there are a lot of registered users for this site, I seriosly doubt that RCI is going to back off of this change because we don't like it and E-mail them about it. We are a lot of people but just a drop in the bucket compared to the number of passengers they carry. If we were really a powerful number, I believe there would be considerably more and larger M&M parties. On our Brilliance cruise there are close to 50 members signed up for the M&M for a ship that holds more than 2,000 passengers. That's 0.25% of the total passengers if we're carrying 2,000 passengers and the ship is nearly sold out. Keep in mind that not 100% of the members on this board object to this change.

Somehow I don't believe that small of a minority will have much of an effect with an E-mail campaign or on RCI's bottom line. It is the bottom line that could affect their decision and get them to change it so, if enough people quit sailing RCI and point out that in room consumption is the direct reason for it, then it might change. Or, if after implementing the change they find revinue from liquor sales takes a nose dive and profits start to show it, then they might make the change back to allowing in room consuption for a fee again.

In short, it's all about money. Either revinue lost or lawsuits prevented. Whichever way the balance sheet falls is how RCI will come down on this one.

Just because we are a small percentage of the total number of cruisers what makes anyone think that our opinions are not reasonably representative of the whole?

The big difference is that we tend to find out about changes before we board the ship while others get whacked in the face with them after setting sail.

Just because we are a small percentage of the total number of cruisers what makes anyone think that our opinions are not reasonably representative of the whole?

That is exactly right, and they should be well aware of it. This principle is thoroughly ebedded in our society. Nielsen ratings, letters that influence your congresspersons, public opinion polls... Just a few that come to mind. As someone who takes the time to do so, you speak for hundreds of thousands of others who don't.

Theron

I know for a fact that they "listen" to what is said on these boards... As one time one of their webmasters made a "boo-boo" and it stated online that the tips were included in the price of the cruise... I posted this information here and it got a reply from RCI through an email to LauraS... So they do "listen" to what is said on these boards, as I'm sure that "network" advertising is good for their business... JMHO.

If RCI sees a steep decline in profits from people not buying booze and not paying the consumption fee then they might reinstate it. It soulds like it could be a knee-jerk reaction to a summer cruise season plagued by underage drinking and out-of-control teenagers.

If RCI sees a steep decline in profits from people not buying booze and not paying the consumption fee then they might reinstate it. It soulds like it could be a knee-jerk reaction to a summer cruise season plagued by underage drinking and out-of-control teenagers.

That's sort of what I was getting at but not doing a very good job of it. The numbers here may be vocal but I'm not sure they hold enough revenue power to influence RCI to recind the decision at this point in time.

I can't say why they feel they will be better off but, bad PR on this site about underage drinking, bad PR about the drunken honeymoon couple where one is missing (or dead I haven't really followed the story), complaints onboard about obnoxious drunks, lost revenue from bar sales not covered by the consumption fee and fee for set ups to go with it, or maybe it was just getting to be to much of a hassle argueing with people of the fee.

If it ends up having an adverse affect on the bottom line, then it will go back to the way it was. If not, it will stay. Personally, I'm not sending an E-mail because I'm one of those that happens to think it a good idea. The pro's outweigh the con's for me.

In short, it's all about money. Either revinue lost or lawsuits prevented. Whichever way the balance sheet falls is how RCI will come down on this one.

The cruiseline can beheld liable for something? I thought the cruise contract stated the opposite.. LOL

Maybe we can get Glenn Frey to re-write the lyrics to "Smuggler's Blues" to fit the new policy of RCCL that will necessitate many to find a way to get their libation of choice on board.

Doesn't look like they are backing off. Here's the e-mail on the subject that I received today....

Thank you for your email, we apologize for the delay in our response.

On August 5, Royal Caribbean International instituted a new policy regarding alcohol purchased by the bottle onboard its ships. This new policy is identical to that of other major cruise lines. Bottles of alcohol purchased onboard a Royal Caribbean ship will be held by the ship until the last full day of the cruise. At the time of purchase, the alcohol is marked with the guest’s stateroom number and put into storage. On the last full day of the cruise, the alcohol is delivered to the stateroom of the guest, so they may disembark the ship with it.

Royal Caribbean implemented this policy to prevent inappropriate alcohol consumption by young people, as well as to prevent over consumption.

We apologize for the disappointment you may have with this new policy.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Interesting though, that now they are taking the position that it is meant to curb underage drinking.

as well as to prevent over consumption.

OVERCONSUMPTION? Who are they kidding? If that seem inebriated dolt now walks up to a bar in the ship and orders another cocktail (instead of taking a drink in his cabin), I can't see RCCL saying "sorry, but I think you've consumed enough."

I guess I feel different about this now. When we were on the Explorer, the adult pool area was filled with "kids" with drinks & beer. Even "Glass Beer Bottles" in the hot tubs. I'm sure that this new policy with stop that????? Maybe if they didn't sell it to the kids in the store to bring to their cabins they would not have to punish us adults?? Also the other comment about preventing over consumption. Do they think that it is caused by a drink in your room before dinner. Or a glass of wine or two on your balcony?

People blame Royal Caribbean for to many drunks. Royal Caribbean does something about it. So, people blame Royal Caribbean for trying to fix the problem. Come on people you can't have it both ways.

Plastic bottles of the good stuff for a week cruise in pants legs, etc. Then into the fridge it goes. I dump the water pitch wuith just ice & put lemonade in it that I add vodka for sunning. Big plastic glasses for us & we are set for a relaxing afternoon. Baileys for coffee is another favorite. We even get whipped cream from room service.

So let them see bar receipts & the 15% tips fall drastically, drink at the port not on the ship & the corkage fee will go away with no wine coming aboard either????

People blame Royal Caribbean for to many drunks. Royal Caribbean does something about it. So, people blame Royal Caribbean for trying to fix the problem. Come on people you can't have it both ways.

When they start converting bars on the ships to other venues then maybe I'll buy into the idea that they are trying to cut down on drinking. As long as you have to walk longer distances for food than for drinks... I'll not biting. Many times people probably aren't even thinking about a drink until someone comes by with a tray shouting "Bahama Mamas" and then folks get the urge to have one or twelve.

Think about how the staff gets paid. They get more people buying in the bars and from the roaming servers and the staff gets its 15% cut. This is all about ecomonics for RCI and the staff. And that is all fine. I hate it when RCI starts throwing out lame reasons in an attempt to apease people. As they say... I was born at night but it wasn't last night.

I am just LMAO on these threads!!!

Given the massive complaining that goes on regarding fees for JR, fees for specialty restaraunts, fees for ice cream, etc... who could possibly have imagined that we would all be complaining about them TAKING A FEE AWAY!!!

Just do what 50% of the passenger population does, and bring your own bottle of booze. Consider it your personal protest to taking away the fee ..:D

When they start converting bars on the ships to other venues then maybe I'll buy into the idea that they are trying to cut down on drinking. As long as you have to walk longer distances for food than for drinks... I'll not biting. Many times people probably aren't even thinking about a drink until someone comes by with a tray shouting "Bahama Mamas" and then folks get the urge to have one or twelve.

Think about how the staff gets paid. They get more people buying in the bars and from the roaming servers and the staff gets its 15% cut. This is all about ecomonics for RCI and the staff. And that is all fine. I hate it when RCI starts throwing out lame reasons in an attempt to apease people. As they say... I was born at night but it wasn't last night.

RCCL is beginning to get the reputation that Carnival had/has as the drunk cruise line. RCCL does not want this reputation. I do think they are going to cut back. I don't think RCCL will make any money off of this new policy. We have all seen many threads about the rowdy, drunk, behavior of both teens and adults. Limiting the amount of cheap hard liquor will surely slow down the drunks. When people are paying 6 bucks a drink they sure won't drink as much.

This will anger some people but, I bet that RCCL is going to be tougher with their policy on bringing alcohol onboard as well.

I am just LMAO on these threads!!!

Given the massive complaining that goes on regarding fees for JR, fees for specialty restaraunts, fees for ice cream, etc... who could possibly have imagined that we would all be complaining about them TAKING A FEE AWAY!!!

I have a feeling that the issue is that the amemity disappeared along with the fee! ;)

I emailed them and only got a standard reply back that I felt was not satifactory. I think the way to deal with this is if we all book other lines and send them an email. We would of sailed with them had they not changed the liquor consumption in cabin. I will be sailing on Celebrity and also Princess until they change this. Happy Sailing, Joy

I feel the same as joyandfred. We booked Jewel October2, first time on RCI, and I specifically checked their policy on this before booking. Right after final payment they change their policy. Very unfair, in my opinion. They should have changed the policy effective in 75 days or so. One of our favorite things to do is have happy hour on the balcony, or a nitecap. We love alone time on our annual cruise, and spend alot of time on the balcony. We still purchase wine in the dr, and have a cocktail poolside or whenever the fancy strikes us. I will be smuggling, and hate to be reduced to that, but feel entirely justified. If we hadn't already made final payment I'd switch lines. HAL could care less, bring wine, beer, purchase liquor on board for fee, whatever. I guess RCI doesn't trust passengers to use good judgement and act like mature adults, or else they are just dumb and greedy. I suspect the latter, and IMHO they are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I highly doubt over consumption and under age drinking had any bearing on their decision. During my lifetime there has always been under age drinking and over consumption of alcohol, whether it is on a cruise ship or anywhere else. My dearly departed father (who would be in his 90's now) stated the same thing to me more than 30 years ago. The decision was made by the revenue department. RCI wants all of the drinks purchased at the bar, so they can make a profit on these drinks. The surcharge does not make nearly as much of a profit as a bottle of liquor in a bar, period. RCI is simply looking for new revenue opportunities. As a matter of fact, they probably got the above idea from posters here on CC and it is a very weak argument.

There will always be people who over-consume, there will always be a way underage persons will find a way to get booze. The new policy will do absolutely nothing to inhibit that. All it serves to do is make a bunch of us mad about it. I'm not even much of a drinker and I'm mad about it and I let them know. The more people let them know, the better.

Perhaps RCI should have a surcharge at the beloved buffet and reason it away by saying they are trying to limit over-consumption of food there. It's all so silly.

Wait until the revenuers get a hold of the books and figure out how many people bring sodas and water on board and how much they are losing in that area. That'll be the next to go.

I think most of you need to get over it. It is only alcohol. You all make it sound like the sky is falling. It's not a big deal. You don't need to whine and cry. If alcohol means that much to you while you are on vacation maybe you need to get your priorities straight. There are more important things in life.

That was a tad patronizing, Erick. Nobody is whining or crying. I feel like some of our autonomy has been taken away on our very precious annual vacation alone. Furthermore, RCI is changing the terms after we made final payment. If we attempted that the cruise line would penalize us heavily. I am not sure I like the way they operate, and we haven't even sailed with them yet. This is a forum to share opinions, tips and insights. Policy change is worthy of discussion. It would behoove RCI to read these boards, as there are many, many cruise options for us all to choose from.

I think most of you need to get over it. It is only alcohol. You all make it sound like the sky is falling. It's not a big deal. You don't need to whine and cry. If alcohol means that much to you while you are on vacation maybe you need to get your priorities straight. There are more important things in life.

Why do you keep posting if the topic doesn't interest you? :rolleyes: Never mind; I don't care. You have no business telling others what their priorities should / shouldn't be.

It would behoove RCI to read these boards, as there are many, many cruise options for us all to choose from.

Yet none of them have an in cabin consumption fee. So it won't change no matter were you go.

You have no business telling others what their priorities should / shouldn't be.
Well, if your top priority is alcohol somebody needs to.

On all past cruises on HAL this was definitely an option, and hasn't changed to my knowledge. Also Celebrity lets you order bottles sent to the room. However, I don't have time to research this at the moment, or squabble with you, as I am off to the wine store to purchase a case. I want the Pinot Grigio cold when DH arrives on this hot Friday evening.

Well, if your top priority is alcohol somebody needs to.

People want to have cocktails on their balcony and you take it out of context as a "life priority" and act judgemental? Sounds to me like YOU have the issue. And BTW, many of those other cruise lines DO allow you to buy bottles of your favorite alcoholic beverage from room service for in-room consumption. We do not know yet whether RCI will provide this service. It isn't about the FEE; it's about knowing in advance what options will be available.

On all past cruises on HAL this was definitely an option, and hasn't changed to my knowledge. Also Celebrity lets you order bottles sent to the room. However, I don't have time to research this at the moment, or squabble with you, as I am off to the wine store to purchase a case. I want the Pinot Grigio cold when DH arrives on this hot Friday evening.

I was nice and did the research for you. It was all here on Cruise Critic.

Here is the info on HAL

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=36

Here is the info on Celebrity

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=31

I know my previous statements are a little strong but I stand by what I said. This is not the end of the world.

People want to have cocktails on their balcony and you take it out of context as a "life priority" and act judgemental?
There a many threads on this subject with hundreds of posts. People are overly obsessing about this subject and I had enough.
Sounds to me like YOU have the issue.
I do have an issue. My issue is why alcohol consumes us as a society and why it dominates everything we do. It's not a big deal. And BTW, many of those other cruise lines DO allow you to buy bottles of your favorite alcoholic beverage from room service for in-room consumption. We do not know yet whether RCI will provide this service.
Ok, I guess we'll see.
It isn't about the FEE; it's about knowing in advance what options will be available.

In my opinion RCCL saw the need for a change. I do think this change has to do with over consumption and underage consumption. RCCL has been getting a lot of heat recently and they saw the need to change things. It's not about money it's about their reputation.

When any cruise line, including RCCL, ceases to send their wait staff around the pool deck at the crack of dawn pushing the drink of the day, when the bands stop making a point to purchase the drink of the day or a bucket of beer, when the daily activity sheet stops pushing the drink of the day, when they raise the age for consumption to 21 for all alcohol drinks (not reduce as they did sometime ago) etc., then I will know that they are concerned about underage drinking and alcohol consumption in general.

The hole in this argument that they are trying to curb underage drinking is they they market beer and wine to 18 - 20 year olds. Granted, the parent has to sign off on that but that policy doesn't permit the kids to go to the gift shop to make a purchase. Plus, how many underage drinkers opt for a Martini, Manhatten or a scotch? When I was in college, the drink of choice was a beer, and RCCL knows it. Does RCCL only permit the 18 year olds 2 beers? I doubt it. Their position is hypocritical to say the least.

Eric,

I don't look at this from just the alcohol standpoint especially since I barely touch the stuff. But the issue is RCI has been making many changes to many various policies to the point where they are going to be affecting all of their customers to some degree. They riled up th J.R. fanatics, then it was the people who just have to have Sprinkles on the Royal Promenade, then came the no rebating by TAs policy, now it is the alcohol consumers. They seem to be finding a way to make sure that everyone who cruises with them is in someway affected. It is bad enough to rile up even one segment of your customer base but they are really pushing it.

Cruising is in a way very generic. We all cruise for different reasons and have our own things that we look forward to doing. What is important to one person is not necessarily going to be important to someone else. But we do all need to respect each other's priorities. Telling someone that something is not important and that they should stop whining really doesn't cut it. The next policy change may be the one that affects you. I think you would like for people to be understanding about that even if they don't see it as a big deal.

I have no idea how to run a cruise line but I do know how to run a business. Coming up with weekly ideas on how to annoy people, even if it provides short term financial benefits, would not be part of my plan nor would making politically correct statements in order to try to appease the people I just aggitated.

When any cruise line, including RCCL, ceases to send their wait staff around the pool deck at the crack of dawn pushing the drink of the day, when the bands stop making a point to purchase the drink of the day or a bucket of beer, when the daily activity sheet stops pushing the drink of the day, when they raise the age for consumption to 21 for all alcohol drinks (not reduce as they did sometime ago) etc., then I will know that they are concerned about underage drinking and alcohol consumption in general.

The hole in this argument that they are trying to curb underage drinking is they they market beer and wine to 18 - 20 year olds. Granted, the parent has to sign off on that but that policy doesn't permit the kids to go to the gift shop to make a purchase. Plus, how many underage drinkers opt for a Martini, Manhatten or a scotch? When I was in college, the drink of choice was a beer, and RCCL knows it. Does RCCL only permit the 18 year olds 2 beers? I doubt it. Their position is hypocritical to say the least.

Then what purpose do they have for this new policy. They will not make any money off of it. People are not going to pay 6 bucks a drink.

I have no idea how to run a cruise line but I do know how to run a business. Coming up with weekly ideas on how to annoy people, even if it provides short term financial benefits, would not be part of my plan nor would making politically correct statements in order to try to appease the people I just aggitated.

This is what makes me think they had to have had a good reason to do this with such haste. With all of the other changes there was fare warning. This change had none. Like I said, RCCL is getting a bad rep. right now. They are going to do anything to change this. I think this is one of those things to change it. I would bet there are plans in the works to raise the beer and wine age back to 21.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=143

Disney doesn't seem to have a problem with pax bringing their own hooch onboard. A family in front of us had 4 cases of beer and wine to check in when we sailed the Magic. Perhaps, a cruise line with approximately 800-1000 kids onboard every sailing views onboard consumption as a necessity!

Joni