• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

FLL Sun Trolley Experiences

Elaine5715

Has anyone used the Sun Trolley to explore Fort Lauderdale? Specifically looking to take it from The Hampton on 12th Ave to Las Olas areas in August. Do you have to transfer? If I have to get off one trolley and walk along the route to the next Trolley, is it safe for a single female alone? Are enough locals versed in the routes to point it out? Recommend or not? Just take a taxi? If so, where should I tell the taxi to drop me off?

I would like to visit the shopping/dining areas and spend the day since I am coming in two days early.

Has anyone used the Sun Trolley to explore Fort Lauderdale? Specifically looking to take it from The Hampton on 12th Ave to Las Olas areas in August. Do you have to transfer? If I have to get off one trolley and walk along the route to the next Trolley, is it safe for a single female alone? Are enough locals versed in the routes to point it out? Recommend or not? Just take a taxi? If so, where should I tell the taxi to drop me off?

I would like to visit the shopping/dining areas and spend the day since I am coming in two days early.

Route information is available at http://www.suntrolley.com.

There are no SunTrolleys that go by the Hampton Inn. You would have to walk 8 blocks to the airport link in a somewhat seedy neighborhood, then take the downtown link to Las Olas. Just take a taxi to Riverside Hotel on Las Olas and find your way around from there.

There are no SunTrolleys that go by the Hampton Inn. You would have to walk 8 blocks to the airport link in a somewhat seedy neighborhood, then take the downtown link to Las Olas. Just take a taxi to Riverside Hotel on Las Olas and find your way around from there.

Thank you..that was what I was concerned about. I figured the Trolley itself was fine but it the walking through unfamiliar neighborhoods that is concerning

If you want to take public transportation, the other option is to take the 6 bus north from across the street from the Hampton Inn to the main terminal, then the 11 east to Las Olas. I know several people who have been mugged near the bus terminal though, so I wouldn't do it alone.

Edited by royalcruz

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at the sun trolley in preparation to an upcoming cruise when I will have some time to kill while waiting for my return flight home. Reviews are mixed regarding how user-friendly it is. Check Yelp and Tripadvisor. There are complaints of poorly-marked stops and drivers that don't stop when they should.

The trolley has no real schedule. So you could be wasting time at a stop. We waited over 20 min. at a "major" stop (and actually just started walking after 15 min.) and ended up hopping a city bus to Harbor Shops on one of our stays. We did catch one back to the hotel after our shopping.

So if you are using it to see the area on a limited time schedule..not the best idea. Too some routes aren't always running. I'd just figure out what you want to see and do and use scheduled bus service or cabs. The city isn't that large. And of course there is water taxis. But those too have no real schedule to follow.

Edited by eandj

• 1 month later...
Hello,

We were planning going to the Galleria Mall at the end of the afternoon, so I presume will have to take a cab to return on 17th street?

The 40 bus goes from the east side of the mall to 17th St and runs later. Check Broward County Transit for the schedule. A taxi would cost less than $20.

You really have to look at the schedule for the Sun Trolley, things may have changed but there are days that it doesn't operate on certain routes. As I recall the stop in the Harbor Shops is in the vicinity of Publix a little toward Total Wine.

Edited by Putterdude

• 2 months later...
We plan to use the Sun Trolley for our cruise this December. Is it worthwhile to take it around the whole route to get an idea of the area, and how long will that take? Then we will make an agenda of must-sees, and we can always take a taxi back if it is no longer running.

There are several routes and none of them are particularly long. The Las Olas and Beach link routes are most interesting.