• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Family group cruise question

mom2girls

I'm coordinating a family group cruise. When I called a TA they told me that you get more OBC by booking individually rather than a group. The costs of the rooms would only be about $5 less as a group. My question is should we look for another TA, book individually, or book as a group? Right now, our group is about 10 cabins.

I'm coordinating a family group cruise. When I called a TA they told me that you get more OBC by booking individually rather than a group. The costs of the rooms would only be about $5 less as a group. My question is should we look for another TA, book individually, or book as a group? Right now, our group is about 10 cabins.

I would look for another Agent. I say this because even though it's only a small difference you lose the amenity points (if applicable) and the free berth. With every 8 cabins and 16 full price passengers you get a free passenger but they would have to pay taxes and port fees or you could split the free berth among your guests.

I've led a group cruise before. You don't get an entire cabin free. You only get one passenger in the category of most cabins booked. In the past I didn't get reimbursed until several weeks after the cruise.

...and whomever gets the "free passage" doesn't get VIFP points. We tried setting up our wedding as a group booking, but we weren't excited about the idea of giving up control of the booking and it was an extra $100pp higher than booking on our own and forgoing the amenity points (they weren't deal breakers for our group). We just had each person/group book on their own using whatever rate code they wanted. Our group wanted a variety of everything from 1As to Grand Suites, so it made it easier.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

The pricing comes directly from Carnival.

Also, any gimmees you would receive are based on Amenity points. Each cruise has a limited number of points available. More can be purchased.

Points ca purchase OBC, photo coupons, wine, cocktail parties etc.

The more off season a cruise is, the more amenity points available and it's possible to see the free berth at five cabins instead of eight.

High season itins have lower amenity points available. Some cruises have none.

The TA can book passengers under other rates for a group cruise but not all rates are eligible for Points. Those booked under these non-Amenity point fares can be linked for dining but are not eligible for any gimmees. Nor does their cabin go towards the free berth monies.

The free berth monies are mailed out after the cruise. At time, a TA will front the money as OBC, knowing that a check will be arriving soon.

I think we'll book separately. How do we get our reservations linked so that we can sit together at dinner?

When you make bookings or as people make bookings, just ask for your booking numbers to be linked. We did a three-way call with people who weren't sure what they were doing and helped them make sure they got the room and price they wanted--we'd then hang up once it was time for payment information.

I'd call a few weeks before sailing, just to confirm that everything is linked up properly.

There's a general misconception that Group Rates offer a discount for booking a larger number of people. The benefits of Group Rates are the onboard amenities and were explained well above by SadieN.

If Group Rates were indeed lower priced they would be touted as Group Discount Rates.