• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Questions about Rome cruise port

Hello

can you experts answer a few questions for me, we are planning a cruise to Rome next spring and I was wondering about:

1. What time can I walk off the ship when disembarking in Rome?

2. Should I hire a cab to FCO airport, if so do you know the charge?

3. Should I hire a company to transfer me?

4. My flight is at 11:20am

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The time you can get off the ship depends on the time your ship arrives, as well as other unpredictable variables such as length of time to clear it.

If your flight is direct to the States on a US branded airline (American, United, US Air, Delta) you'll depart from terminal T5, which has additional security and takes more time to clear than other flights/terminals at FCO.

If this is the case, you'd want to be at the airport by 8:30 AM. The airport is about one hour by road from the cruise port, so I would want a pre-arranged car service rather than going seat-of-the-pants with a taxi. The fixed fare by taxi from the port to the airport is 120 Euro.

I would arrange for a private car to pick you up.

We use rome cabs.

They are a private vehicle service not a taxi company.

Web site is http://www.romecabs.com

I would want to be picked up by 8:15 AM as I prefer 2 hours or more at FCO.

I would check with the cruise line to see what time disembarkation begins but usually it is fairly early at this port.

Keith

Agree with Keith. We were on the Reflection in June. Romecabs is great. We used them for all our transfers. Will use them again!

Remember Civitavecchia is quite a distance from Rome and FCO. Allow plenty of time. We stayed in Rome an extra night after the cruise so we wouldn't have to rush from the ship to FCO.

A related question from me. We set sail from Rome . We are flying in the day before as the flight times are a bit tight on the actual day . As we haven't been to Rome before we are pleased as we will be able to explore a little . Would any of you seasoned travellers be able to suggest whether it would be better to stay in Rome so that we are close to the sights and then take a car to the port the next day? Or, stay at the port and travel into the city for sightseeing purposes? I'm beginning to think the former might be better to maximise the opportunity to sight see as in reality it will amount to half a day as we will arrive at around 12 ish. I'm interested in views though?

A related question from me. We set sail from Rome . We are flying in the day before as the flight times are a bit tight on the actual day . As we haven't been to Rome before we are pleased as we will be able to explore a little . Would any of you seasoned travellers be able to suggest whether it would be better to stay in Rome so that we are close to the sights and then take a car to the port the next day? Or, stay at the port and travel into the city for sightseeing purposes? I'm beginning to think the former might be better to maximise the opportunity to sight see as in reality it will amount to half a day as we will arrive at around 12 ish. I'm interested in views though?

Yes, I would do the former.

I would recommend staying over in Rome. I would get a car and have them give you a little tour as you make your way from FCO into Rome and over to your hotel. Check in and then spend a few hours seeing what you can.

Then you can make your way the following morning over to the cruise port.

I am not sure where you are traveling from. If you are starting from the USA I will warn you that you will likely be tired when you arrive but you are still best to do touring and stay up as long as you can so that when you go to sleep you are on European time.

Keith

I definitely recommend you stay in Rome overnight. Experiencing the city in the evening (and having dinner there) are wonderful experiences, assuming you're not wiped out from the air travel. Also, if you stay in Rome, you can get a half-day of sightseeing in the next morning as well. Some people rush to board the ship, but depending on what time you sail, you shouldn't need to leave the city before noon and maybe as late as 2 or 3. (Depending on how you plan to get to the port.)

When you say you're interested in views, do you mean from your hotel? If so, you cannot do better than to stay at the Albergo del Senato in Rome. It overlooks the Pantheon and many of its rooms have a priceless view. (Well, not quite priceless, it does come with a good-sized price tag. But for one night in Rome, worth it.)

Agree with previous two posts. Stay in Rome. Spend a little extra $ if necessary. Rome is wonderful, get out and walk the city.

Recommend hiring a car service for transport from FCO to Rome and Rome to port. Its worth it. We like Romecabs.