• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Statendam - Panama Canal - First Timer questions

First off - I apologize for asking if these questions have already been asked. I have searched and searched to no avail:o

Can I take on board - water, sodas ?

Do the windows in an ocean view cabin open?

Where is the secret door?

Bon Voyage - can I throw streamers etc?

Can I bring and use a power strip? I've heard yes / no

Any suggestions as to where to watch while going through the canal?

I think that's it for this round :-)

First Time Cruiser and VERY excited - Debbie

First off - I apologize for asking if these questions have already been asked. I have searched and searched to no avail:o

Can I take on board - water, sodas ? Probably

Do the windows in an ocean view cabin open? NO

Where is the secret door?

Bon Voyage - can I throw streamers etc? NO

Can I bring and use a power strip? I've heard yes / no

Any suggestions as to where to watch while going through the canal?

I would also ask on the HAL forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Edited by LHT28

I went through the canal earlier this year. You need to move around the ship for different views. Most ships open areas on the bow that are normally crew areas during the transit. Going up to a top deck where you can see in many directions is also a good stop for part of the day. The canal is amazing especially when you consider it opened a hundred years ago after many decades of planning, building, failed attempts, and huge loss of life.

Can I take on board - water, sodas ? Yes -- HAL allows you to bring as much water and soda onto the ship as you want -- no limits. You can also bring one 750 ml bottle of wine per adult person in the cabin -- must be in your carry-on.

Do the windows in an ocean view cabin open? No

Where is the secret door? We have sailed HAL a lot and I have never heard of a secret door.

Bon Voyage - can I throw streamers etc? No

Can I bring and use a power strip? I've heard yes / no Pack one in your suitcase just in case they run out of them at the front office. HAL prefers you to use their power strips.

Any suggestions as to where to watch while going through the canal? Going through the locks you will want to be out on the bow.

I think that's it for this round :-)

First Time Cruiser and VERY excited - Debbie

It can be very hot and humid as you go through the canal -- take a hat, sunscreen and drink plenty of water. Don't stay out all day.

HAL also has Panama Buns everywhere the morning you start through the canal -- delicious.

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

You really want to roam about the ship during the canal passage....it takes a LONG time. See it from all sides and deck levels. It looks totally different from the upper decks to the lower, promenade decks!

You do need to move about. If you plant yourself in one place, you'll miss about 75% of the sights!!

Edited by cb at sea

I don't know where your ocean view cabin is, but they tend to be LOW on the ship, and we got a kick out of going to our ocean view cabin during one lock, sitting on the bed (which is right under the window), and watching the walls come up/go down in front of our faces. The distance between ship and wall is so small. We also got to wave a the people working on the canal as we rose/sunk by them!

There is no one good place - as everyone else has said - move around!

And read David McCullough's book on the history of the Panama Canal before you go. It's big but fascinating.