• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

QM2 Deck 5 Noise?

Tess of the Sea

How is Deck 5 on QM2 in terms of noise? I'm referring to staterooms that are more aft or forward. Is there a lot of engine vibration aft? What about noise in the forward locations?

Would it be better to be located aft of forward on Deck 10 or 11 in terms of noise?

Also, in terms of ship's motion, to avoid seasickness, is aft better than forward on Deck 5? I'm really referring to the most aft and forward staterooms that are technically midships.

Hi Tess,

I have been in 5243 and 5167. There was a little more vibration in 5243 but it was not really enough to be a concern. There were no problems at all with 5167. We have also been in 10035. There was no vibration in that cabin and I don't really remember feeling motion. However, we did not encounter rough seas. We loved that cabin because of the private location of those cabins. We would always choose aft over forward for motion. The cabins where we have felt the most motion have been forward. If you can get a cabin in the area of 5167, I think you will be happy. As I'm sure you know, you are more likely to feel motion on Deck 10 than on Deck 5.

Last time we were in 5208, maybe 3/4 of the way back on the port side.

If i went out on the balcony I could hear a low hum from an air intake located above the Deck 7 promenade. If was about the pitch of a distant foghorn. Not loud enough to be bothersome but just loud enough to make me search out its source.

I would be more concerned about staterooms in the range of 5133 through 5184. The engine exhaust piping runs up through the space inboard of the passageway in thisrange of rooms and sometimes I've felt vibration in the passageway on the starboard side (odd numbered rooms). But I've never stayed in this range so I don't know whether there's a problem in the rooms.

The forward rooms will have more pitching but I think this is less of an issue on QM2 than QV or QE. We've been in 5031 and 5048 and didn't have pitching problems in either but weather is also a factor, I'm sure.

There's usually a good step in price to move to deck 10 or 11. We've only been there on the transatlantic (11031) for our 25th anniversary and would do it again but normally I'd rather not spend the $.

Edited by Underwatr

We were in starboard cabin 5063 on eastbound transatlantic in June 2012. There was a different cabin classification back then, but I see that this is now one of the most forward ones in the "midships" group. We felt no vibrations and heard no noise. As to motion, we did not encounter any really bad weather though there were a few days of fairly high seas. We were not bothered at all by the motion, and loved the gentle movement--like being rocked to sleep. We were upgraded a few weeks before sailing from an oceanview cabin further forward, so were thrilled to have any kind of balcony cabin instead.

We are doing a westbound crossing in October, and this time we are in in port cabin 4176, aft. It's all not way aft, but about midway along the aft group. We really liked the deck 5 somewhat forward position, as it was closer to things we wanted to get to. Our deck 4 cabin is above the Queens Room, so I'm a bit concerned about possible noise at night, but at least it isn't above the G32 nightclub!

For the sheltered balcony cabins, deck 5 has the advantage of being between 2 cabin decks. Deck 4 is above public spaces, while deck 6 is below the promenade deck, King's Court, Grills restaurants, and gym. I've read a few postings here about people being able to hear early morning joggers overhead from deck 6 cabins but I can't personally vouch for that. If you have options for deck 5, I think it would be a very safe bet. As imacruzer says above, lower is better in terms of motion.

Edited by maina

Hi,

I am booked on a westbound crossing this November in 5040 (sheltered balcony forward). Hopefully, this is a good stateroom. This is my first time on Deck 5 and in a sheltered balcony stateroom. On previous sailings, I have booked inside staterooms on Deck 4.

Chuck