using uber in Newark

ginamichelle

Hi, Leaving on EOS on 9/11/14 staying at a Hilton in the area. Not the one with the shuttle service(don't ask) Any way was going to use a uber car service to get to the port but was wondering if there is a special car/taxi drop off lane? I have never left out of this port. Just wondering any info would be great. :)

No special drop off lane.

Please report back on your experience with Uber to share with other cruisers.

Thanks.

Carol

H'mm I may just change my hotel. Don't want to be sitting in a car for a hour paying for it. Though I do love uber. Use them about 3-4 times a week here in San Francisco. So if I shuttle same thing? What is the wait time usually?

Thank You for such a quick response. Yoe are L'awesome

just a word about Uber...there is more than one Uber in the NY Area, UberT, Uber X, Uber black and Uber VIP(I believe) each has their own pricing model.

When cars are scarce they use a surge pricing model for up to 5 times the non surge pricing cost. They warn you about it on the screen but its easy to miss. Uber uses the same car and drivers from various livery cab/car services. Its app for your smart phone. That isn't necessarily bad as it will cause some change in an otherwise tradition bound industry...

LYFT is different as it uses non a traditional model. It uses people "going my way" except that in NY they have to use for hire licensed cars and drivers....

Which hotel are you staying in on Sep 10 and what are you paying? I'm assuming you are flying in and out of Newark. What time do you arrive? Are you sightseeing in NYC?

Cabs/car service should be about $50-60 to the port. Shared shuttle back to EWR is $16/pp.

just a word about Uber...there is more than one Uber in the NY Area, UberT, Uber X, Uber black and Uber VIP(I believe) each has their own pricing model.

When cars are scarce they use a surge pricing model for up to 5 times the non surge pricing cost. They warn you about it on the screen but its easy to miss. Uber uses the same car and drivers from various livery cab/car services. Its app for your smart phone. That isn't necessarily bad as it will cause some change in an otherwise tradition bound industry...

LYFT is different as it uses non a traditional model. It uses people "going my way" except that in NY they have to use for hire licensed cars and drivers....

Thanks for the info I use uber all the time here and everywhere I travel I have gotten dinged by the extra cost once or twice. Out here in San Francisco they are trying to phase out the black town car part going to only Mercedes and BMW not sure why? I do love the ease of the service.:)

Which hotel are you staying in on Sep 10 and what are you paying? I'm assuming you are flying in and out of Newark. What time do you arrive? Are you sightseeing in NYC?

Cabs/car service should be about $50-60 to the port. Shared shuttle back to EWR is $16/pp.

A Hilton and around two hundred. I may run into the city for a cocktail with a old friend not real sure, If I do will just use uber again for travel. Yes I am flying into EWR arrive at 4. No sightseeing just a easy arrival (I hope!) and early night.

Are you staying at the Newark Airport Hilton or the Newark Penn Station Hilton? Last minute travel has the first at $155 incl tax and the second at $187 incl tax. If you want to run into NYC, stay at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and take the train across the street to New York Penn Station and a cab or Uber to your Manhattan destination.

Thanks for the info I use uber all the time here and everywhere I travel I have gotten dinged by the extra cost once or twice. Out here in San Francisco they are trying to phase out the black town car part going to only Mercedes and BMW not sure why? I do love the ease of the service.:)

In NY at least most of the livery/car services cars are black anyway. UberX and Uber Black send the same cars. I think the idea was to be more luxurious,,,btw the "fight" here is between Ubex and LYFT.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20140807/BLOGS04/140809902/lyft-takes-on-uber-and-wins-for-now#utm_source=Daily%20Alert&utm_medium=alert-html&utm_campaign=Newsletters

Where does one get this shared shuttle for this rate? Is it something we must pre-book?

You get right outside the terminal. (under the current set up you turn to your left after walking out the door...at this point no one knows what the set up will be when the new terminal opens)

There's no prebooking or prepayment. A dispatcher directs loading of the shuttles.

You get right outside the terminal. (under the current set up you turn to your left after walking out the door...at this point no one knows what the set up will be when the new terminal opens)

There's no prebooking or prepayment. A dispatcher directs loading of the shuttles.

Great. Thanks for explaining that part.

Next questions: are these huge bus-type shuttles where we are sitting for 30+ minutes waiting for them to leave or are they more like the large van-type that won't take long to fill and head out?

And finally, this will be disembarking Celebrity Summit in October (if that matters) - would you expect the lines to catch the shuttle to be long?

Am trying to gauge how long this entire process will take so I can book a flight accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear 138East,

If our flight leaves EWR at 8 pm on a Thursday, what time do we need to board the shuttle at PABT?

Thanks!

Great. Thanks for explaining that part.

Next questions: are these huge bus-type shuttles where we are sitting for 30+ minutes waiting for them to leave or are they more like the large van-type that won't take long to fill and head out?

And finally, this will be disembarking Celebrity Summit in October (if that matters) - would you expect the lines to catch the shuttle to be long?

Am trying to gauge how long this entire process will take so I can book a flight accordingly.

It looks like no one responded to your question. Sorry about that. I wouldn't expect the lines for the shuttle to be long. They use vans, fill them up with people, and send them off to the airport. What time did you book a flight?

Dear 138East,

If our flight leaves EWR at 8 pm on a Thursday, what time do we need to board the shuttle at PABT?

Thanks!

Could you provide more details? I'm confused about what you're doing all day on a Thursday before an 8 pm flight. PABT is Port Authority Bus Terminal - how are you getting there? There is an airport bus that leaves from there to go to EWR for $16/pp. if you're flying domestically, you have to check in by 7 pm, so I'd leave PABT no later than 5:30. If you can roll your luggage, I'd consider taking the train from New York Penn Station during rush hour - more frequent service and not subject to traffic congestion in the Lincoln Tunnel or the turnpike. You could take a 6 pm train and be at the airport by about 6:30 pm.

It looks like no one responded to your question. Sorry about that. I wouldn't expect the lines for the shuttle to be long. They use vans, fill them up with people, and send them off to the airport. What time did you book a flight?

Glad they are vans - much quicker to fill. Our flight is at 12:25pm so what time do you think we should disembark? (this is Sunday, Oct. 5th)

Do we need to pay cash for the shuttle to EWR?

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with Uber from Newark to Cape Liberty last week:

We were ready to leave Newark airport at 11:40AM on a Sunday on our way to board the Celebrity Summit. I used their app to request a UberX driver and he was there in about two minutes. The car was a late model black Toyota Avalon. The fare to the port was $30, including tolls and the various extra charges. We were at the terminal by Noon.

Just as a point of reference, before we left Newark airport I asked how much was a taxi to the port. It was $46 flat rate, plus tolls, plus a $5-$7 "convenience fee" is you wanted to use a credit card (you had to purchase a voucher in advance).

Coming back to the airport, after clearing customs, we used the app to request another UberX driver and the nearest one was about 15 minutes away. This was at about 9:30AM. We called and told him the "stall number" at which we were waiting (the big numbers at the top of the tent), then watched the app as it showed us his progress to the port on a map. This time, the car was a late model black Nissan Altima. The fare to the port this time was $25.

We also checked the rate quotes for UberBlack and UberSUV. If I remember correctly, those quotes were about $60 and $90 respectively.

Overall, this was a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. It was much more pleasant than using the surly taxi drivers in their beat-up cars that we have experienced there in the past.

We were ready to leave Newark airport at 11:40AM on a Sunday on our way to board the Celebrity Summit. I used their app to request a UberX driver and he was there in about two minutes. The car was a late model black Toyota Avalon. The fare to the port was $30, including tolls and the various extra charges. We were at the terminal by Noon.

Just as a point of reference, before we left Newark airport I asked how much was a taxi to the port. It was $46 flat rate, plus tolls, plus a $5-$7 "convenience fee" is you wanted to use a credit card (you had to purchase a voucher in advance).

Coming back to the airport, after clearing customs, we used the app to request another UberX driver and the nearest one was about 15 minutes away. This was at about 9:30AM. We called and told him the "stall number" at which we were waiting (the big numbers at the top of the tent), then watched the app as it showed us his progress to the port on a map. This time, the car was a late model black Nissan Altima. The fare to the port this time was $25.

We also checked the rate quotes for UberBlack and UberSUV. If I remember correctly, those quotes were about $60 and $90 respectively.

Overall, this was a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. It was much more pleasant than using the surly taxi drivers in their beat-up cars that we have experienced there in the past.

Thanks Great to know

Thanks. My experience is that taxi's/car services in NJ are vastly overpriced for the time and distance that they drive. It seems that Uber may help that(see my comment about tradition bound industry above). The experience with Uber black and Uber VIP does show higher pricing. Uber X in NY city gets you a car service and Uber T gets you a lime green out of boro metered cab. The lime green ones can't pick up at the airports.

This recent article from the NY Times discusses what has always been my main concern as a retired property and casualty actuary about services like Uber and Lyft. Essentially there is likely a lack of proper insurance coverage for many of the drivers providing these services, and drivers are basically lying to their insurers when they have an accident in order to cover up the fact that under most circumstances private passenger automobile insurance policies do not cover for hire activities. (By the way this does not appear to be the case in NY City because there the Taxi and Limousine Commission has forced these transportation services to be provided by properly licensed and insured vehicles. I applaud the TLC's concern for the riding public. California has also now passed a law correcting this problem.)

So the next time you're gloating about saving $10 by using using Uber or Lyft you better hope that you're not injured in an accident while you're in that car because you may find yourself swinging in the wind without proper insurance coverage .

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/06/your-money/auto-insurance/offloading-the-risk-in-renting-a-car-ride.html?_r=0

Edited by njhorseman

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/15/news/uber-protest-nyc/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

In NY City at least and as long as the Uber or Lyft are NY TLC licensed cars(which they are), they have the same insurance as all the other licensed cars. The insurance is not very much. The base stations do provide more insurance than you would get in a private car or in a yellow cab. Yellow cabs although the medallion is valuable, its always covered by a loan lien that if there is lawsuit would be paid off first.

Both Uber and Lyft tend to use an introductory price that is low and then raise it as people get used to using the service. Uber has surge pricing that can be over 5 times the regular price..but that will show up on the app...

• 1 year later...

Relaying our experiences getting to & from Cape Liberty (Bayonne).

We booked Anthem of the Seas for a 12/27/15 departure from Cape Liberty. We stayed overnight prior in midtown Manhattan. On Sunday morning, we called an Uber (1 minute wait) and departed at 10:41am, and arrived at the ship at about 11:25am. We then waited in line about 13 minutes to be dropped off, at 11:38am, so the total Uber trip time was 57 minutes, total cost $73.21. The Uber driver knew exactly where to go, and it was the same dropoff line used by anyone arriving via car.

Upon return to Cape Liberty, I called up Uber after clearing customs at 7:05am (we did self-checkout), and the Uber app said it'd be a 20 minute wait for UberX. We walked out to the taxi line (across the road from Zone 15) and there were a zillion taxis right there waiting, and no line. So we took a taxi instead of Uber. Taxi line lady quoted $68.50 to Newark Airport (EWR); upon arrival at EWR, driver demanded $78.50. Whatever. Either way, it was a super fast trip - we walked out of our staterooms at 6:51am, cleared customs at 7:05am, and were in EWR by 7:29am.

Good luck!

Edited by Glenn90

• 4 months later...

Another Uber testimonial:

My wife and I actually flew in the day before and got 24hr rental car from LGA to EWR. Cost was $62 via Thrifty's pay-in-advance service. Embarkation morning, I dropped my wife off with our luggage at the port and she hung out in the seating area for me to get back. (no other reason than to ease our own burden)

I returned the car to EWR and caught an Uber car back to the port for $17.

Upon the end of the cruise, we had a 4pm flight out of LGA, thus plenty of time. Initial plan was to take the $16/person shuttle to EWR and then the $31/person shuttle from EWR to LGA. Total cost being $94.

Having nothing but time, we requested the last departure time off the ship (9:30am) and made our way to the seating area. I check Uber, and there was a 1.6x multiplier (~$75-$85 estimate, per the app). We figured we'd wait, as there'd certainly be people showing up within the hour with Uber and the demand would drop.

Over the next 10 mins, the surge pricing fluctuated between 1.3x and 1.6x, then started fluctuating between no surge and 1.3x pricing. So I confirmed an Uber during a no surge window (and it won't change on you once you confirm your pickup location, so it's not a "race" at this point).

My wife and I were picked up a few minutes later in a Ford Focus with a very clean interior. Since we're divers, we have an entire suitcase of just dive gear, thus a lot of luggage. Our driver loaded our suitcases in the car for us (although I was doing what I could to help).

Final cost from Cape Liberty to LGA: $53. (and this INCLUDES the ~$20 in tolls he had to pay).

If I had to pay the 1.6x surge, I'd STILL choose Uber over a nasty cab. The only downside is that Uber can't be reserved, so a plan B is necessary. Worst case scenario: no Uber available, then you always have the cabs, 411, or shuttle bus options.

At the end of the day, however, this is a no-brainer. Uber has always proven (for me) to be easier to arrange, cheaper to use, and cleaner to sit in.

It's easy to be cheaper if you're not paying for commercial car-for-hire auto insurance, commercial registration fees for the car and the licensing fees legitimate taxi and limo companies are required to pay.

Hopefully the legislation pending in Trenton will pass in the near future and eliminate the unfair advantage Uber has over licensed taxi and limo operations as well as providing the riding public the protections of proper insurance coverage they're entitled to have.

By the way any Uber driver wiling to take you to LGA from Cape Liberty for $53 tolls included could be described with words similar to "no brainer", though not in a complimentary way. In addition to not providing proper insurance protection for their riders, Uber is ripping off their drivers. Your driver lost money after taking Uber's cut, tolls, the cost of gasoline and depreciation of his vehicle.