AutoProgreso/ Scared of missing Ship. Experiences good/bad?

I want to try an AutoProgreso tour but I am really scared of missing the ship. Has this ever happened to anyone? I do explore on my own in Cozumel but have been to scared to try in Progreso.

Anyone ever had a bus break down or not made it back because they took an Autoprogreso tour instead of a carnival excursion?

I have used them twice, once to Uxmal and once to Merida. I would not hesitate to use them again. They are a full blown bus company, operating bus service between Progreso and Merida. The buses and vans that I saw at their terminal all looked well maintained and in very good shape, for whatever that's worth. I asked and was told if anything happens to one of their vehicles on a tour that they have back-up contingency plans that include their vehicles as well as others.

Autoprogreso is also the company that will shuttle you down the long pier from the ship so they have a vested interest in ensuring your timely arrival back. I would recommend them.

In February, my husband and I and my two sisters were on a Carnival cruise that stopped in Progreso. One of my sisters wanted to go to Chichen Itza, so I compared the price with Carnival and with Auto Progreso, and to save money chose AP. It's nearly two hours to get to the site, and then the tour guide had us go to some hotel nearby, where we had to pay $7 each for entry! He said we could pay $15 and get lunch included. We chose not to do that. There was a cenote there that was interesting to see, but the whole stop was unnecessary. On the way back to the ship, the van broke down! We had to wait for another vehicle to come get us. I was sweating bullets worrying about making it back to the ship on time, since that wasn't a Carnival tour, they wouldn't wait on us! I was kicking myself for trying to save money and putting us in such a predicament. We got back to Progreso with about ten minutes to spare, they told us to run! Boos and cheers from the people already on the ship. The engine was going, only one gangplank left to get on, Carnival officers not looking very happy. I suppose AP would be fine if you're not going far, but I will never take a risk like this again. I had always thought that pier runners were just people who stayed in the bars too long, I'll never think that again!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello. We used Auto-Progresso on our last cruise and did the Combo tour and we will be using them again next April. We had absolutely no problems with them or with the bus breaking down. With that said, if you are wanting to take the Chichen Itza tour (which is really far).....you should just spend the extra money & go with the Cruise Tour. That way, you do not have to worry if you are late because The Boat Will Not Leave Without the Cruise tour passengers!:D If you are doing any of the other tours....go with A.P.;)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm wanting to book auto progreso for Uxmal, Did you purchase your tickets at the port or in advance online?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

We usually buy our tickets after we arrive at Progresso pier. We like to email them ahead of time to let them know we are planning on taking the tour. Guadalupe has been very helpful in the past

I feel more comfortable with using Carnival sponsered tours that are more than an hour away from the ship. I have been cruising for many years.

Last October, we went to Chichen Itza with Carnival. One couple missed the bus coming back, we waited and eventually left them there!!

Geez that was with Carnival. The couple eventually got caught up to the bus, one of the tours guides from the bus stayed at Chchen Itza to find them...........but they had to pay a TAXI 200.00 to catch up to the bus. The tour operators radioed ahead and told the Elation that we were running late. It was pouring buckets...........we had to dash through all the CLOSED shopping area there at Progresso to get on the ship. The carnival employees were waiting with TOWELs to give us to dry off as we got on the ship.

I always wondered and thought about going with AP or some other vendor (farther than hr away) but with this happening, I know for sure that you are best to stay with Carnival excursions. And yeah it is more, maybe 10.00 per person more, but I think the peace of mind is definately worth it

I always wondered and thought about going with AP or some other vendor (farther than hr away) but with this happening, I know for sure that you are best to stay with Carnival excursions. And yeah it is more, maybe 10.00 per person more, but I think the peace of mind is definately worth it

It is actually $30 more per person for the Uxmal tour through Carnival. For a large group that could add up to a lot of money. Of course, missing the ship could cost a lot more too.

We are considering Uxmal and are not sure if we will go through Carnival or AP.

• 1 month later...
It is actually $30 more per person for the Uxmal tour through Carnival. For a large group that could add up to a lot of money. Of course, missing the ship could cost a lot more too.

We are considering Uxmal and are not sure if we will go through Carnival or AP.

Just returned from our cruise and did end up using auto progreso for our excursion to Uxmal. Very easy! As soon as you go through the duty-free store to the main shopping area in port they have a booth to purchase tickets. Take the same buses as everyone else off the pier to central progreso. The tour bus left from the same spot to Uxmal. There are quite a few shops in this same bus area but they were way more pushy than the shopping at the pier. Tour price was significantly cheaper than carnivals $ and we got back with even a few hours to spare in which we did the port and duty free shopping. Would use auto progreso again.

Just returned from our cruise and did end up using auto progreso for our excursion to Uxmal. Very easy! As soon as you go through the duty-free store to the main shopping area in port they have a booth to purchase tickets. Take the same buses as everyone else off the pier to central progreso. The tour bus left from the same spot to Uxmal. There are quite a few shops in this same bus area but they were way more pushy than the shopping at the pier. Tour price was significantly cheaper than carnivals $ and we got back with even a few hours to spare in which we did the port and duty free shopping. Would use auto progreso again.

Thanks for posting your experience, we are definitely considering booking with AutoProgresso for our October cruise.

So when you get off the ship, you buy your ticket and then you have to catch a bus to Central Progresso and then on to Uxumal? How far is the ride and the cost of the bus?

Edited by dioxide45

Thanks for posting your experience, we are definitely considering booking with AutoProgresso for our October cruise.

So when you get off the ship, you buy your ticket and then you have to catch a bus to Central Progresso and then on to Uxumal? How far is the ride and the cost of the bus?

The bus ride from the pier is free for everyone. It's the only way to get to the town as the pier is like 4 miles long. Takes just a few minutes. Once you get to the bus terminal/central progreso you do get off to board the tour bus to Uxmal.

The bus ride from the pier is free for everyone. It's the only way to get to the town as the pier is like 4 miles long. Takes just a few minutes. Once you get to the bus terminal/central progreso you do get off to board the tour bus to Uxmal.

You may take a big bus (Greyhound Type) or an airport shuttle type. We have had both. Each time we had a great time and felt perfectly safe.