• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Crystal Cruise ship vs Oceania ship?

lamwinn

I have used Oceania ship few times and love it (except its entertainments are sucks). I would like to receive some feedback or input whether Crystal is the same or better than O ship. I would like to experience with C ship, but im still debating. I also have experienced with other ships like: Celebrity, Princess, Disney, Carnival, Royal...etc..I considered O ships stand out higher class than those noted.

Many thanks again.

We have sailed both, and both are very nice. Crystal is more formal while Oceania is always resort casual. Oceania has more people on the same size ship so it feels more crowded, I only sail O,s large ships. There is less options for dinner on Crystal and all are fixed time and table or require a reservation. On Crystal there is no casual option for dinner like the Terrace on O. Both offer a nice trip, depends if you like casual or formal. Also Crystal is all inclusive while O is pay as you go for liquor. Crystal is ahead for shows and life on the ship

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Thank you Hypercafe. Lately I have been sailing with O ship. What I love about them because they dont have that formal night. Being a woman, I like to dress nice, but my husband prefers the "casual resort style" more than a suit which he hates to pack on all cruise ships (in the past) except Oceania line. Yet, we would like to experience the Crystal. Like you said, C ships has better entertainments? O ships have terrible entertainments. After 9 or 10PM, guests don't know what to do to themselves except go back to the cabin and sleep with a full dinner belly. What about food? Food from O ships are extremely high quality. THeir dinner reservations are very flexible and they try to accommodate you which we have never been failed.

Is C line cost including air? O line cost included air and would be credited back if no air is needed?

I appreciate all the input here. Lam

Crystal does not "nickel and dime" you for beverages, gratuities, and for some passengers, an hour of internet per day is included. It's nice not to pull out the sea card and sign a slip during a meal, in a bar, at the pool, etc.. I especially like to walk up to a bar and grab a bottle of water without waiting.

Hi Travel2learn,

O ship price included air fare and water + soft drink + non alcohol mix drink. The end of the ship, guest would be billed: alcohol drinks + tipping (around $16 per guess per day) + internet usage.

Sometimes O ship would have free internet offered, free tipping depends on the sales of all the cabins: low occupying...etc..

Lots of guests I spoke to on O ships, the air itinerary scheduled by the O ship is a nightmare. SOme guests have to fly around the world (Im being bad here) before they landed to embark the ship. I have been cruising O ships and have never used their air. I did get a credit or a deduct amount off of my posted cost. Guests do not know the air route until 1 week before the departure. I prefer to know what kind of route I will be flying.

I was on O ship for PANAMA CANAL (Miami to San Francisco). I befriended with a couple from Hawaii, they are in their 80 (extreme healthy couple). When they told me that they were flying to Seattle from Honolulu, then from Seattle to Chicago, then from Chicago to Miami. They were so tired, they had to change plane every single stop/airport. When they disembarked in SF, they would have to fly to Seattle, then from Seattle to Honolulu. Just hearing their air itinerary, I had my stomach sick. I live in Los Angeles, bought my own air, and flew direct to Miami as the same to SF. So many guests talked about it, it was not only the Hawaii couple. THey all complaint of O ships air route and its entertainment. Other than those negatives. O ships food, services are outstanding. I had paid extra to quit Princess, Celebrity, Carniva (the worst), Royal C. ....Can someone tell me more details of Crystal ship, their air, their shore tours (expensive or not), their entertainments....I really want to do C ship, but I would like to hear more about it. Thankyou again.

I too have sailed with both O and Crystal. 23 cruises with Crystal, 2 (42 nights) with O. Food is subjective but I think Crystal outshines all O's venues except maybe Jacques and that's close. O's dining room is extremely crowded compared to Crystal and there for both noisier and much slower service. I hate buffets but on a food and Wine Theme cruise, O only served the guest chef dinner in the trough! Drinks are watered down and very expensive. Wine is ridiculous, O was charging $68 plus 15% for Castello Banfi I buy regularly for $8.62/ bottle. Steaks were tough, Italian was boring. Red Ginger was generally good but the spice level varied uncontrollably. None compared to Silk Road if you like Sushi. Jacques was the only place to get a properly served piece of cheese, otherwise not ripe and too cold. The bread on O is outstanding. The staterooms while touted as being larger are very poorly designed and functionally smaller than Crystals.

O announces bingo, wine sales, etc constantly, Crystal has one very brief noon announcement. The Bistro on crystal is missing on O. I can't say I really felt crowded on O except for the Captain's Welcome when free drinks were offered if you could find a waiter.

Dress code on Crystal for men is at strictest is a sport coat and slacks. No tie required even, not a huge sacrifice.

lamwinn, I have not sailed Oceania but have sailed on around 15 different cruse lines including luxury lines and also several of the lines you mentioned.

I just wanted to share on perspective which is simply you just never know until you give it a try.

In the end, while Crystal has become our favorite cruise line there are certainly items that we have enjoyed on each cruise line we have sailed.

I would highly recommend that you give Crystal a chance so you can see first hand for yourself.

If Crystal was a land base Hotel I would say it will be not only a similar experience to a Ritz Carlton or a Four Seasons but in my opinion it will be a far greater experience.

I am glad that you were able to start this thread and wish you all the best in whatever you do.

If you end up booking a Crystal Cruise, please be sure to check out the thread that I have written with first time Crystal Cruises in mind.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1584517&page=8

Keith

You all know that I appreciate all the input about my concerns here. Thanks to Latsyrc pointed out some good points. Yep, I will definitely take Crystal vacation at least one time. Im a very loyal person. Once I like that cruise ship. I will not quit. It has to be 2015 or 2016. My 2014 was already scheduled. How come no one mentioned anything about C. line's entertainment? To me, the entertainment is as important as other features on the ship. I hated when I had to withdraw myself to the cabin early. I also do not gamble, so that did not help. Their music band is not so good, they did not play like the dancing kind of music, more like music to go to sleep. O ship also has the music box: it was terrible too, most of the music were jazz, country type...I usually ran around on the deck after 9 or 10PM or swim. But they close the pool by 10. Or watching our own selective movies which we had them in our laptop.

Kieth: are you the person who works for or with C ships? I need to get a brochure from C line in order to check into their future voyages.

Do I need to register one more time for Meet and Mingle (future)?

If I want to get back to Keith's writing about the process (very helpful for Crystal first timer) of TSEX program. Do I have to be in Crystal Roll Call? Please give me some guidance, I will save it for future use.

I have been with CC few short years now. Yet I dont find CC as friendly user as TA. It always takes me at least 10 to 30 mn to get into a review or a forum I would like to (and I know that CC is only for cruising.).

Lam

We've been lucky enough to have gone on both lines over the past couple of years. Both are great, so in the end it depends of the itinerary being one you like and the deal you get satisfactory to you. The food on both lines is great, and if you get a great suite for a decent price on Oceania, you'll have a great suite and save a few bucks, but will probably spend it somewhere else.

We've been on quite a few great trips over the past eight years, so start with the itinerary, then the dates, then the room and of course the price.

Different strokes for different folks, so find a trip you like, get the best room you can afford, and just suck it all in and have fun. There''s no better way to see the world, 15 knots at a time.

Westmount

You all know that I appreciate all the input about my concerns here. Thanks to Latsyrc pointed out some good points. Yep, I will definitely take Crystal vacation at least one time. Im a very loyal person. Once I like that cruise ship. I will not quit. It has to be 2015 or 2016. My 2014 was already scheduled. How come no one mentioned anything about C. line's entertainment? To me, the entertainment is as important as other features on the ship. I hated when I had to withdraw myself to the cabin early. I also do not gamble, so that did not help. Their music band is not so good, they did not play like the dancing kind of music, more like music to go to sleep. O ship also has the music box: it was terrible too, most of the music were jazz, country type...I usually ran around on the deck after 9 or 10PM or swim. But they close the pool by 10. Or watching our own selective movies which we had them in our laptop.

Kieth: are you the person who works for or with C ships? I need to get a brochure from C line in order to check into their future voyages.

Do I need to register one more time for Meet and Mingle (future)?

If I want to get back to Keith's writing about the process (very helpful for Crystal first timer) of TSEX program. Do I have to be in Crystal Roll Call? Please give me some guidance, I will save it for future use.

I have been with CC few short years now. Yet I dont find CC as friendly user as TA. It always takes me at least 10 to 30 mn to get into a review or a forum I would like to (and I know that CC is only for cruising.).

Lam

Hi Lam I do not work for Crystal. Crystal has become our favorite cruise line and we sail Crystal often.

It is very easy to order a brochure from Crystal. This link will take you to the Crystal Cruises web site.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/form_orderbrochure.aspx?intcmp=10000-PROTX106&pos=B2&pgid=HOME-*

If you end up booking a cruise just post the cruise you book on the Future Cruising Thread. This is one of the links that you will find in the first time Crystal Cruisers Thread that I pointed you to.

Crystal has a wife range of entertainment each evening including production shows, entertainers brought on for specific voyages such as vocalists and musicians and several other evening activities. They are also one of the few cruise lines with a cinema.

Keith

If Crystal and Oceania were my children, Crystal would be my favorite child, but there is still a lot to love about the new Oceania ships. I don't mind spending time with either one.

Crystal has warmer, more personal and intuitive service, great enrichment lecturers, along with the Bistro and Avenue Saloon. O has newer ships, wonderful mattresses, a nice, casual atmosphere, open dining, and 4 specialty restaurants.

One more subtle difference: O only has shuttles when the local ports provide them. Otherwise you are on your own if you don't take a ship's tour. Crystal has free shuttles in most ports, provides handy little maps of towns printed by Crystal and often has Crystal personnel out and about off of the ship to provide you with a little guidance.

With the right attitude and a good itinerary you can enjoy either one.

Thanks Westmount: i so agree with your points. The past few years, I refuse to use other lines but O ship. And C line is always on my mind (as i have been mentioning here). When i prepare a cruise trip. I make sure the top priority is the itinerary. I must like the itinerary in order to go on with the date, price and room. Price is important to me. THere was time i sacrifice my cabin in order to purchase my own air ticket. One time I paid $1800 round trip airticket from Monaco to Rome (per person). And O ship only gave me a credit of $800. I gave up a better class cabin ($2,000) to fly my own booked airliner. I had only 1 lay over which was in NY. Other guests from Oregon I spoke to, he flew with O ship air, and he had about 3 lay over. He told me that he did not know which airliner he would fly with until 10 days before the departure. Yeah, I guess you are correct. Enjoy what you commit to, it will lead to a good journey.

Thanks to Danny: I like the way you put it into your 2 kids. You are correct about O ship which never had anyone at the gate in order to help the guests out with self-tour, unless we used O's excursion which is soooo expensive. I was always fortunate to join with others (self-tour) and always paid less doing by ourselves and we had the grand time too. I was taking the train from Livorno into Florence. I happened to be on the same journey with a lady who was with Princess. She also did the Florence by herself. She was complaining with me that Princess charged $80 per person to see Florence and the train ride round trip is about $15 US. I said that Oceania charges about $145 per person. She was in shock.

Thanks Keith: You all convince me enough to try C lines. The fact Im so excited. I have to hurry to order the brochure for year 2015-2016. Now, I must say I can't wait to receive the experience.

Keith... I LOVE YOUR TYPOS!!!! :p;)

:D:D:D,

Scott

Scott, and I can't blame my iPad as I posted from my iMac.

Thank goodness I didn't have this auto correct back in my business days. If I did, I might have had a short tenure. :D

Keith

Hi Travel2learn: thanks for your good idea. As long as Crystal is willing to discuss with the guest about air arrangement at early process. Once I paid in full my cruise, I immediately purchase my flight. THe experience I had with O ship was they would not talk to guest about air arrangement until 1, or 2 weeks before embarkation. Then if I wish to make a change, a deviation fee is resulted. Would Crystal talk to you at early stage about air arrangement? I m certain that having air arrangement with cruise ship is always a guaranty than to purchase my own. I just hate being fly around to fill up the seat in the plane (ahh!!).

Hi Travel2learn: thanks for your good idea. As long as Crystal is willing to discuss with the guest about air arrangement at early process. Once I paid in full my cruise, I immediately purchase my flight. THe experience I had with O ship was they would not talk to guest about air arrangement until 1, or 2 weeks before embarkation. Then if I wish to make a change, a deviation fee is resulted. Would Crystal talk to you at early stage about air arrangement? I m certain that having air arrangement with cruise ship is always a guaranty than to purchase my own. I just hate being fly around to fill up the seat in the plane (ahh!!).

To clarify Oceania's policy on included air: You can choose your flights and days of travel as early as 9 months in advance of embarkation for a $175 per person deviation fee plus any difference in fare your chosen itinerary would require. Often there is no additional fare required.

Iamwinn, flights can be arranged several month prior to embarkation. I like to be in control of the times and carriers used, so it takes more going back and forth than if just allowing Crystal to make all the decisions. There is also a deviation fee involved for selecting flights. Pricing depends on their contracts with the airlines. I'll use airlines Crystal has a contract with to keep the price down. Perhaps another poster can direct you to a thread or section of Crystal's website for more information. Select air is a new policy.

Edited by Travel2Learn

Thanks to Edgee and Travel2learn, O line charges $170 for deviation fee too, but the problem like i said, O line would not finalize the air arrangement until the last minute, then too late to have the choice of changes with fee. You guy mentioned that air arrangement with C line could be as early as 9 months, that is great and it should be that way. My friends sometimes told me that why do I have to reserve the cruise 10 to 12 months away. My friends said they would wait out to the last minute to help the cruise ships fill up their cabins with cheap cheap price. I have never agreed with my friends, this is why sometimes we travel alone with no friends cause everyone wants to wait to the last month. I advised my friends that, you might be able to get a cabin but you may have to pay a high price on airline tickets. Airline ticket is so expensive at the last minute flight. And sometimes, they are all sold out...Im sorry all that I am so wordy here. It has been a pleasant discussion for my topic, this is how I learn to pick and choose. And I note of what you said here. It gives me a push to definitely to try Crystal.

Thanks to Edgee and Travel2learn, O line charges $170 for deviation fee too, but the problem like i said, O line would not finalize the air arrangement until the last minute, then too late to have the choice of changes with fee. You guy mentioned that air arrangement with C line could be as early as 9 months, that is great and it should be that way. My friends sometimes told me that why do I have to reserve the cruise 10 to 12 months away. My friends said they would wait out to the last minute to help the cruise ships fill up their cabins with cheap cheap price. I have never agreed with my friends, this is why sometimes we travel alone with no friends cause everyone wants to wait to the last month. I advised my friends that, you might be able to get a cabin but you may have to pay a high price on airline tickets. Airline ticket is so expensive at the last minute flight. And sometimes, they are all sold out...Im sorry all that I am so wordy here. It has been a pleasant discussion for my topic, this is how I learn to pick and choose. And I note of what you said here. It gives me a push to definitely to try Crystal.

There must be a misunderstanding. If you deviate for $175 per person on Oceania you absolutely can have your flight schedule confirmed 9 months in advance instead of at the last minute. I am in the process of doing that myself at the moment for a cruise in May of 2015.

Hi E.,

I do believe you are correct of what you said here. The first time, few years ago when i took the air inclusive with O line. I had no idea how it worked. I did not have a travel agent who was thoroughly in the process. Around 2 weeks before the embarkation, I was advised what was the airliner, what route I had to fly...it was the Western Med cruise. I said to my agent that I wanted to use American Airliner instead of foreigner ones. My agent told me that i needed to pay deviation $169 for the changes which I did. Well, I still did not have a good seat on the plane (all seats all taken), I still had more than 2 ridiculous/unnecessary lay over before landed. With that bad experience and I was also talking to guests on board. It seemed every guest i talked to was not happy with the air attached. But all realized that air inclusive still less expensive than buying your own air. After that journey, I decided to purchase my own air. Just to hear other guests suffered some of the long flights in the sky including several lay over, I rather stay in the not so nice cabin and fly the flight and the seat which i personally selected. I still love O line and just off their ship in May of 2 weeks route. But I vow not to use their air.

Lamwinn, I understand. the important thing is that you enjoy vacationing under arrangements with which you are comfortable. Whether Oceania or Crystal we are talking about great options here.