• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Booking Pearl to Alaska through CAS

g35girl

Well we made it to Vegas and picked up our "free cruise" and we are considering booking the Pearl for May, 2015 (it's one of our options). I do have a few questions before we call to book.

1) We would like to pay to upgrade to a balcony; my question is can we select the cabin or do they just offer a gty?

2) If we select a cabin, does anyone know which balconies are not enclosed? I have read that some balconies are enclosed, but I would prefer an open one.

3) Since we are booking 9 months out through CAS, do we need to pay to full amount now for the taxes, fees and upgrade?

Thanks for your help!

Well we made it to Vegas and picked up our "free cruise" and we are considering booking the Pearl for May, 2015 (it's one of our options). I do have a few questions before we call to book.

1) We would like to pay to upgrade to a balcony; my question is can we select the cabin or do they just offer a gty? They generally give you midship balcony upgrades (category BA)

2) If we select a cabin, does anyone know which balconies are not enclosed? I have read that some balconies are enclosed, but I would prefer an open one. I am not sure on this but I have never seen a midship category with an enclosed balcony, I think the Pearl is a sister ship to the Gem/Jewel which I have sailed and Midship is fine

3) Since we are booking 9 months out through CAS, do we need to pay to full amount now for the taxes, fees and upgrade? If it is a full comp (and yes they consider an upgrade to another category as a full comp because it is based on the original comp so yes you will have to pay in full at time of booking

Thanks for your help!

1) We would like to pay to upgrade to a balcony; my question is can we select the cabin or do they just offer a gty? They generally give you midship balcony upgrades (category BA)

2) If we select a cabin, does anyone know which balconies are not enclosed? I have read that some balconies are enclosed, but I would prefer an open one. I am not sure on this but I have never seen a midship category with an enclosed balcony, I think the Pearl is a sister ship to the Gem/Jewel which I have sailed and Midship is fine

3) Since we are booking 9 months out through CAS, do we need to pay to full amount now for the taxes, fees and upgrade? If it is a full comp (and yes they consider an upgrade to another category as a full comp because it is based on the original comp so yes you will have to pay in full at time of booking

I am on the Pearl thru CAS on May 7. Yes we had to pay for the upgrade to a balcony. Would not go if I did not have a balcony. Did not have to pay in full. Just a down payment. You can pick your cabin. Go on a website to see what cabins are available right before you call them so you can tell them what cabin you want!!!

My fifth time to Alaska!!! I love this cruise!!! May 5 is a 11 day one!!!

My experience with CAS has been different. Whether I have used a Harrahs certificate (4 times) or been comped by CAS (probably 8-10 times) I have never had to pay in full when I do an upgrade, which is almost always. I have always been permitted to put down my deposit and pay in full by final payment date.

terry

If you take the offered catagory, you will pay full amount due. If you choose to upgrade, you only pay the deposit. The upgrade will SOMTIMES be the difference from what they offer to what you want Other times its more or less. Still cant figure it out

Added thought... they do not offer obc etc if you want a lessert catagory. We were offered a mini on next sailing but I chose a corner aft balcony for the added balcony size. Didn't hear them say "How about an obc for difference" LOL

• 2 weeks later...

We finally booked! We did upgrade to a mid-ship mini suite balcony which with tax, fees, insurance cost approx. $1000 more per person and yes, we were able to select our cabin and only pay a deposit.

Thanks everyone for your assistance!