This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

Pnkandpurple - you said in a post that people will continue to cruise. I don't think so - not when there's a choice of other vacations. I'm gone from NCL, thinking about going back to HAL. If HAL prohibits smoking on all verandas, my cruising days are over. If someone is paying me 6 grand, they have every right to dictate my behavior. If I'm paying 6 grand, I'll go somewhere that doesn't dictate my behavior. I'm really hoping that HAL at least experiments with 1/2 and 1/2 smoking and non balconies and verandas.

I'm really hoping that HAL at least experiments with 1/2 and 1/2 smoking and non balconies and verandas.

That is not an option on the table at this time. I would suggest sending mail to HAL with your opinion though.

If everyone would just honor other adults' choices, the world would be easier!!

If I share my bad habit of, say, a chocolate éclair by shoving it down someone's throat that could be construed as a criminal assault. So why should it be all right for someone to force me to consume their carcinogens?

Shipping lines have come a long way from the days when people could smoke just about everywhere. I am grateful for that. I do not advocate banning smoking entirely. A closed, separately ventilated space should be provided. But no-one should have to inhale other people's poisons against their wish.

If I share my bad habit of, say, a chocolate éclair by shoving it down someone's throat that could be construed as a criminal assault. So why should it be all right for someone to force me to consume their carcinogens?

Shipping lines have come a long way from the days when people could smoke just about everywhere. I am grateful for that. I do not advocate banning smoking entirely. A closed, separately ventilated space should be provided. But no-one should have to inhale other people's poisons against their wish.

If you don't choose to experience others bad habits perhaps staying at home would be the wise choice. It is very safe there and just the way you want it to be. :rolleyes:

If you don't choose to experience others bad habits perhaps staying at home would be the wise choice. It is very safe there and just the way you want it to be. :rolleyes:

LOL. Although I believe I have read that most accidents occcur within a few miles of home. So if you stay home, you'd better also give up driving in order to be safe. ;)

One of my US-born friends says that satire is lost on Americans. I should know better to even try.

All 318,000,000 of us? Your friend told you that?

Talk about a sweeping statement. :D :eek: Maybe one of two of

us may get the satire, 'ya think?

While I certainly understand the hazards of smoking, what I really don't understand is how so many people are so worked up when others around them smoke.

The evolution of the "no smoking" religion started with the Surgeon General report in 1964 followed by a whole lot of increasing levels of governmental controls.

The danger of smoking odor, however, remains to be more exploited than real.

The American Cancer Society's official statement about smoking odor (third hand smoke) is:

---

What about smoking odors?

There’s no research in the medical literature as yet that shows cigarette odors cause cancer in people. Research does show that particles from secondhand tobacco smoke can settle into dust and onto surfaces and remain there long after the smoke is gone – some studies suggest the particles can last for months. Researchers call this thirdhand smoke or residual tobacco smoke.

The evidence is building about the dangers of thirdhand smoke. NNK and PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) are carcinogens that are known to cause lung cancer, which have been found in dust samples taken from the homes of smokers. Research has also shown that thirdhand smoke can damage the DNA of human cells in cell cultures. And studies have shown that the particles that settle out from tobacco smoke can form more cancer-causing compounds.

Though yet unknown, the cancer-causing effects of thirdhand smoke would likely be small compared with direct exposure to SHS. Still, the compounds may be stirred up and inhaled with other house dust, and may also be absorbed through the skin or accidentally taken in through the mouth. This is why any risk the compounds pose may be larger for babies and children who play on the floor and often put things in their mouths.

No actual cancer risk has been measured at this time, but the health risks of thirdhand smoke are an active area of research. [emphasis added]

---

This means someone who smells of tobacco is not a source of carcinogens. The dust in a stateroom may be hazardous to health (see linked article) but because HAL prohibits smoking in rooms, that is no longer an issue.

So the anti smoking crowd continues to make a stink (pun intended) about tobacco smells while ignoring the absence of evidence of any kind that such smells are dangerous.

Let's turn down the yelling and screaming and pay attention to facts established by ACS research.

Edited by Sow There

While I certainly understand the hazards of smoking, what I really don't understand is how so many people are so worked up when others around them smoke.

<snip>.

I don't understand why everyone doesn't like the smell of perfume, but I don't have to. If you like the smell of smoke that's fine, but why do you need to speak for everyone? This remark is just silly.

Edited by cruz chic

I don't understand why everyone doesn't like the smell of perfume, but I don't have to. If you like the smell of smoke that's fine, but why do you need to speak for everyone? This remark is just silly.
Sorry Cruz Chic, but there are many people who have confirmed medical issues with the substances and/or aromas associated with some (many) perfumes.

To make the parallel points, should the application of perfumes that cause medical issues with other passengers be prohibited except in a few specified venues?

Another point. The smoke belching out of a cruise ship created by the use of Bunker C diesel fuel

Here's a citation from the US Environmental Protection Administration as quoted by Scientific American:

"The dangerous air pollution from these floating smokestacks is a threat to tens of millions of Americans who live and work along our coastlines," Elena Craft, health scientist with the Environmental Defense Fund, said in a statement. "America has the ingenuity to meet these vitally important clean air standards and protect human health and the environment from the serious impacts associated with shipping pollution."

In other words second hand smoke from the stacks is also dangerous and causes hazardous air quality issues for everyone on board as well along our coastlines.

I suppose you would support banning the diesel fuel used by cruise ships as well.

I guess the issue is why there isn't any emotion at all expressed about diesel fumes but there's so much emotion about the lesser dangers of third hand smoke created by tobacco use.

You missed my point. You said you don't understand why people get so worked up. My point is you don't have to understand. What I don't understand is why you get so worked up about smoking when I think you've posted that you don't smoke. That said, I don't have to understand.

I just completed a very thorough 2 part survey from HAL comparing mainly the three similar cruise lines, HAL, Celebrity, and Princess. A few questions addressed RCI, Carnival and one for NCL, one for the Paul Gauguin. I have cruised on all but NCL and will cruise on them again.

The survey did not address the one item that has stopped me from booking a HAL cruise for the first time in 9 years-their insistence on adhering to an antiquated, health threatening, discomfort producing smoking policy.

Their continued insistence on permitting smoking on balconies has made other cruise lines much more appealing to me and my friends.

As far as I'm concerned their survey missed a most important point.

All the questions about the cruise experience on various lines miss the most important factor of a guest knowing that a cruise line has taken the scientific and medical reports into account when establishing a smoking policy.

HAL is keeping their head in the sand.

A cruise line that was once my first choice no longer is because they still consider smoking merely a guest's preference rather than a scientifically proven health hazard to those who cannot protect themselves from the air that is being polluted around them. Loyal cruisers are not leaving HAL because of "Modern Luxury" or "Come Back New", but rather a continuing decision to allow smoking on balconies!

Since I spent an hour completing the 2 part online survey, I felt I needed to address the question that wasn't asked. Why am I now more likely to sail on Celebrity or Princess than on HAL?

Why am I now more likely to sail on Celebrity or Princess than on HAL?

A wild guess--their smoking policy? ;)

By the looks of your signature, you've made the move already.

Enjoy your cruises on Celebrity and Princess.:)

Is this a violation of the policy that all smoking discussion should be on the single sticky thread?

Looks like my question was answered as I typed.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

I just completed a very thorough 2 part survey from HAL comparing mainly the three similar cruise lines, HAL, Celebrity, and Princess. A few questions addressed RCI, Carnival and one for NCL, one for the Paul Gauguin. I have cruised on all but NCL and will cruise on them again.

The survey did not address the one item that has stopped me from booking a HAL cruise for the first time in 9 years-their insistence on adhering to an antiquated, health threatening, discomfort producing smoking policy.

Their continued insistence on permitting smoking on balconies has made other cruise lines much more appealing to me and my friends.

As far as I'm concerned their survey missed a most important point.

All the questions about the cruise experience on various lines miss the most important factor of a guest knowing that a cruise line has taken the scientific and medical reports into account when establishing a smoking policy.

HAL is keeping their head in the sand.

A cruise line that was once my first choice no longer is because they still consider smoking merely a guest's preference rather than a scientifically proven health hazard to those who cannot protect themselves from the air that is being polluted around them. Loyal cruisers are not leaving HAL because of "Modern Luxury" or "Come Back New", but rather a continuing decision to allow smoking on balconies!

Since I spent an hour completing the 2 part online survey, I felt I needed to address the question that wasn't asked. Why am I now more likely to sail on Celebrity or Princess than on HAL?

Very well written and you make some excellent points. "The One Who Must Be Obeyed" and I have sailed HAL six times. For the most part, we enjoy their ships, ambiance, food, and service. BUT we shall not sail with them again until they recognize that they are in the 21st Century. Smoking is no longer socially acceptable. It has been proven that second hand smoke is unhealthy. I do not want to breathe it.

Okay, before someone asks why do I read the HAL threads and keep posting? Sooner or later HAL will get with the program. When they do, I shall return.

I just visited an unnamed social media site where I read comment after comment from people begging HAL not to change the balcony smoking policy. Most admitted to be former CCL cruisers who are switching to HAL because they can balcony smoke. If YOU are serious about hoping HAL changes their smoking policy IMHO we need to start a lot of letter writing! HAL should hear our opinions too!

I just visited an unnamed social media site where I read comment after comment from people begging HAL not to change the balcony smoking policy. Most admitted to be former CCL cruisers who are switching to HAL because they can balcony smoke. If YOU are serious about hoping HAL changes their smoking policy IMHO we need to start a lot of letter writing! HAL should hear our opinions too!

Why unnamed? Now we can't say facebook etc? I've sent emails and it always end with me getting an email back with the smoking policy. Gee, like I didn't know. I've also gone on facebook asking them to end smoking. Hal will do what it will do. I'm tired of their smoking and pricing polices and in the near term I'm going to princess. They need to start respecting their long term customers. Smoking will end and no begging from either side is going to change that.

The smoking issue is so contentious, but those of us who want to be able to still engage in our legal activity, allowed by HAL in certain areas, really hate all the constant diatribe about how we pollute other peôpleès lungs, etc. We ^know all the ill effects of smoking. We also know the ill effects of the smoke from the smokestack, etc. it is all not good. We smokers have to change, yes, but it isnèt easy. We still want to be able to be treated with the same respect as those who indulge in other unhealthy behavior, such as drinking. Just give us a few cabins at the back of the ship

Im sure this thread will be immediately deleted but thought I would try. Smoking. Smoking, the most contentious issue I have seen yet on these boards. Wish we could just be civil about it. I wish HAL would set aside a few cabins toward the back of the ship for smokers, so they do not bother any one else but so that we who are still engaging in legal activity (gee, it is not like we are doing crack or smoking dope) can have a few cigarettes. Does that seem so unreasonable