This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

January 29, 2017. My husband and I were hoping HAL would be a refreshing change from the other three cruise lines that refused to enforce the non smoking rules on the balconies but we're disappointed that cruise lines don't seem to care for our safety when it comes to smoking on the balconies.

OP to whom did you report that your neighbors were smoking on their vernadah? to front Office, Hotel Director, Security? What response did you get? Have you informed HAL headquarters thaty ou tried to get the no smoking smoking rule enforced but no one on the ship made that happen?

Thanks.

Edited by sail7seas

We had a picture of a fellow passenger smoking a cigar on his balcony and informed the front deck. They said they are limited in what they can do to stop it. They said when they spoke to the passenger about his smoking, he denied ever doing it as many other passengers did as well when they were reported by other non smoking passengers on other decks. It seems the smokers can get away with the nasty habit because the smoking contined through out our cruise. We were offered another balcony cabin but could still smell the balcony smokers on this part of the ship as well. It is very discouraging and sad to go on a cruise and not be able to enjoy the fresh ocean air on your balconey. This is not our first rodeo on this issue.

We had a picture of a fellow passenger smoking a cigar on his balcony and informed the front deck. They said they are limited in what they can do to stop it. They said when they spoke to the passenger about his smoking, he denied ever doing it as many other passengers did as well when they were reported by other non smoking passengers on other decks. It seems the smokers can get away with the nasty habit because the smoking contined through out our cruise. We were offered another balcony cabin but could still smell the balcony smokers on this part of the ship as well. It is very discouraging and sad to go on a cruise and not be able to enjoy the fresh ocean air on your balconey. This is not our first rodeo on this issue.

The new no-smoking on balconys last month drew us toward HAL and a future cruise with them.

If management allows this to continue, we will move on

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The new no-smoking on balconys last month drew us toward HAL and a future cruise with them.

If management allows this to continue, we will move on

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have found that changes on HAL normally take some time to get fully implemented/enforced. Many people do not cruise more than once a year (if that) and they do not pay attention to cruise line changes. I have seen this in the new main dining room dress code, the wine carryon limits, etc.

Over time things should get better as people learn of the new rules and I bet HAL will become more aggressive in enforcing the smoking ban. Remember, many people may have booked this cruise under the old rules and did not even know of the change.

Lets hope I am correct!

I was hoping our cruise experience with the smoking issue would be different from the other cruise lines we had sailed with but it was not any different. It looks like the cruise lines want to keep the smokers at the expense of loosing the non smokers. We will not tolerate our vacation being ruined again by these smokers who do not want to leave their cabin to go to the designated smoking areas approved by the ship.

Even when you showed them a photo of the passenger smoking on his balcony?? What more proof do they need. :mad:

Last month on the Koningsdam someone was smoking two cabins down. I left a polite note informing them of the new smoking policy and never saw them smoking on their balcony again. I wouldn't have been happy if I'd reported it and got the response you did.

I am very disappointed to hear that the no smoking on the balcony/verandahs is not being enforced.

I soooo, agree, The seewardswho clean the smokers' ca bins must be seeing and smelling evidence of smoking. . Whatt are they using for an ashrtay? Suure, I know they can bring theri own but my con cern is safety. The wind affe ashgtrays should be used but if the guests are denying smoking, they surely are not worried a bout sffety. If I have a smoking neighb or and c ant use my vernadah, I will be very unhappy and vocal.

Have you sent the photo to Seattle? I'll certainly have my camera ready if this happens to me and hope others will do the same. Maybe if HAL gets enough "proof", they'll be more assertive in enforcing their policy.

The no smoking policy happened at different times on different ships.

Not sure when the N Amsterdam's started but quite sure that it was one of the earlier schduled ones.

HAL levies an expensive fine if you smoke and I am shocked that they did nothing about this UNLESS, the new policy was not in force yet?

Every ship did not start the new policy in January. It was spread out and I believe by March 1st the policy should be in place for all ships and all cruises.

January29, 2017.

Same cruise we were on and also noticed some smoke on the balcony too - we were on the Rotterdam Neptune Deck. It was minor and only occasional. Did not report it, but was surprised because I assumed this was no longer allowed

Unfortunately we visited a cigar factory on the shore excursion in Amber Cove to Santa Domingo - wonder if that guy was on that trip and was trying out his "souvenir". Maybe it was the same smoke we could smell on the verandah of cabin 7070?

We had a picture of a fellow passenger smoking a cigar on his balcony and informed the front deck. They said they are limited in what they can do to stop it. They said when they spoke to the passenger about his smoking, he denied ever doing it as many other passengers did as well when they were reported by other non smoking passengers on other decks.

Sorry to hear this was such a problem. Hopefully you talked with someone other than just the front desk agents. They're trained to provide a wall between passengers and department heads, and are pretty good at it, but if you were able to talk with someone higher up, that's great. Your concern will go further, and get noticed.

We had a picture of a fellow passenger smoking a cigar on his balcony and informed the front deck.

So, let's see the evidence you say you photographed and showed to the front desk. Btw, which stateroom or at least deck you were on?

Remember, many people may have booked this cruise under the old rules and did not even know of the change.

Lets hope I am correct!

Hi Everybody,

I booked my Alaska trip a year ago. When the smoking policy was changed, I got an e-mail with the new rules. I'm assuming all who had a cruised already booked would have gotten the same e-mail.

I have a message into my TA that I'd like to switch rooms. One, to avoid any smoking issues and two, to be on a lower deck closer to the dining room and theater. I may have to pay a bit more but I think I'll be happier.

Patti

So, let's see the evidence you say you photographed and showed to the front desk. Btw, which stateroom or at least deck you were on?

Deck 5 mid to aft 5137. I have having difficulty posting the picture from screen shot to this post since the picture was taken from another cell phone camera. Can I send it to you another way?