Day trips near Nice on a Monday

LadyStone50

We are looking for interesting side trip from Nice on a Monday. I have discovered that many sites are closed on Mondays (including Musée Bonnard in Le Cannet and the museum in Sante Marguerite). We are a family of 4 (children are 15 years and above), interested in getting away from the port and exploring a quiet village or two and soaking up a little of the beauty of France.

Right now we are leaning toward renting a car and driving to St Paul de Vence and Eze. From what I have read here, this is a do-able day.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by LadyStone50

We think you have the right idea. If you leave St Paul de Vence and still have a lot of time you could make a stop in Antibes...to walk around and see another sea-based city. We are big supporters of rental cars as it gives you the ability to change your plans "on the fly." Another possibility would be to drive over to Monte Carlo (our least favorite place in the region) and take the kids up to the Palace (I think the Changing the Guard ceremony at 11;55). I can just here you kid saying "whats the big deal?" but many folks do go to see a few soldiers marching :).

Hank

Hank -

Monte Carlo doesn't interest me, Everything I have read or seen about Eze and St Paul, however, does (grin).

Having never done this before, I am assuming we need to:

1) get international drivers license (easy-peasy and we have plenty of time)

2) Research car companies that do day rentals near the port (we are cruising. Not my favorite way to see the country, but my two girls love it) Any suggestions?

3) Plan an itinerary that makes the best use of our time. We only want to see one to two cities at most so we can relax and enjoy them. It seems to make the best sense to go to the furthest town 1st then backtrack slowly. Again, any advice here would be wonderful.

Lastly, how much time should we factor in to check in and out of the rental car office?

Side Note: Hugely disappointed that the museum in Sante Marguerite will be closed. Both kids are big fans of "The Man in the Iron Mask" and it would have been fun to surprise them with that.:p

Edited by LadyStone50

We have never used (or been asked for) an International Drivers Permit in France, but if you want to spend a few dollars they are easy to get at any AAA office (you will also have to pay for Passport photos for the permit).

As to renting a car in Villefranche (we are assuming this is your port) keep in mind that it is a tender port so it takes quite a while for folks to get ashore. We have sometimes noticed some of the major rental car companies at the port (Avis comes to mind) but are not sure they are reliable since they do not have offices in Villefranche. There is a small French rental car company called Locoauto who does have a Villefranche office and is almost always at the tender pier area. There web site is:

http://www.locauto.fr/index_uk.htm

Since we have not used this agency in a few years we would suggest you contact them directly (they have contact e-mail addresses on their web site) and inquire about getting a car right at the tender pier. As far as we know, all the other agencies work from their Nice offices and may, or may not provide service at the port.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank -

Monte Carlo doesn't interest me, Everything I have read or seen about Eze and St Paul, however, does (grin).

Having never done this before, I am assuming we need to:

1) get international drivers license (easy-peasy and we have plenty of time)

2) Research car companies that do day rentals near the port (we are cruising. Not my favorite way to see the country, but my two girls love it) Any suggestions?

3) Plan an itinerary that makes the best use of our time. We only want to see one to two cities at most so we can relax and enjoy them. It seems to make the best sense to go to the furthest town 1st then backtrack slowly. Again, any advice here would be wonderful.

Lastly, how much time should we factor in to check in and out of the rental car office?

Side Note: Hugely disappointed that the museum in Sante Marguerite will be closed. Both kids are big fans of "The Man in the Iron Mask" and it would have been fun to surprise them with that.:p

You do not need an international drivers license.

For best use of your time and to cope with traffic, go to St Paul de Vence first, then either go up the hill to Vence or down the hill to Antibes (my favorite). Then drive along the Promenade des Anglais to the Moyenne Corniche to get to Eze - the traffic through Nice in the middle of the day will not be as bad as later. Once you are through Nice and on the Moyenne Corniche there is hardly any traffic and you have spectacular views getting to Eze. Then go from Eze back to Villefranche. There will be hardly any traffic going in that direction, but going through Nice later could be a mess.

Perhaps we should have added some parking info. When you drive by the entrance to St Paul de Vence you have two parking options. There is free parking along the road (outside the city) and you could just drive along the road until you a parking spot (if one exists). But another option is the very nice large parking garage located just past the entrance (there are plenty of signs). This is paid parking, but we think its worth the money for the convenience. As to Eze Village, there is a parking lot (it used to be free) right in front of the village. If you get unlucky and there are no empty spaces, you need to just wait until something opens up. We have always found a spot within minutes. Antibes has on the street parking and also a large paid parking lot near the large Marina.

Hank

Hank - you are right about parking. Good catch.

Definitely use the paid parking by the marina in Antibes outside the city wall. There is some free parking outside the walls too, but definitely DO NOT enter the city walls and expect to find parking.

For us it is always a "matter of honor" finding street parking outside St Paul, but a first timer should use the paid parking.

Hank - you are right about parking. ...................................

For us it is always a "matter of honor" finding street parking outside St Paul, but a first timer should use the paid parking.

Ouch! We are usually too lazy to find a free roadside spot. :)

Hank

Just booked an Oct. cruise that stops here.

Any recommendations on rental agencies. Sixt offices appear distant. One Avis(our preference) is booked, the other AVIS is at Place Massena-Nice). Any suggestions? Thanks On a Friday.

Edited by iancal

Just booked an Oct. cruise that stops here.

Any recommendations on rental agencies. Sixt offices appear distant. One Avis(our preference) is booked, the other AVIS is at Place Massena-Nice). Any suggestions? Thanks On a Friday.

You might want to e-mail a regional agency called Locauto (http://www.locauto.fr). Unlike other agencies they actually have an office in Villefranche and will usually be able to deliver cars at the tender pier. We have often seen the Avis folks (from Nice) deliver cars...but it seems to be hit or miss.

Hank