• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

I was at Sapphire Beach today (Saturday, Aug 9th) Beach day report

BigJon

I'm here on the island until Monday, and I drove over to Sapphire Beach club. There is a guard (guard house) as you go down the hill toward the resort, and I told him we were going to the beach. He said, "park on the left". (There's no entrance fee) So we parked in the gravel parking lot on the left. We walked out toward the beach, and turned left. Toward the right is very little sand, and very, very rocky. When you get to the beach, there is a building where you can rent chairs, and other stuff. Here's a picture, with the prices....fx6k4k.jpg

Today there were no cruise ships, and there weren't that many people. This is what the beach looked like. Notice the sand on the left, and the rocks toward the right. This is almost directly in front of the building that rented the chairs.....9a8dol.jpg

After we sat on the beach for a while, we walked over (back to the right) in front of the resort to the pool. There were about 10 people there, and we grabbed a lounger, and relaxed. I got in the pool, and it felt great. A lady came by and asked if we wanted something to eat or drink from the cabana. The cabana was located between two of the resort buildings. This was the second time I've been here. We came here on a cruise a few years ago. Also, as soon as you exit the road to enter Sapphire Beach Club, on the right, there is a truck that serves BBQ. They have a large cooker beside the truck (trailer). I ate there yesterday, and the BBQ pork was very good. The smoked sausage was very good, but the ribs and brisket were a little dry. Rice and Beans were delicious, slaw was okay, my daughter loved the baked sweet potato, and the grilled onion was okay. Price for "all you can eat" meats, with 2 sides was $15 per person (sodas $2 extra, bottle water $1 extra). They have some picnic type tables to eat at, and you're overlooking Sapphire Beach....

Thank you for the update, but I had a question as I rent from the condos there occasionally. Since we know you were a visitor as you had to park in the gravel side, how in the heck did you mange getting in the pool, let alone using chairs by the pool, without getting asked what unit you are staying in???

I just wanted to check if something has changed, because as recently as a few months ago and going on for as long as I can remember the pool area is totally off limits to anyone not staying in the condos. People used to come around and check often.

If you are not allowed and you just went ahead and did it I do not have a problem with that as I am pro sneaking liquor on board the ship myself :D I just have to question it because if the pool area is still only for condo residents and renters I did not want cruise ship visitors to get the wrong idea and think they can just walk right over to the pool and jump in.

Anyone have an update on this if just anyone and everyone can use the pool area now???

Thanks!

They might not be checking since no ships where in port

This is what I was thinking probably happened. I guess with the way the post was written I just did not want cruisers thinking "oh great, not only does Sapphire have a beautiful beach, but they got a great pool with beautiful views of St John that we can use for free" and then they get there and get booted away from the pool area.

Thanks for sharing with others, just want to clarify that the pool has been for condo guests only unless something has changed and that would be surprising. Security is usually very observant and ask new faces if you are renting a condo.

There is no Sapphire Beach Club, you were seeing condos of the Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina, and the Banana Cabana beach grill is located there. The condos on the hill overlooking the marina are Sapphire Village, and to the left of the swimming area the blue-roofed bldgs are Crystal Cove condos.

We too rent at the SBRM and it's a great spot right on the beach for the waves at night and views during the day!

Edited by blue_water

So I am guessing that everything is back open at Sapphire. They are letting taxis back in with cruise ship passengers? The last time we were there in May......everything was shut down. What has happened? Also the last time we were on the beach there......the iguanas were so aggressive that it was scary. Has that problem been taken care of? Thanks!

The pool at Sapphire is for owners and guests of the owners staying in the condos. Normally security checks You will asked to leave if you are not a guest. It must have been a very slow day and security neglected to check the day you were there.

Regarding construction at Smith Bay Park, it will be very slow. The funds to make it more like Magens comes mostly from the admissions fees and since the fee is just a few dollars it will be slow going. So people will still have the ability to go to a beautiful undevelope beach.

• 2 weeks later...
So I am guessing that everything is back open at Sapphire. They are letting taxis back in with cruise ship passengers? The last time we were there in May......everything was shut down. What has happened? Also the last time we were on the beach there......the iguanas were so aggressive that it was scary. Has that problem been taken care of? Thanks!

We got attacked by iguanas too. I will never go back there as a result. I saw a three foot long iguana jump on a woman's lap while she was eating something

This thing was bigger than a corgi, not including the huge tail. The claws scratched up her legs, it was crazy. The iguana wanted her food......

A huge one ran after me...that was enough for me....never again

!!!!!