• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Help - back to RCI after years on Celebrity

I have a new respect and sympathy for new cruisers posting questions about various topics that can be found by searching these boards. I am a long-time Celebrity cruiser who is looking into booking an October cruise on the Navigator or Freedom. I confess I have significant eye fatigue from reading page after page after page of postings trying to find answers to questions and things I might need to know. Would anyone who is willing to help me out, give me some quick answers and save me more hours of scrolling?:)

- Are there any benefits to booking a Junior Suite besides the additional size of the room, and the bathtub?

- Is there any advantage cost-wise to purchase a drink package before boarding?

- Is the Diamond Lounge open for the free drinks every night, including embarkation day?

- Are the three free drinks loaded to your card perk for Diamond confirmed available for the two ships I mentioned?

- I suspect My Time Dining is similar to an option on Celebrity, but we have always booked the standard MDR late dining. If you want this option, can you reserve all your times ahead of time? If you try to do that and all your preferred options are unavailable can you show up when you want to and wait, or be put on a waiting list? Can you request table size?

Thanks very much in advance for anyone willing to help me out here. I know the answers are there somewhere for the searching, but quick answers would be greatly appreciated!!

- I suspect My Time Dining is similar to an option on Celebrity, but we have always booked the standard MDR late dining. If you want this option, can you reserve all your times ahead of time? If you try to do that and all your preferred options are unavailable can you show up when you want to and wait, or be put on a waiting list? Can you request table size?

I'm a little confused with this question. Do you want the traditional late seating on this cruise? If so, Royal still has the traditional dining on those ships.. Of course you can still reserve that time or whatever time you like for My Time Dining, also.

I'm a little confused with this question. Do you want the traditional late seating on this cruise? If so, Royal still has the traditional dining on those ships.. Of course you can still reserve that time or whatever time you like for My Time Dining, also.

Sorry - my brain must be fuzzy by now. I was asking about My Time Dining. I was just trying to convey that even though Celebrity had something similar, I had never used it.

Sorry - my brain must be fuzzy by now. I was asking about My Time Dining. I was just trying to convey that even though Celebrity had something similar, I had never used it.

Haha, my fault also, I didn't read your question correctly! I now understand your question, but am not really able to answer it since I'm not that familiar with My Time Dining. Sorry!

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I have a new respect and sympathy for new cruisers posting questions about various topics that can be found by searching these boards. I am a long-time Celebrity cruiser who is looking into booking an October cruise on the Navigator or Freedom. I confess I have significant eye fatigue from reading page after page after page of postings trying to find answers to questions and things I might need to know. Would anyone who is willing to help me out, give me some quick answers and save me more hours of scrolling?:)

- Are there any benefits to booking a Junior Suite besides the additional size of the room, and the bathtub?

- Is there any advantage cost-wise to purchase a drink package before boarding?

- Is the Diamond Lounge open for the free drinks every night, including embarkation day?

- Are the three free drinks loaded to your card perk for Diamond confirmed available for the two ships I mentioned?

Thanks very much in advance for anyone willing to help me out here. I know the answers are there somewhere for the searching, but quick answers would be greatly appreciated!!

The only additional benefits to a JS are double C&A points and a coffee maker in room.

If your sail dates are after this fall then all ships should have the three drink coupons loaded onto them. I believe RCI said end September for all ships.

If you do MTD you can reserve all your times ahead of tie but if your plans change you can just show up when it s convenient. A courtesy call to cancel your existing reservation would be appreciated.

I know that Navigator has the three drinks offer. Yes, there are free drinks every night in the Diamond Lounge, unlike Celebrity. JR. Suites get priority boarding and double C&A points, also a walk-in closet. Prices of the drinks packages are the same whether pre-purchased or bought on board. If you prefer late dining, why not just sign up for traditional late dining?

JS perks:

Bathtub, walk-in closet (all but Majesty and Vision class), priority check-in and boarding, tea kettle, coffee maker, bathroom amenities, robes, double C&A points, and a silver Seapass card.

- Is there any advantage cost-wise to purchase a drink package before boarding? No

- Is the Diamond Lounge open for the free drinks every night, including embarkation day? Yes, and in our opinion much better than the Elite drinks on Celebrity - longer hours and less restrictive dress code

- I suspect My Time Dining is similar to an option on Celebrity, but we have always booked the standard MDR late dining. If you want this option, can you reserve all your times ahead of time? If you try to do that and all your preferred options are unavailable can you show up when you want to and wait, or be put on a waiting list? Can you request table size? You can reserve the times ahead - we always do this and then tweak the timing once we're onboard if we have other plans. Or you can just turn up and be seated - the wait is never long unless you are on a Med cruise and want to eat very late, when the lines can be long. You can request table size and if you're looking for a table for two we find that RC ships have better placed tables for 2 than S class ships

See answers above

Edited by Bobal

Thanks - question on the Diamond Lounge dress code. The RCI website says 'smart casual' which on Celebrity means no shorts or flip flops. Is that true for the Diamond Lounge?

Anything goes anymore. Royal does not enforce dress codes.

That's good to hear. One of my (few) complaints about Celebrity was the need to hurry back from a shore day to shower and dress up for the social hour, when our dinner was not until 8:30. Severely interfered with my nap time:). At the risk of opening what is a hot topic on the Celebrity boards, is the dress code for the MDR similar to Celebrity or is that more casual as well? I am a rule following person out of respect for others, so just wondering what actually happens versus what is 'required'.

That's good to hear. One of my (few) complaints about Celebrity was the need to hurry back from a shore day to shower and dress up for the social hour, when our dinner was not until 8:30. Severely interfered with my nap time:). At the risk of opening what is a hot topic on the Celebrity boards, is the dress code for the MDR similar to Celebrity or is that more casual as well? I am a rule following person out of respect for others, so just wondering what actually happens versus what is 'required'.

Royal publishes dress suggestions:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255

The reality is that they are just suggestions and not enforced. Some follow the suggestions and some don't.

Basically, casual night is long pants/collared shirt for men, capris, slacks, sundress, skirt, etc...for women. If you have a "smart casual" (which is rare), it's really the same as casual...wear your best shirt or pants! Of course, "formal" night...you can't be "too" formal...but there will be many who dress no differently than any other evening.

Daytime is ultra casual, even in the dining room. Shorts/tees/flip-flops are fine at breakfast and lunch.