• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Where do they serve asian breakfast?

JK300

OK, I'll bite...lol...What is for an Asian breakfast? Perhaps I would like to try it!

Riceporridge, some steamed 'goodies', fresh soybean milk (doubt if that will be available on board :mad:) and many other tasty dishes....

Very delicious to Asians, you should give it a try if you have a chance then you can decide whether it's your taste or not ;).

I think I will be happy with the choice they have on board the Serenity.

John

Suite Travels, no doubt about that. Guess we are on the same food level as you. Already planning how to be the first in line for the sushi bar for dinner, for every dinner :D .... ok ok.... almost every dinner then. So breakfasts and dinners are set, now consider the lunches. lol :)

John

Suite Travels, no doubt about that. Guess we are on the same food level as you. Already planning how to be the first in line for the sushi bar for dinner, for every dinner :D .... ok ok.... almost every dinner then. So breakfasts and dinners are set, now consider the lunches. lol :)

John

For what it's worth: The Japanese set (grilled salmon or cod), steamed rice, pickles, seaweed strips, miso soup is only available in the Main Dining Room. It's freshly prepared to order so it does take a little time. Watch the MDR breakfast hours, especially on shore excursion mornings. You can't rush the Japanese set breakfast, so if you're in a hurry, the Lido is the best bet.

But you won't find the set (or the grilled fish) at the Lido. Rice porridge, plain or with chicken, a minimum of condiments. Satisfying but manage your expectations if you're expecting a full blow-out Asian offering. What is available hits the spot. After all, travel is about what is not routine.

If you crave a spicy Asian curry, your senior waiter in the MDR can arrange for this with some advance notice (at least a day or two is helpful). The Asian chefs whip it up and it's authentic. They will happily do this or any other dish within reason, for lunch or dinner.

Silk Road is really fusion Japanese but a very welcome option. Occasionally, they will have fresh moshi on request (made that evening), and if you prefer the sashimi without the various, occasionally over-sauced offerings, ask for the sauce on the side. The chef will also compose a mini omakase menu at the sushi bar if you ask for it. Just tell him what you don't want. Some choice sashimi cuts are at extra cost but it's a reasonable charge given the cost of the raw ingredients. The mushroom tea soup is excellent as is the sashimi menu from the sushi bar.

We have had friends (not all Asians) who somehow, expected a Tokyo sushi bar experience and were disappointed with the fusion aspects of the Silk Road menu. It's just silly. Silk Road is an excellent restaurant with a well thought out Nobu menu that has to please a wide range of international taste level experiences.

The great thing about Crystal cuisine is it hits the right notes in the finely balanced demands between authentic "ethnic" and "international" flavours. Crystal has done this far better than other cruise lines - and the chefs are incredibly obliging if you have a special request. If you ask for an Asian chef to prepare a particular Asian dish (an Indian chef for a South Indian curry; a Thai chef for Thai dishes etc), Crystal delivers handsomely. We've never been disappointed.

The menus in the MDR are worth a detour from the sushi bar - really :)

Have a wonderful first cruise with Crystal! We're so happy we were introduced to this cruise line :)

Radar246, thank you so much for your feedback.

We don't have to worry to much about timing for breakfast since we planned only a couple excursions with Crystal the rest we do at our pace. As a Crystal first timer we 'd like to enjoy the ship first.

We will try all the different dining places.

We do taste everything Crystal has on offer and we don't expect a generous choice of Asian breakfast, but anything they serve is very welcome esp. for my better half. :D

Since you mentioned mochi :), we certainly will look out to that.

The MDR is also an experience we don't want to miss. Seems we will have a busy time on board.

John

For lunch on the Serenity, you can eat at Tastes on the Lido deck. They have an "Asian Comfort Food" menu with several types of dim sum, pork buns, and fried noodle dishes.

My husband, who is Chinese, happily tucks into an Asian breakfast at the Lido Cafe every morning. He just reminded me that on some mornings they'll serve a soup noodle dish there, as well.

Emily

My husband, who is Chinese, happily tucks into an Asian breakfast at the Lido Cafe every morning. He just reminded me that on some mornings they'll serve a soup noodle dish there, as well.

Emily

Mrs. Claypool, this is great news for my wife, she loves noodle AND soup.:p

John

Edited by JK300

For lunch on the Serenity, you can eat at Tastes on the Lido deck. They have an "Asian Comfort Food" menu with several types of dim sum, pork buns, and fried noodle dishes.

Emily

We "heard" that the Tastes menu was tweaked by the Din Tai Fung restaurant group. We are hoping to return to the Serenity per itinerary/timing by next year. Also, one of the themed Lido buffet lunch is Asian which includes many different tastes! Curry, cold soba noodles...

We "heard" that the Tastes menu was tweaked by the Din Tai Fung restaurant group. We are hoping to return to the Serenity per itinerary/timing by next year. Also, one of the themed Lido buffet lunch is Asian which includes many different tastes! Curry, cold soba noodles...

Did you say Din Tai Fung, the Taiwanese Restaurant chain. We are really curious now, can't wait. From what source have you heard?

John

Edited by JK300

A couple of the Ambassador Hosts who had cruised on the Serenity and at a later date were on the Symphony when we were on board. For the past few years, we have not been back on the Serenity. Our next Crystal cruises should be on the Serenity and then we will be having soup noodles and dumplings!:)

John, something I recommend often to those sailing on Crystal for the very first time is to try each dining venue during the course of the cruise.

For Serenity that would include Crystal Dining Room, Lido Cafe, Tastes (late risers breakfast).

For lunch, Tastes, Lido Cafe, Trident Grill and Crystal Dining Room.

For dinner, Crystal Dining Room, Silk Road (Nobu Japanase Cuisine), Prego (Italian), Tastes (little tastings served family style) featuring cuisine from around the world.

Stop by The Bistro from time to time to get a sense of what is served during breakfast and lunch and at night.

In the Crystal Dining Room each section has a Head Waiter who is responsible for the wait staff in that section and oversees a number of areas including any items you might order that are not on the menu. They love to talk about food. Same is true of the wait staff overall so when you are in the other dining venues do ask the wait staff about the food that is served in each specific area. But try it all so you can see first hand what is offered. Menus have been enhanced in some of the areas including Tastes at dinner with a whole new menu rolled out late last year and one where a few items change every couple of months and the Crystal Dining Menu with a whole new array of modern cuisine items with a separate menu which still features traditional items. Tastes for Lunch was changed a couple of years ago and again new items are introduced from time to time during the course of the year in all the venus. Lots to try and lots to enjoy. Oh, there is room service too and the ice cream bar.

Keith

A couple of the Ambassador Hosts who had cruised on the Serenity and at a later date were on the Symphony when we were on board. For the past few years, we have not been back on the Serenity. Our next Crystal cruises should be on the Serenity and then we will be having soup noodles and dumplings!:)

Thanks 8dimsum, dimsum is one of my food favourites among many others. :)

John

John, something I recommend often to those sailing on Crystal for the very first time is to try each dining venue during the course of the cruise.

They love to talk about food. Same is true of the wait staff overall so when you are in the other dining venues do ask the wait staff about the food that is served in each specific area. But try it all so you can see first hand what is offered.

Lots to try and lots to enjoy. Oh, there is room service too and the ice cream bar.

Keith

Thank you Keith,

Oh, yes that is what we intended to do from the very first day on-board the Serenity, as we mentioned earlier we'll have quite a busy time, 'dragging' ourselves from one dining venue to another. lol

We also love to talk about food (we are in that business) but trying & enjoying is even better. So we did choose the right ship. :)

John

Finally made it to the Main Dining Room for breakfast this morning on the very day of our cruise.

This is the Asian Cod set (with Grilled Black Cod). This is the also the option of Salmon instead.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/514/SymphonyJapaneseBreakfast2.jpeg

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/514/SymphonyJapaneseBreakfast1.jpeg

Rice, Miso soup, soft boiled egg, pickles, vegetables, spinach with sesame seeds, pickled plum and I think, mayonnaise.

The Egg was really done to perfection.

Definitely to be recommend.

Edited by JohnKen3