• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

best port to do dog sledding in?

scubajohn02

My adult daughters did dog sledding in Juneau in June 2005 and loved it. They Said it was great to do it once but the best part was the helicopter ride over the glaciers to get there. Stunning views. At that time it was about 400.00 pp. I heard an older man complaining about the price minus the dog sled part but after he did it he loved it and would do it Again. So apparently if flying In a helicopter doesn't bother you the ride has spectacular views.

Are you looking for a glacier dog sledding tour, or cart ride on dirt? IF a priority and you want the fly in, then you are best to book at your first opportunity of either Juneau or Skagway. IF you want a cart ride, there are tours out of both Juneau and Skagway available.

With your "break the bank" comment- the bargain option would be combined with a Skagway car rental and you driving to Carcross Yukon and stopping at Caribou Crossing.

We just got back from our cruise and are still smiling over our visit with Gold Rush Sled Dogs in Juneau.

I cannot recommend this tour highly enough! This is the summer camp of four mushers in the Sheep Creek Valley. Without the expense -and time--of a helicopter ride to a glacier, we were able to focus on these unique animals, their trainers, and a bit of history.

I was so impressed with Matt Failor and the incredible relationship he has with his dogs. When we arrived, he already had 16 dogs in harness and they could not wait to get going! But Matt walked us down the team, introducing us to each dog, encouraging us to pet them and telling us stories about their personalities, names, and traits. When we finally climbed on the sled, the dogs were so happy to pull us a mile or so down the road and back! Matt said he prefers to train on dirt because the glacier ice is hard on the dogs' feet.

On our ride, he gave us an idea of how he has to voice train them. And on our return, he walked us back down the line to praise and hug each dog. Then he took us into a small shed/museum to share some of the sled dog history & show us his actual sled from last year's Iditarod. After that, he showed off their cool "puppy wheel"(think hamster wheel!) and brought us to the newest litter. The puppies were just five days old, but momma let him pick them up and give them to us to cuddle.

We left there with a great respect for the dogs & their mushers. My daughter still pines for a couple of those dogs she met!

I don't know why more people don't know about this tour. I only knew from here and we were the only ones on our two-hour tour. I loved the intimacy & friendliness. It was FAR less expensive then the glacier camp and no risk of being cancelled due to weather. Win-win-win!

www,goldrushdogs.com

ImageUploadedByForums1407729488.248783.jpg.2ae574def9e3a647c6c11caf70939f11.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums