Viking Rhine Getaway - Our photo intensive review on the Viking Ingvi, Summer 2014

cruisinskier

Jerry,

Thank you so much for the awesome information in your review! I have enjoyed your pictures and can't wait for our Rhine trip July 2015 the same week that you spent there in 2014. I was a bit concerned about those weather forecast pics you posted, so it will be interesting to see how we fare. I may bring the rain suit!

We are pretty independent travelers and have already booked our own air arrangements and will be staying in Amsterdam pre-cruise and seeing the city on our own.

I wanted to get your opinion on the excursions.

We would like to rent bikes, just not sure that is an Amsterdam activity :eek: so I wondered if Kinderdijk would be the best place to ride bikes if we skipped the group tour? :confused:

Your pics of Colmar were lovely, and I must say that trip is definitely now on my To-Do list. Is that trip just an extension of the Black Forest bus trip? We are not huge fans of the bus trips.

Do you think Rudesheim is a must do with the Viking excursion or is this an easy night to enjoy on our own?

And, truly, your gorgeous picture of the Eiffel tower in Paris at night was absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing your photography with us all. :)

Hello- We were in Kinderdijk this summer, and the gift shop directly across from the dock had bikes for rent. Can't remember the rate, except that I thought it was a good deal.

Have a great trip!

How do you know how many views you got?

Hi Mimmy. On the computer view, the main page that lists all the threads also shows how many replies and how many views. This is not on the view via the app which I assume you are using. Hope all is well!!

Jerry

Hi Mimmy. On the computer view, the main page that lists all the threads also shows how many replies and how many views. This is not on the view via the app which I assume you are using. Hope all is well!!

Jerry

I never noticed that before! Thanks, Jerry. I go back and forth between my computer and my iPad depending on where I am.

Of the optional tours you took, is there a favorite or a make sure you do. Was not planning on doing any optional tours but don't want to miss something fantastic. Thanks.

Hi Sturmin. Easy answer....Colmar. Do it. It is like visiting a piece of Venice with the ambiance of France. Very scenic, great food and great shopping. We enjoyed wandering around for few hours, lots to see! There is a choice of a train ride our a walking tour. Take the train ride which is included in the optional tour so you see the entire town and then wander back to the places that looked interesting.

There is also an option to combine the Colmar trip with a WW1 site visit which I heard great things about. We did not do this as we had spent 3 days touring WW1 sites in Belgium prior to the cruise.

Enjoy! Jerry

Hi Sturmin. Easy answer....Colmar. Do it. It is like visiting a piece of Venice with the ambiance of France. Very scenic, great food and great shopping. We enjoyed wandering around for few hours, lots to see! There is a choice of a train ride our a walking tour. Take the train ride which is included in the optional tour so you see the entire town and then wander back to the places that looked interesting.

There is also an option to combine the Colmar trip with a WW1 site visit which I heard great things about. We did not do this as we had spent 3 days touring WW1 sites in Belgium prior to the cruise.

Enjoy! Jerry

Thanks. After reading reviews and other research looked like we should tour Colmar, just wanted a second opinion. Would like to do more touring of WWI or WWII sites but may have to wait for next time on our own. I've been visiting with my last great uncle, he crossed the Rhine by Remagen. May have to get up in the middle of the night to take pictures for him. Too much to see and not enough time to enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry, Question for you. Today an OP asked about ear buds with the Quiet Vox system. If I go to page 2, post 28 I can kindof/sortof see the plug for your Quiet Vox. It looks to be a standard 1/8" plug. Answers to the OP say it is a proprietary square plug. Can you clear this up? I was counting on wearing my own ear buds, too.

Thanks,

Gary

I accidentally ended up bringing home one of the earbuds, misplaced it one day and had to get a new one.

Anyway, it is a standard earphone jack. Fits in my weather radio and other devices.

You're definitely going to be more comfortable with your own, the Viking one has some rough edges and is not adjustable so it pinched a little. Also I found the cord a few inches too short to wear it comfortably at my waist.

Jerry, Question for you. Today an OP asked about ear buds with the Quiet Vox system. If I go to page 2, post 28 I can kindof/sortof see the plug for your Quiet Vox. It looks to be a standard 1/8" plug. Answers to the OP say it is a proprietary square plug. Can you clear this up? I was counting on wearing my own ear buds, too.

Thanks,

Gary

HI Gary. As AnotherDawn has indicated, the ear buds did have the standard connector. After a couple of days I switched over to my Bose earbuds that I typically use in my Iphone and they worked fine. Enjoy and have a great cruise! Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
Jerry - thanks so much for taking the time to write your review and posting your fabulous pics! We're thinking about doing this next year with the parents and this really helps with that decision.

Tina

Hi Tina. Glad you found the review useful. Just remember that river cruises book up early. You may have trouble finding space for 2015 depending upon when you are hoping to go so don't delay long...

Happy travels!

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
Jerry,

Thank you for taking the time to post all the wonderful pictures and reviews.

Truly the best I've seen.

Makes we want to go now but we don't go until July.

Denise

Thanks Denise. Glad you found the review valuable. This morning we left the cold of the Toronto area and I am now sitting on a balcony in Fort Lauderdale, wearing shorts and maybe having a cold drink of sorts...:D. Tomorrow we board the Celebrity Silhouette and there just may be a seasonal review to follow...

Enjoy your trip in July. Safe travels!

Jerry

Jerry, just stumbled upon your Viking review yesterday evening and read the 26 pages over the last 24 hours.

Great piece of work!

I've never been on a River Cruise but imagine I will at some point. I've driven up and down the Rhine (and Mosel) a few times so am familiar with some of the towns you visited and especially the Rhine castles you passed by. Thanks for reminding me of the beauty of Colmar and Strasbourg, the latter which I drove though in a heavy rainstorm in 2007.

Great photos and thanks for including all your glasses of beer and meals ashore and on the ship. The food on the ship looks well presented and some care has been taken with it.

The before and after cruise destinations were some icing on a very rich cake. I particularly was interested in Lucerne-one of the most scenic places I have ever visited (2009).

We went up Mt Pilatus for lunch when we were there and did the reverse of your trip- i.e we took a ferry to the cog railway first and came back down on that long cable car ride. The cable car ride is such a relaxing enjoyable experience made all the more magical by the occasional sound of a cowbell (MORE cowbell!! LOL) as you pass over the open pastures.

I see you were dressed for cool weather on Pilatus and it was cloudy. We were lucky to find mid 70's at the top (May) and were able to shed a layer or two and had a very good lunch outdoors. We will return to Lucerne some day.

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

I see today finds you on the Celebrity Silhouette. I watched her sail away from P.E. I hope you both have a great cruise!

Best wishes,

Norris

Hi everyone!

I'd like to start by thanking Cruisinskier for his fantastic review! You answered SOOO many questions we had about our upcoming Rhine cruise.... all but one. My husband and I were glued to our computers for 2 days reading every word! We are taking a Rhine River Cruise in the fall of 2015 on the Viking Mani. We got a really good deal on a room on the lower level. We are used to balcony rooms on Royal Caribbean and were willing to save some $$$ by taking a lower level room as we really spend minimal time in the room and it will be too cold to use the balcony anyway. The BIG worry is the engine noise! I have read a few reviews of people saying that they didnt sleep through the entire cruise because of the engine noise. I called Viking and was told that the new longships have energy efficient engines that are much quieter than the old ones. Now we actually LIKE a steady low background hum (like a cozy old air conditioner) and travel with a machine that produces white noise to drown out outside noises (like loud tvs next door, etc)

My question is this: Has anyone out there actually stayed in a lower level room? and if you have...what kind of "engine noise" did you hear? Was it really THAT loud that it kept you awake? Was it just a light humming, or a horrific rattling? If its that bad, we may have to actually bite the bullet and upgrade our room...help! Anyone?

Edited by NYBrunette
typo

If you search "engine noise" on the River Board it is a subject mentioned fairly often!

If you are back where the engines are you will likely hear some noise IMHO.

Where is your cabin on the ships diagram (aft, mid, or forward).... The further mid to forward you are the less you will likely hear.

Search ...... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all. we have just returned from our cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette. If anyone is interested, I have just started my review and it will take some time to add all the photos, dailies, etc. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2140218

I wish each of you a happy holiday season, a Merry Christmas, and a prosperous New Year full of fun travel adventures!

Jerry

Jerry, just stumbled upon your Viking review yesterday evening and read the 26 pages over the last 24 hours.

Great piece of work!

I've never been on a River Cruise but imagine I will at some point. I've driven up and down the Rhine (and Mosel) a few times so am familiar with some of the towns you visited and especially the Rhine castles you passed by. Thanks for reminding me of the beauty of Colmar and Strasbourg, the latter which I drove though in a heavy rainstorm in 2007.

Great photos and thanks for including all your glasses of beer and meals ashore and on the ship. The food on the ship looks well presented and some care has been taken with it.

The before and after cruise destinations were some icing on a very rich cake. I particularly was interested in Lucerne-one of the most scenic places I have ever visited (2009).

We went up Mt Pilatus for lunch when we were there and did the reverse of your trip- i.e we took a ferry to the cog railway first and came back down on that long cable car ride. The cable car ride is such a relaxing enjoyable experience made all the more magical by the occasional sound of a cowbell (MORE cowbell!! LOL) as you pass over the open pastures.

I see you were dressed for cool weather on Pilatus and it was cloudy. We were lucky to find mid 70's at the top (May) and were able to shed a layer or two and had a very good lunch outdoors. We will return to Lucerne some day.

I see today finds you on the Celebrity Silhouette. I watched her sail away from P.E. I hope you both have a great cruise!

Best wishes,

Norris

Hi Norris. Glad you enjoyed the review and thanks for adding your photos of Lucerne. Pilatus was definitely one of the highlights of our trip and I strongly recommend a mountain trip to anyone going to this area...my in-laws who were travelling with us still talk about this every time I see them.

And thanks for your wishes for our Silhouette cruise....we enjoyed it and had great family time together with our kids....who aren't really kids any more!

Safe travels.

Jerry

Hi everyone!

I'd like to start by thanking Cruisinskier for his fantastic review! You answered SOOO many questions we had about our upcoming Rhine cruise.... all but one. My husband and I were glued to our computers for 2 days reading every word! We are taking a Rhine River Cruise in the fall of 2015 on the Viking Mani. We got a really good deal on a room on the lower level. We are used to balcony rooms on Royal Caribbean and were willing to save some $$$ by taking a lower level room as we really spend minimal time in the room and it will be too cold to use the balcony anyway. The BIG worry is the engine noise! I have read a few reviews of people saying that they didnt sleep through the entire cruise because of the engine noise. I called Viking and was told that the new longships have energy efficient engines that are much quieter than the old ones. Now we actually LIKE a steady low background hum (like a cozy old air conditioner) and travel with a machine that produces white noise to drown out outside noises (like loud tvs next door, etc)

My question is this: Has anyone out there actually stayed in a lower level room? and if you have...what kind of "engine noise" did you hear? Was it really THAT loud that it kept you awake? Was it just a light humming, or a horrific rattling? If its that bad, we may have to actually bite the bullet and upgrade our room...help! Anyone?

Hi NYBrunette, glad you enjoyed the review and found it useful. I see Nana was able to assist with your question....it is a great community here on CC!

Safe travels and I look forward to reading your review in the future!

Jerry