Automatic Cabin Door Takes Attendant For Ride

I was just reminded of a story from our last cruise and thought it would be a good time to share since I think the statute of limitations has most likely passed on telling such a story.

We were upgraded to an Accessible JS on the Jewel last November which comes equipped with an automatic cabin door. Prior to the incident it was a feature that we thought was pretty convenient. Especially if we had our hands full. We had gone through the first 4 1/2 days of the cruise enjoying the door as anyone would. It opens, it closes. Fairly straight forward.

Midway through day 5 the wife and I had gone back to the ship for some food and some .......... I guess since this is a family website, you can fill in the blank now or at the end of the story. Anyway, during .......... we heard a knock at the door. I said to wait just a minute.. Another knock... Just a minute please...

About that time I heard the key card being swiped. Remember, this triggers the automatic door. So, now, here I am running to my nearest pair of shorts which just happen to be across the room viewable from the door. In one amazing move I leaped across the room, reached for my shorts and managed to get only one leg in the shorts (ok... not so amazing, but it was close). I quickly recovered and was able to get my shorts on.

While all this is happening all I can hear is "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry" and as I look to the door I see our room attendant being pulled into the room like she was on skis trying to hold the automatic door from opening. Strong motors those doors have as she could do nothing to stop it from opening. More apologies from the attendant and a bunch of laughs from the wife and I, and the incident was over.

Watching her get pulled into the cabin by that door and just gliding across the carpet had to be one of the funniest things I had ever seen. To top it off she ended up sitting next to us on the beach at that Boat Yard in Barbados. Not quite as eventful though.

Anyone else ever have a somewhat embarrassing moment during their cruise to share? C'mon, I know we aren't the only ones out there. :p

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Yeah, well our attendant started walking in on us after DH yelled very loudly to WAIT! after he knocked. Not sure what they think we mean when we say wait, but it was almost a very embarassing moment and we didn't even have a automatic door lol. We were in a GS and had a curtain that I pulled and DH managed to get partly dressed, but seriously, learn what wait means.

Edited by BND

Anyone else curious how one as limber as the OP snagged an accessible cabin :confused:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Accessible cabins may be released to the general public shortly prior to sail date. They have also been assigned to those booking a guarantee cabin, particularly if the assignment is well after final payment.

Perhaps the OP's wife needed the accessible cabin.

M

Accessible cabins may be released to the general public shortly prior to sail date. They have also been assigned to those booking a guarantee cabin, particularly if the assignment is well after final payment.

True- we booked a gty, and were assigned an accessible balcony on the Serenade just before sailing.

While all this is happening all I can hear is "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry" and as I look to the door I see our room attendant being pulled into the room like she was on skis trying to hold the automatic door from opening.

Lol, lv2bcruzin, I can just picture that! :D

A deadbolt would've been a simple solution to prevent this from happening. I guess we weren't really thinking the cabin attendant would be coming back. The cabin had already been cleaned. I can't remember why she was coming back, but I think it was to give us beach towels or something like that.

Anyone else curious how one as limber as the OP snagged an accessible cabin :confused:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

As others had already posted, we were given an upgrade in the last two weeks before sailing and they assigned us that cabin. Obviously we would not book an accessible cabin in general.

We were on that cruise with you and met you and your wife at the informal M & M. Glad you had such a "good" time! Funny story!

Ellen

Ya, I remember you :). We did have a good time. Not only then, but that cruise was just amazing! Thankfully that downpour in San Juan was the last time we seen rain. Was worried the wife's first cruise was going to be nothing but rain the entire time.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

I posted this a long time ago on a different board here but will share again...

Went on a cruise with one of my brothers several years ago. One night I had way to much to drink. The next morning I woke up lying on one of the balcony loungers, naked, and we were docked right next to another ship. Extremely dazed and confused I jumped up and tried to get in the cabin but the door was locked. I started pounding on the door and my brother opened the curtains. He said he would not let me in until I promise to never get that drunk again. Of course I was yelling "I promise, I promise". He finally let me in.

I asked him how did I end up naked on the balcony. Come to find out when he got me back to the cabin I got sick on myself. He said he was so frustrated he just took off my soiled clothes, dragged me onto the lounger on the balcony, sat a trash can next to me, locked the balcony door and went to bed. He was still very angry but now we laugh about it!

Dead bolt sounds like a good idea but I heard that, for safety reasons, the cabin attendant's key card over rides the dead bolt and opens the door anyway.

Anyone know the truth in this?

I guess they would have to have some way to get into the cabin in an emergency.

It would be nice if they had a fixture on the door like they do in those jiffy johns where you turn a handle that says "occupied" or "open". I guess that would be too expensive.:rolleyes:

Gwen :)

I guess they would have to have some way to get into the cabin in an emergency.

It would be nice if they had a fixture on the door like they do in those jiffy johns where you turn a handle that says "occupied" or "open". I guess that would be too expensive.:rolleyes:

Gwen :)

I think they have to use a key to open the deadbolt. I may be wrong though. Edited by FLACRUISER99

I posted this a long time ago on a different board here but will share again...

Went on a cruise with one of my brothers several years ago. One night I had way to much to drink. The next morning I woke up lying on one of the balcony loungers, naked, and we were docked right next to another ship. Extremely dazed and confused I jumped up and tried to get in the cabin but the door was locked. I started pounding on the door and my brother opened the curtains. He said he would not let me in until I promise to never get that drunk again. Of course I was yelling "I promise, I promise". He finally let me in.

I asked him how did I end up naked on the balcony. Come to find out when he got me back to the cabin I got sick on myself. He said he was so frustrated he just took off my soiled clothes, dragged me onto the lounger on the balcony, sat a trash can next to me, locked the balcony door and went to bed. He was still very angry but now we laugh about it!

Now that sounds like a rough night! :p

Okay Adam,

You know we'll be joining you on FOS on 9/14 and we ARE in a JS HC suite on deck 10! If you want you're welcome to go "skiing", just give us plenty of notice!!!!;)

Bill

LOL... Perfect... I'll bring my fuzzy winter hat for the ride! :p