El Cheapo Cruises Thread

Originally Posted by kiwipete View Post

A real cheapy from an Auckland online ta.

Pacific Pearl 10 nights akl - akl Vanuatu and Noumea.

Inside cabin from $599.

24hr Sale finishes tonight!

This one is now $474 NZD..... so Booked!!! In 2006 we paid $3500 each for this exact cruise - who says cruising is an expensive hobby....

Edited by Rob99

Inside cabin from $599.

This one is now $474 NZD..... so Booked!!! In 2006 we paid $3500 each for this exact cruise - who says cruising is an expensive hobby....

Congratulations..:):)

Here's a special that is not usually mentioned here.....

Anybody interested in doing a River Cruise...........Viking are having a HUGE sale at the moment which lasts until 29 Feb. If you are thinking of doing the Danube (Budapest to Amsterdam or visa versa), then check this out........

15 day river cruise, includes port tours, gratuities plus Silver drinks package in November is $2898 per person!!!! The usual cost of these cruises are around $7000 and I have never seen this cruise at this price. And Viking are one of the top notch river cruise lines.....they operate more than 50 ships!!

If November doesn't suit, the same cruise is for sale on selected cruises at $3698 in October or $3798 in July. These prices themselves are excellent.

We have cruised with Viking before and they are very, very good. Excellent service and outstanding food. And river cruising is a completely different concept to ocean cruising. We really enjoyed it.

Here is the link

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com.au/cruise-destinations/europe/grand-european-tour/2016-amsterdam-budapest/index.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=

Click on the "see dates and pricing" tab and follow it from there. They also have other river cruises on sale as well. Obviously, there is no air with these prices but a river cruise for under AUD$200 per day per person is an absolute bargain.

You will have to ring them to book......1800 131 744.

Wow, that is awesome.

Inside cabin from $599.

I suppose it just depends on when you book the cruise.:D

I'm trying to convince my husband to do a river cruise and combine it with a European holiday.

That's what dad wants to do as well. A river cruise & then train it round Europe ie Switzerland ect. About 30 days total.

Worried that a 7 yr old child maybe a bit young to do a river cruise.

That's what dad wants to do as well. A river cruise & then train it round Europe ie Switzerland ect. About 30 days total.

We have done something similar. We cruised the Rhine to Basel in Switzerland, then trained it to Italy....it was spectacular.

We would love that too.

But need to cruise there and back.

A bit time consuming and costly.

Esilef - the river cruise is very very different to the ocean cruise ships.

To start with they only hold about 140 -150 passengers, Whereas the bigger cruise ships have numerous places to go while cruising there is really only the one lounge area and your cabin plus depending on the time of year the top deck may be open. We were on it in November and there was no top deck at all, it had been folded down and away for the winter.

Having travelled with you and William I think it would be very difficult for you, even if they do allow children on board, and I think I read somewhere min age of 10 but I can't find that now. I know you spent most of the day walking around various areas on the ship but that just can't happen on the river cruise.

The river cruises do however have included excursions every day so you dont have any sea days. We saw no children at all on our cruise, the youngest would have been in 40s and that was due to the fact flight centre had a group of TA on board as it was the last cruise for the season. We did the river cruise along with an extra 6 weeks in Europe before and after the cruise.

The Christmas markets were just so lovely, and many days we had snow, so it was very very cold but equally so nice for us Aussies. I am hoping to get a good deal to take hubby now that he has discovered cruising. There was a great deal last year but we had already booked a cruise around Japan for the same time.

Edited by Tara Jane

Got this one from our TA today. $2499pp inside twin, 16 March 2016 Azamara. Too bad we're off to India on 31/3.

This 15 night Fly & Cruise offer includes:

• Return Economy Class airfare from Perth
  • 13 night cruise aboard Azamara Quest from Japan (Osaka, overnight onboard) Hiroshima, Shanghai (overnight onboard), Hong Kong (overnight onboard) and Singapore
  • All meals and entertainment
  • Selected standard spirits, international beers and wines
  • Bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffee and teas
  • Complimentary gratuities
  • AzAmazing Event - a magical evening at Binh Quoi Village
  • All taxes

Flying from another state?

Depart Sydney from $2599pp twin share

Depart Brisbane from $2599pp twin share

You would need to be quick to get a China visa although the TA is offering an express Visa service for $335.

Yes I got that one too. I sure wouldn't be happy spending $335 for a visa that is under debate whether its actually needed now. We got ours in 4 days but it meant 2 trips into Melbourne. It cost $109.50 pp.

Will be interesting when we board if they even look for it in the passport.

I will report back after our trip. Most comments about the need for/not need are on the Asia board.

I'm inclined to agree that William at aged 7 is far to young to do a river cruise. He needs entertainment 24/7 (yes he has ADHD)...

Dads wondering now if we could do a large cruiseline to Europe in winter.

We need to be in Lucerne Switzerland by the 23/12.

I will mention to him that there is an age limit on river cruises.

If he wants to do a river cruise maybe William & I can backpack around Europe whilst he does this or book an apartment in Paris where he & I do day trips?

Dad's calling a travel agent to see what fits in with his plans.

It's dads 70th birthday holiday & he wants it to be amazing.....

I'm inclined to agree that William at aged 7 is far to young to do a river cruise. He needs entertainment 24/7 (yes he has ADHD)...

If he wants to do a river cruise maybe William & I can backpack around Europe whilst he does this or book an apartment in Paris where he & I do day trips?

It appears your dad is now hooked on cruising.

Lucerne is lovely. We had a few days there two years ago. Spent a whole day on the lake.....absolutely magnificent scenery.

A white Christmas how wonderful. I had one in Salzburg in 2003, just magical.

Once the grandaughters stop believing in the big man in the red suit then I will go back to do it all again. Can't leave them at Christmas just yet they enjoy it too much so granny enjoys it too.

At William's age, have you considered train travel in Europe, combined with apartments in a couple of places, like Paris, as you say. Most young children love trains and you meet a lot of fellow travellers that way.