Jump to content

El Cheapo Cruises Thread


Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That sounds a good deal, have you sailed MSC before?

Have never cruised MSC, there's always a first time. It's been some time since I've read any MSC reviews but from what I remember they were favourable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Let us know how you go and if you book it.

I got a quote for single supplement, outside, unobstructed view, deck 8 or 5, ex Sydney for $8399. Normal rate is $6199pp. How does that sound? I'm more than a little apprehensive about going solo.

I think grats are USD12 p/day x 20 = USD240. Prices above are AUD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I got a quote for single supplement, outside, unobstructed view, deck 8 or 5, ex Sydney for $8399. Normal rate is $6199pp. How does that sound? I'm more than a little apprehensive about going solo.

I think grats are USD12 p/day x 20 = USD240. Prices above are AUD.

A long time to be solo, if you do not manage to connect with any one for some company at least for some of the day (trivia or dinners, etc) it would get old real fast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I got a quote for single supplement, outside, unobstructed view, deck 8 or 5, ex Sydney for $8399. Normal rate is $6199pp. How does that sound? I'm more than a little apprehensive about going solo.

I think grats are USD12 p/day x 20 = USD240. Prices above are AUD.

 

One thing I'd say to be wary of, if you're apprehensive of going solo, is that MSC have more international guests i.e. non English speakers than other cruises you're used to. As it's going to the US it will probably have more English speakers than standard, and I haven't sailed that route before, but based on European sailings, they may have only <20% English speakers.

 

That's fine for the onboard experience (as they cater equally well for all, and it works well), but it makes things quieter in terms of communicating with, or meeting other passengers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

A long time to be solo, if you do not manage to connect with any one for some company at least for some of the day (trivia or dinners, etc) it would get old real fast.

 

Unlikely to be trivia because of the language issue.

 

They run other activities and demos instead, less reliant on language.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My research tends to show that this ship/cruise is aimed at the American market so there should be plenty of them. I have no problem with foreign language speakers as I like learning from them. I have a smattering of German, Spanish, Italian and high school French.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My research tends to show that this ship/cruise is aimed at the American market so there should be plenty of them. I have no problem with foreign language speakers as I like learning from them. I have a smattering of German, Spanish, Italian and high school French.

I am sure you will be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I got a quote for single supplement, outside, unobstructed view, deck 8 or 5, ex Sydney for $8399. Normal rate is $6199pp. How does that sound? I'm more than a little apprehensive about going solo.

I think grats are USD12 p/day x 20 = USD240. Prices above are AUD.

You appear to have secured a geat deal and it could get better if you end up with a cabin mate😉.I consider it more than likely to happen with over seven months to go before your cruise, you will have more than one person wanting to join you.

Good luck in finding someone.

BTW it may be a worthwhile to post what characteristics you require in a Cabin Buddy and arrange a time and place for a  meeting of interested folk.

Is there already a Roll Call for your cruise on Cruise Critic? If not start one. I've met many Cabin Mates/Buddies who actually met on Roll Calls. Think about it, you may end up with a group, all sigles sharing cabins

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, tobytoby said:

You appear to have secured a geat deal and it could get better if you end up with a cabin mate😉.I consider it more than likely to happen with over seven months to go before your cruise, you will have more than one person wanting to join you.

Good luck in finding someone.

BTW it may be a worthwhile to post what characteristics you require in a Cabin Buddy and arrange a time and place for a  meeting of interested folk.

Is there already a Roll Call for your cruise on Cruise Critic? If not start one. I've met many Cabin Mates/Buddies who actually met on Roll Calls. Think about it, you may end up with a group, all sigles sharing cabins

Thanks for the advice. Being single is new territory for me so I may have to ease into it. I take things a day at a time ATM.

There is a roll call already.

Edited by lyndarra
typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Thanks for the advice. Being single is new territory for me so I may have to ease into it. I take things a day at a time ATM.

There is a roll call already.

Good news, I am sure that you will make a connection on the roll call with some like minded people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2019 at 1:41 PM, lyndarra said:

I got a quote for single supplement, outside, unobstructed view, deck 8 or 5, ex Sydney for $8399. Normal rate is $6199pp. How does that sound? I'm more than a little apprehensive about going solo.

I think grats are USD12 p/day x 20 = USD240. Prices above are AUD.

The price sounds OK for a solo.

 

but agree about the language barrier, but I’ve found I can converse pretty well with most Europeans, their English is way better than my European languages, but then I’m a hermit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Thanks for the advice. Being single is new territory for me so I may have to ease into it. I take things a day at a time ATM.

There is a roll call already.

Glad to be of help.

You may also consider arranging an independant group tour of Genoa pre- cruise. 

We have met some very lovely people this way. A group of ten or less has always worked well for us😉

 

genoa.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, aussiebossyboots said:

I occasionally like to read this topic, but noticed that there has been little activity lately.

 

Is everyone cruising? or there are no good deals?

 

Cheers,

Been busy cruising with limited internet lol. 

 

Booked Radiance OTS 15 nights Sept 4 2020 from Vancouver to Tokyo. Inside gty were $951 AUD. 

 

We booked OV gty for $1170 pp. 

 

This sort of links up with Voyager 17 nights Hong Kong to Sydney which leaves on Oct 5th. Balconies were around $2200 or so. 

 

Booking both would allow for two long cruises and a few weeks land travel in Japan China area in between with only a flight to Vancouver and short connecting flights and even train travel within China whike in Asia. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a great holiday.  Can't wait for Hubby to stop teaching so we can go outside of school holidays.  Jealous!

 

We are paying lots to go in July to the South Pacific - first time for us by ship and then in January to Papua New Guinea.  Staying relatively local this year due to family commitments.

 

Hope everyone is enjoying their cruising.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, woodyren said:

Been busy cruising with limited internet lol. 

 

Booked Radiance OTS 15 nights Sept 4 2020 from Vancouver to Tokyo. Inside gty were $951 AUD. 

 

We booked OV gty for $1170 pp. 

 

This sort of links up with Voyager 17 nights Hong Kong to Sydney which leaves on Oct 5th. Balconies were around $2200 or so. 

 

Booking both would allow for two long cruises and a few weeks land travel in Japan China area in between with only a flight to Vancouver and short connecting flights and even train travel within China whike in Asia. 

Oh that looks fantastic...I am going to have a look at that too ! LOL. Being solo often the cost is explosive though

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Kazzygirl said:

Oh that looks fantastic...I am going to have a look at that too ! LOL. Being solo often the cost is explosive though

 

A friend booked Radiance 15 nights solo inside for around $1500 through one of the Aussie ta's. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, woodyren said:

A friend booked Radiance 15 nights solo inside for around $1500 through one of the Aussie ta's. 

Radiance has had some great prices lately, we recently swapped 11 days on Solstice for 11 days on Radiance and saved over $1K, only a week difference in timing, in fact Radiance is “more” in school holidays than Solstice was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, woodyren said:

Been busy cruising with limited internet lol. 

 

Booked Radiance OTS 15 nights Sept 4 2020 from Vancouver to Tokyo. Inside gty were $951 AUD. 

 

We booked OV gty for $1170 pp. 

 

This sort of links up with Voyager 17 nights Hong Kong to Sydney which leaves on Oct 5th. Balconies were around $2200 or so. 

 

Booking both would allow for two long cruises and a few weeks land travel in Japan China area in between with only a flight to Vancouver and short connecting flights and even train travel within China whike in Asia. 

That looks an amazing holiday, we did Beijing to Vancouver back in 2013, such a great route, through Japan, Alaska then Canada. Sooo Jealous!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone what’s to splurge?

we booked 3 grand suites between friends on serenade of the seas to Tasmania 12 of December 2020 $1600 each for 5 nights.

 That’s a bit over $300 a day each,Grand suites are up about $400-$550 a day.

First class,free booze,concierge,free ship tours,lunch with the captain—-big cabin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

If anyone what’s to splurge?

we booked 3 grand suites between friends on serenade of the seas to Tasmania 12 of December 2020 $1600 each for 5 nights.

 That’s a bit over $300 a day each,Grand suites are up about $400-$550 a day.

First class,free booze,concierge,free ship tours,lunch with the captain—-big cabin.

Well done...good value for money there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...