3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I did a little digging:

"All prices onboard Sun Princess®, Sea Princess®, Diamond Princess®, Majestic Princess®, Ruby Princess® and Golden Princess® cruises departing from and returning to Australia and Majestic, Golden and Ruby Princess sailing one way Sydney to Auckland and vice versa and Majestic Princess repositioning voyages from Asia to Australia and vice versa are in Australian Dollars.

Prices onboard all other Princess Cruises ships including Princess cruises repositioning from USA to Australia (including sector on repositioning sailing Auckland to Sydney and vice versa) Regal Princess® repositioning from Europe/Asia to Australia and Diamond Princess® cruises departing from and returning to Japan are in US Dollars."

The way I read that is that you are correct and the Ruby cruise above would be USD onboard. As would all Princess transpacific cruises.

However Majestic cruises going to or from Asia are in AUD.

Well done.

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

As I suspected. Still it looks like a good price. I've been looking for a cruise either ex LA or Hawaii to Sydney . The killer however is the one way airfare, I did a quick search and came up with cheapest at about AUD1700. In the past I've found return flights SYD/LAX for about the same. Add on AUD300 for grats and its adding up. I think a fly/cruise package from a TA could be the way to go. Or maybe I could use some Velocity points.

You can fly Air NZ SYD-LAX those dates one way around $900 via AKL, or American direct for ~$100 more.

20 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It is getting harder and harder to use points for flights that you want or can actually use.

It isn't always easy but they are there to be found. I have both Qantas & Velocity pts. In the last two years we have flown all in J (Mrs woodyren and I ) to connect with repo cruises or distant cruises.

Beijing to Barcelona on Singapore Airlines with Velocity pts, 

Beijing to Sydney Singapore Airlines twice with Velocity points.

Copenhagen to Beijing on Finnair with Qantas pts.

Singapore to Barcelona  on Singapore Airlines with Velocity pts.

We also have a pts booking this coming Sept Brisbane to San Francisco on Fiji Air with Qantas pts then LA to Vancouver on Delta. We will then join Ovation back to Australia.

The trick I believe is to get out of Sydney or Melbourne and fly on partner airlines. Will be looking to fly Sydney to Taipei on China Airlines and then connect to Vancouver on Cathay from there using Qantas points for a future cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo on Radiance in sept next year.

Also lots of availability on Virgin Atlantic New York to Hong Kong which we will use to get back most of the way from our Allure Trans Atlantic in Nov next year. Superb lounges in NYC and London to enjoy. Velocity pts.

Cant book as too far out at present but quite a bit of availability currently.

You dont always find then searching initially on either website but at times you try each leg individually and then call to book.

Most pts via credit card churning.    

I got an email at 7 this morning for this one.

Cruise tour including return flights

Hotel Rome 1 night pre cruise

10 Night cruise, Explorer OTS, depart Rome, to Sicily, Valetta, Santorini, Ephesus, (Kusadasi), Mykonos, Athens, Naples/Capri, return to Rome.

Hotel Rome 1 night post cruise.

Including grats.

Inside AUD2799. O/V + $359.

May 2020.

Sorry, it was a 1 hour special

Edited by lyndarra
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

We have sailed NCL a few times and enjoyed the cruises, one was the Baltic the other was the Med.

Mic how would you compare princess to NCL?

One of the online companys have great packages with flights,  hotels stays and transfers with the mainstream cruiselines.

So many to choose from. I really want to see Norway Coast and Lofoten Islands and was thinking a medium sized, well organised (for tenders) ship that was more affordable and comfortable than Hurtigruten.

52 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Do not try to do full day tours in every port, being very port intensive it gets very tiring. Ask here or PM me for anything more specific. 

We are doing the Baltic again next July.

Will do I have intended only to go for a walk in Tallin. Luckily we have the 19 day trans Atlantic straight after lots of sea days.

On 7/16/2019 at 10:29 AM, Sallyandtex said:

There is some unbelievable prices for packages to Northern Europe with mSC and Norwegian. Does anyone have experience with them,?

I've done 3 cruises on MSC (including 2 lengthy relocation's) and 1 Baltic cruise on Norwegian. I prefer MSC to NCL partially because NCL only offer anytime dinning which we don't like. Also MSC will status match with other cruise lines which means we get the benefits of their black card. But Princess and Celebrity are our favourites by far.

Brian

18 hours ago, rugbypopsie said:

Will do I have intended only to go for a walk in Tallin. Luckily we have the 19 day trans Atlantic straight after lots of sea days.

Good plan, may I suggest getting a cab to the top of Tallinn and then you can just work your way down.

18 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

Mic how would you compare princess to NCL?

One of the online companys have great packages with flights,  hotels stays and transfers with the mainstream cruiselines.

So many to choose from. I really want to see Norway Coast and Lofoten Islands and was thinking a medium sized, well organised (for tenders) ship that was more affordable and comfortable than Hurtigruten.

I suppose they both have pros and cons. I would say that Princess is a step above NCL in service and quality and such but NCL is a much easier style of cruising with far better cabins (size) and their entertainment is fabulous (some broadway type shows) although this may vary from ship to ship.

As for packages, we have done a few and have had no issues. The main thing is to price all the components separately and then look at the T&Cs for the package to work out what is included and excluded. That way you can make an informed decision on which is better.

I cannot compare to Hurtigurten as we have no experience with those ships but have done the Norwegian coast (lower half) on the Caribbean Princess which was awesome.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I suppose they both have pros and cons. I would say that Princess is a step above NCL in service and quality and such but NCL is a much easier style of cruising with far better cabins (size) and their entertainment is fabulous (some broadway type shows) although this may vary from ship to ship.

As for packages, we have done a few and have had no issues. The main thing is to price all the components separately and then look at the T&Cs for the package to work out what is included and excluded. That way you can make an informed decision on which is better.

I cannot compare to Hurtigurten as we have no experience with those ships but have done the Norwegian coast (lower half) on the Caribbean Princess which was awesome.

Thanks Mic, so much to think about! There were some good itineraries for Island and Crown princess but I thought Island was smaller so not too many people (eg we like Radiance OTS much better than Voyager with RCI) 

Also HAL gave great talks when we did Alaska whereas P and O and Carnival didn't make mention of any landmarks or wildlife the last few cruises we did.