On 5/29/2020 at 1:57 PM, Cruisegroover said:

They want full payment upfront - with all the issues people are having getting refunds I personally will look very carefully in the future at cancellations fees etc. I don't think I could pay a non-refundable deposit of a large amount ever again.

Have you given any thought to were they are going to get the crew from

many are still stick on ships waiting to get home

IMHO this is wishful thinking. Sorry 😪😪

10 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Yeah, the cruise lines have been really lax about this - though of course it's in their economic interest.

What they should do is operate a trust program for any cruises in the next year, that if the passenger is eligible for a refund, it gets refunded immediately by the escrow operator. None of this 6 months wait.

I'm not willing to put funds into something with such uncertainty that if it falls through I'm then at even more risk and hassle of getting the money back.

In this case it's not only the cruise lines, it's that specific TA. They require final payment three months earlier than the cruise line's final payment date plus I have seen posts elsewhere from people saying they have been told that their refunds will take another 90 days from the time the TA receives the refund from the cruise line (which may take 90 days).

10 hours ago, ninjacat8 said:

Have you given any thought to were they are going to get the crew from

many are still stick on ships waiting to get home

IMHO this is wishful thinking. Sorry 😪😪

I should have said I did a dummy booking to see what the terms and conditions were. I have no intention of booking any cruise for awhile. I recently cancelled a 41 night HAL cruise to South America and Antarctica next January which I paid a very large deposit which I knew was fully refundable until 4 months out. Had it not been refundable when I booked I would not have booked it. I am unlikely to see that money for months to come hence why I in the future will not be committing large sums of money many many months in advance even if it is refundable.

I am surprised that such companies are wanting full payment for cruises so far in advance after the bad publicity some TAs have got recently. The same company is advertising a Singapore to Brisbane cruise Nov 2021 with full payment required upfront. This is clearly the way some businesses do business and some lesser experienced people will book it but I suspect most will not.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

In this case it's not only the cruise lines, it's that specific TA. They require final payment three months earlier than the cruise line's final payment date plus I have seen posts elsewhere from people saying they have been told that their refunds will take another 90 days from the time the TA receives the refund from the cruise line (which may take 90 days).

You can always switch to another TA then.

But bit harder to switch to another cruise line (in terms of itinerary, dates, pricing and so on).

53 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

You can always switch to another TA then.

But bit harder to switch to another cruise line (in terms of itinerary, dates, pricing and so on).

I refused to book with that TA after reading their T&Cs. 😲

In fact after a minor tussle with another online travel booking agency to get a refund, rather than a credit note, when the hotel itself had cancelled the booking at no cost, I don't think I'll be using any TAs or booking agencies any time soon, except for one US TA who is a real gem.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

In fact after a minor tussle with another online travel booking agency to get a refund, rather than a credit note, when the hotel itself had cancelled the booking at no cost, I don't think I'll be using any TAs or booking agencies any time soon, except for one US TA who is a real gem.

I could not agree more. I will never use a TA in Oz ever again but my US TA is brilliant. He goes in to bat for me, is available all hours, gets me a OBC every cruise and to top it all off he is very polite and respectful. I tell him we need him over here, he says all my Australian clients say that.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:14 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sometimes they also want final payment 6 months before sailing. Usually when a "Sale Special" is offered, eg....$1 per person deposit.  

On 6/2/2020 at 10:05 AM, Cruisegroover said:

I should have said I did a dummy booking to see what the terms and conditions were. I have no intention of booking any cruise for awhile. I recently cancelled a 41 night HAL cruise to South America and Antarctica next January which I paid a very large deposit which I knew was fully refundable until 4 months out. Had it not been refundable when I booked I would not have booked it. I am unlikely to see that money for months to come hence why I in the future will not be committing large sums of money many many months in advance even if it is refundable.

I am surprised that such companies are wanting full payment for cruises so far in advance after the bad publicity some TAs have got recently. The same company is advertising a Singapore to Brisbane cruise Nov 2021 with full payment required upfront. This is clearly the way some businesses do business and some lesser experienced people will book it but I suspect most will not.

That is one cruise that has been on our radar for a while. We have done Antarctica scenic cruising before on Celebrity, but the itinerary on HAL is much better, spending a few more days in the Antarctic region.....maybe 2022 for us????

On 6/2/2020 at 1:30 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

We use a particular US TA as well. Much better booking conditions than booking here in Aus. Just a gamble with the US$-AUD$ conversion. We cancelled a cruise in early March and made 20% in the change over, whereas if we cancelled the same cruise now with the US$ high, we would have lost money!.

Oh my god, do you think they will default on your refund?

How much money is blocked with the cruise line?

On 6/2/2020 at 5:58 PM, MicCanberra said:

Many will need to readjust their T&Cs if they want business in the future, especially once people have used their FCCs, credits, etc.

And even more reason TAs should still need insurance.

On 6/2/2020 at 4:11 PM, jland said:

I could not agree more. I will never use a TA in Oz ever again but my US TA is brilliant. He goes in to bat for me, is available all hours, gets me a OBC every cruise and to top it all off he is very polite and respectful. I tell him we need him over here, he says all my Australian clients say that.

I have a lady similar to your description. I email her direct now to get my quotes. Always available, even straight after surgery!!!...on reduced hours of course!

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Oh my god, do you think they will default on your refund?

How much money is blocked with the cruise line?

No why would they? We are within the t&cs.  If they go bellyup maybe but there is nothing I can do about that. 

4 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

That is one cruise that has been on our radar for a while. We have done Antarctica scenic cruising before on Celebrity, but the itinerary on HAL is much better, spending a few more days in the Antarctic region.....maybe 2022 for us????

I know same with us 2022 seems so far away.

I wouldn't be booking anything at the moment that requires full payment or even a very large deposit. There will be a lot of TA's at the moment trying to do package deals and waiting it all paid up front. However, how can they confirm flights or cruises will even go ahead. Nice to know they will get paid. But the ultimate question you need to ask yourself - will you get paid back if it doesn't go ahead.

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

I wouldn't be booking anything at the moment

This needs to be said more often. I know people are champing at the bit, but at the moment those cruises that are are being advertised do not exist. Nothing on those cruise websites has any existence outside of a cruise catalog.

The ports are not available, the countries are not available, insurance is not available, the crews are scattered, the ships are laid up, and the virus is still spreading.

It's one thing to window shop, it's quite another to lay down good money.

Fiiiiinally  some sanity being spoken 

I know every one is wanting to go cruising but it’s just not going to happen 🙅‍♀️ any time soon

Save your money and think about something else for a looong time

Unless you want to book a couple of years ahead and then who knows that itinerary may no longer exist and its probably  not available at this time anyway 

🤔😫😪🚢🥂🍾

I'll be booking late 2021 / early 2022 cruises on Princess because I can use FCDs for the deposits. Essentially just rolling my options forward as/if currently booked cruises get cancelled.

Had a cruise with Celebrity booked for September this year out of the UK and final payment was next week, there was no way i was going to pay that. So i found a cruise next November out of Sydney and rang my TA and asked her if she  could  find out if we can transfer the booking this year to the one next year.After a while she rang back and she said yes we can but our original deposit of $100 would have to go up to $800, i said to her tell them i am only going to pay the original deposit, she rang back  latter and said yes that they have said that will be fine.I checked today on there website and my booking has all been changed over. So now i will just sit back and see what happens in the future.

17 minutes ago, qbay46 said:

Had a cruise with Celebrity booked for September this year out of the UK and final payment was next week, there was no way i was going to pay that. So i found a cruise next November out of Sydney and rang my TA and asked her if she  could  find out if we can transfer the booking this year to the one next year.After a while she rang back and she said yes we can but our original deposit of $100 would have to go up to $800, i said to her tell them i am only going to pay the original deposit, she rang back  latter and said yes that they have said that will be fine.I checked today on there website and my booking has all been changed over. So now i will just sit back and see what happens in the future.

Well Done.  Great advice.  No-one should be making extra large deposits to change an existing booking, at this time.  As SinbadthePorter said there are too many unknowns!

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Always book last minute.
you usually get a good deal

That’s Great for local cruises (I don’t know where you live)! , we live less than 1hr from Sydney (Australia) OPT. But if it’s further afield and or you need flights etc that usually doesn’t work, flights can be super expensive “if” you can get one