Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Yes, first check on the flight prices and then decide if the cruise is a good deal.

 

I add the cost of the cruise, service charges, return airfare and visas (if any) and then divide that by the number of nights, to arrive at my cost per day

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

People on here, keep mentioning US online agents.

I was led to believe that Aussies/Kiwis can't book with them and that you could be refused boarding, if they see that you are not from the US/Canada. Or was this just scare tactics from Aussie agents??

You would have to factor in the exchange rate to see if it was worth it.

I certainly see some great deals when I wander over their websites.

If anyone would like to share their knowledge on this and the companies that they use- I would be delighted to hear from you.

My cruise email is aussiecruiser88 at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance,

Jenny

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JJG99 said:

Hi,

People on here, keep mentioning US online agents.

I was led to believe that Aussies/Kiwis can't book with them and that you could be refused boarding, if they see that you are not from the US/Canada. Or was this just scare tactics from Aussie agents??

You would have to factor in the exchange rate to see if it was worth it.

I certainly see some great deals when I wander over their websites.

If anyone would like to share their knowledge on this and the companies that they use- I would be delighted to hear from you.

My cruise email is aussiecruiser88 at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance,

Jenny

 

Jenny.

 

Some cruise companies do not let a person without a USA address book with a USA agent. From what I understand they regulate this by not paying the agent commission for breach of their conditions.

 

Princess, HAL and some of the 5 star lines dont allow these bookings. 

 

RCL, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL and other 5 star lines do allow bookings through USA TA's. I have booked at least one cruise on each of the mass market lines mentioned with a USA TA and have two current RCL bookings through the USA. 

 

From my recent experience which is only with RCL I have found that since the AUD has dropped bellow the mid 70's cents US that almost every cruise once you factor in foreign exchange rates, port charges and tips (which are not included in the advertised USA prices) and even including the extra OBC that USA agent provide it is far more likely that the Aussie price is the better option. 

      

Edited by woodyren
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for explaining the situation.

As we mainly cruise with Princess and HAL, we will not go down that path.

We are only Emerald on RCL, so will do the comparisons and see what works best for us.

Thanks again

Link to post
Share on other sites

my excelent value US online travel agent told me that for Princess and Holland America he will have to charge me 10% more than his online price, because he won't get any commission + he will add on a $50 service fee per passenger.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drsel said:
2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:
A good US TA will provide a US address if required.
 
A few years ago we did a Med cruise booked through a US TA without any issues.

Was it princess Holland America or?

Princess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The US online agent also told me that they are allowed up to five exceptions per year.

They can book non North American passengers on princess and HAL, but the cruise fare has to be over $10,000 for a couple

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only had an issue with a US TA once as I was trying to book a Princess cruise. they wanted $100 extra as a service fee/commission. We have not used them since our dollar has dropped below $0.90 as the currency conversion has eroded any benefits.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh, remember the good old days when the aussie dollar was around 90c, it is back up to 70c at the moment.

We were in Hawaii a few years ago when it was 48c- now that hurt😱

I can remember buying a stack of US dollars when it was $1.20, now that was along time ago!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JJG99 said:

Ahhh, remember the good old days when the aussie dollar was around 90c, it is back up to 70c at the moment.

We were in Hawaii a few years ago when it was 48c- now that hurt😱

I can remember buying a stack of US dollars when it was $1.20, now that was along time ago!!!!

I have a heap  with the picture of Benjamin Franklin on them and I’m kicking my self for not cashing them in a couple of months ago when the $A was down to $US55

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, woodyren said:

 

Jenny.

 

Some cruise companies do not let a person without a USA address book with a USA agent. From what I understand they regulate this by not paying the agent commission for breach of their conditions.

 

Princess, HAL and some of the 5 star lines dont allow these bookings. 

 

RCL, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL and other 5 star lines do allow bookings through USA TA's. I have booked at least one cruise on each of the mass market lines mentioned with a USA TA and have two current RCL bookings through the USA. 

 

From my recent experience which is only with RCL I have found that since the AUD has dropped bellow the mid 70's cents US that almost every cruise once you factor in foreign exchange rates, port charges and tips (which are not included in the advertised USA prices) and even including the extra OBC that USA agent provide it is far more likely that the Aussie price is the better option. 

      

We did a HAL cruise in 2019 booked through a U.S. agent. I think they added 100u.s. per person but it was still cheaper and we received obc  as well. Our fare worked out to $4200 aud for 17days all up for 2 people. We did have to pay gratuities as well. 

 

We have done about 7  cruises with Celebrity and no problems there and 2 Hawaiian cruises with NCL.  1 Asian RCL cruise as well.

 

All of these were booked through the same U.S. agent. 

 

We have saved thousands and have never had a problem.

Edited by GCHAN
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The problem with the AUD rising at the moment is that those of us who are waiting on refunds from cruises booked in USD are going to lose money due to the exchange rate.

Depends on the cruise company, their TA and how they booked. On some recent cancelled cruises, we got dollar for dollar and some were for overseas cruises (in USD) and with currency fluctuations, we would have got more money back if they had stuck with rates at time of purchase and time of refund.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Depends on the cruise company, their TA and how they booked. On some recent cancelled cruises, we got dollar for dollar and some were for overseas cruises (in USD) and with currency fluctuations, we would have got more money back if they had stuck with rates at time of purchase and time of refund.

We had a decent rate when we paid for the cruise, and if the refund had been paid when the cruise was cancelled we'd have made a bit on the transaction but the rate is around the break even point now so if the exchange rate keeps going up we could lose a fair bit. It was a Crystal cruise so quite expensive. 🙁

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
Link to post
Share on other sites

Expensive is relative.

You must consider if it is worth paying such a high price or not.

You would not have booked it, if you felt it was overpriced.

Very few can afford these ultra luxury lines

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The problem with the AUD rising at the moment is that those of us who are waiting on refunds from cruises booked in USD are going to lose money due to the exchange rate.

 

And that's always the greatest risk of booking overseas, the customer bears that risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, drsel said:

Expensive is relative.

You must consider if it is worth paying such a high price or not.

You would not have booked it, if you felt it was overpriced.

Very few can afford these ultra luxury lines

 

 

 

Expensive can still mean a lot of money even if it is a real bargain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, drsel said:

Expensive is relative.

You must consider if it is worth paying such a high price or not.

You would not have booked it, if you felt it was overpriced.

Very few can afford these ultra luxury lines

 

 

 

Expensive isn't the same as overpriced. It was actually a really good deal as the B2B2B cruise was sold as a "grand voyage" with a considerable reduction over the individual sector prices, plus it was an itinerary most of the mass market lines rarely do.

 

Yes it was a more expensive than a similar length mass market cruise but not outrageously expensive and worth it for the itinerary which, of course, we didn't get to do. 😪 But when the exchange rate is working against you on a higher priced cruise it does mean you stand to lose more.

 

There are some excellent deals on Crystal at times so worth watching out for them. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Expensive can still mean a lot of money even if it is a real bargain.

Which it was. 

 

It wasn't unaffordably expensive, just expensive enough to wince when the exchange rate isn't working in your favour.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...