Cruise Critic Community
icat2000

El Cheapo Cruises Thread

Yes, first check on the flight prices and then decide if the cruise is a good deal.

I add the cost of the cruise, service charges, return airfare and visas (if any) and then divide that by the number of nights, to arrive at my cost per day

A good deal is if you can get a cost of under US $100 per night, including airfare, visas, cruise fare and service charges.
Yes, it's possible and I have got it many times

US online agents usually have the best deals and discounts

Hi,

People on here, keep mentioning US online agents.

I was led to believe that Aussies/Kiwis can't book with them and that you could be refused boarding, if they see that you are not from the US/Canada. Or was this just scare tactics from Aussie agents??

You would have to factor in the exchange rate to see if it was worth it.

I certainly see some great deals when I wander over their websites.

If anyone would like to share their knowledge on this and the companies that they use- I would be delighted to hear from you.

My cruise email is aussiecruiser88 at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance,

Jenny

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, JJG99 said:

Hi,

People on here, keep mentioning US online agents.

I was led to believe that Aussies/Kiwis can't book with them and that you could be refused boarding, if they see that you are not from the US/Canada. Or was this just scare tactics from Aussie agents??

You would have to factor in the exchange rate to see if it was worth it.

I certainly see some great deals when I wander over their websites.

If anyone would like to share their knowledge on this and the companies that they use- I would be delighted to hear from you.

My cruise email is aussiecruiser88 at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance,

Jenny

Jenny.

Some cruise companies do not let a person without a USA address book with a USA agent. From what I understand they regulate this by not paying the agent commission for breach of their conditions.

Princess, HAL and some of the 5 star lines dont allow these bookings. 

RCL, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL and other 5 star lines do allow bookings through USA TA's. I have booked at least one cruise on each of the mass market lines mentioned with a USA TA and have two current RCL bookings through the USA. 

From my recent experience which is only with RCL I have found that since the AUD has dropped bellow the mid 70's cents US that almost every cruise once you factor in foreign exchange rates, port charges and tips (which are not included in the advertised USA prices) and even including the extra OBC that USA agent provide it is far more likely that the Aussie price is the better option. 

Edited by woodyren

Thank you for explaining the situation.

As we mainly cruise with Princess and HAL, we will not go down that path.

We are only Emerald on RCL, so will do the comparisons and see what works best for us.

Thanks again

A good US TA will provide a US address if required.

A few years ago we did a Med cruise booked through a US TA without any issues.

Was it princess Holland America or?

my excelent value US online travel agent told me that for Princess and Holland America he will have to charge me 10% more than his online price, because he won't get any commission + he will add on a $50 service fee per passenger.

1 hour ago, drsel said:
2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Was it princess Holland America or?

Princess. 

The US online agent also told me that they are allowed up to five exceptions per year.

They can book non North American passengers on princess and HAL, but the cruise fare has to be over $10,000 for a couple

1 hour ago, drsel said:

They can book non North American passengers on princess and HAL, but the cruise fare has to be over $10,000 for a couple

Ours wasn't.

It is a whole new ball game now, so will be interesting to see what pans out.  Aussies are great travellers, so cruise lines won't want to loose that market for overseas cruises.

I have only had an issue with a US TA once as I was trying to book a Princess cruise. they wanted $100 extra as a service fee/commission. We have not used them since our dollar has dropped below $0.90 as the currency conversion has eroded any benefits.

Ahhh, remember the good old days when the aussie dollar was around 90c, it is back up to 70c at the moment.

We were in Hawaii a few years ago when it was 48c- now that hurt😱

I can remember buying a stack of US dollars when it was $1.20, now that was along time ago!!!!

The problem with the AUD rising at the moment is that those of us who are waiting on refunds from cruises booked in USD are going to lose money due to the exchange rate.

2 minutes ago, JJG99 said:

Ahhh, remember the good old days when the aussie dollar was around 90c, it is back up to 70c at the moment.

We were in Hawaii a few years ago when it was 48c- now that hurt😱

I can remember buying a stack of US dollars when it was $1.20, now that was along time ago!!!!

I have a heap  with the picture of Benjamin Franklin on them and I’m kicking my self for not cashing them in a couple of months ago when the $A was down to $US55

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, woodyren said:

Jenny.

Some cruise companies do not let a person without a USA address book with a USA agent. From what I understand they regulate this by not paying the agent commission for breach of their conditions.

Princess, HAL and some of the 5 star lines dont allow these bookings. 

RCL, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL and other 5 star lines do allow bookings through USA TA's. I have booked at least one cruise on each of the mass market lines mentioned with a USA TA and have two current RCL bookings through the USA. 

From my recent experience which is only with RCL I have found that since the AUD has dropped bellow the mid 70's cents US that almost every cruise once you factor in foreign exchange rates, port charges and tips (which are not included in the advertised USA prices) and even including the extra OBC that USA agent provide it is far more likely that the Aussie price is the better option. 

We did a HAL cruise in 2019 booked through a U.S. agent. I think they added 100u.s. per person but it was still cheaper and we received obc  as well. Our fare worked out to $4200 aud for 17days all up for 2 people. We did have to pay gratuities as well. 

We have done about 7  cruises with Celebrity and no problems there and 2 Hawaiian cruises with NCL.  1 Asian RCL cruise as well.

All of these were booked through the same U.S. agent. 

We have saved thousands and have never had a problem.

Edited by GCHAN

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The problem with the AUD rising at the moment is that those of us who are waiting on refunds from cruises booked in USD are going to lose money due to the exchange rate.

Depends on the cruise company, their TA and how they booked. On some recent cancelled cruises, we got dollar for dollar and some were for overseas cruises (in USD) and with currency fluctuations, we would have got more money back if they had stuck with rates at time of purchase and time of refund.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Depends on the cruise company, their TA and how they booked. On some recent cancelled cruises, we got dollar for dollar and some were for overseas cruises (in USD) and with currency fluctuations, we would have got more money back if they had stuck with rates at time of purchase and time of refund.

We had a decent rate when we paid for the cruise, and if the refund had been paid when the cruise was cancelled we'd have made a bit on the transaction but the rate is around the break even point now so if the exchange rate keeps going up we could lose a fair bit. It was a Crystal cruise so quite expensive. 🙁

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Expensive is relative.

You must consider if it is worth paying such a high price or not.

You would not have booked it, if you felt it was overpriced.

Very few can afford these ultra luxury lines

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

And that's always the greatest risk of booking overseas, the customer bears that risk.

10 hours ago, drsel said:

Expensive is relative.

Expensive can still mean a lot of money even if it is a real bargain.

11 hours ago, drsel said:

Expensive is relative.

Expensive isn't the same as overpriced. It was actually a really good deal as the B2B2B cruise was sold as a "grand voyage" with a considerable reduction over the individual sector prices, plus it was an itinerary most of the mass market lines rarely do.

Yes it was a more expensive than a similar length mass market cruise but not outrageously expensive and worth it for the itinerary which, of course, we didn't get to do. 😪 But when the exchange rate is working against you on a higher priced cruise it does mean you stand to lose more.

There are some excellent deals on Crystal at times so worth watching out for them. 

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Expensive can still mean a lot of money even if it is a real bargain.

Which it was. 

It wasn't unaffordably expensive, just expensive enough to wince when the exchange rate isn't working in your favour.