cancellation charge / OBC and PCC

suec12

I am getting ready to put down a deposit on a 2015 sail - what is the cancellation penalty if I cancel say, 120 days out? 20% of deposit? - I tried to find it in the brochure and it wasn't quite clear to me.

And we have done one other HAL cruise - I thought I read on the board at that time that if you booked directly with HAL / PCC you might be able to get a small "extra" - like OBC or included gratuities - is this correct? We are getting the "explore 4" promo. THANKS!

You will have no cancelation fee if done prior to final payment due date. Except for any insurance premium you have paid.

Booking thru a PCC doesn't assure you of anything a TA can't do for you. Might there be a special promtion going on at a particular time? Yes. But usually your TA can usually get you at least the same benefits, and perhaps more.

CruiserBruce speaks the truth :). We have saved thousands of dollars on some of our HAL bookings by simply using a decent online cruise agency. Agencies will usually offer "enhancements," such as On Board Credits (OBCs). that are not available from a PCC. It is relatively easy to find agencies that will give you 7-10% of the cruise fare (not including taxes and fees) as an OBC.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Agree with Hlitner and CruiserBruce that there will be no cancellation penalty from HAL if you cancel before final payment date.

But make sure, if you book with a TA, that the agency itself does not have a cancellation penalty. If it does, that might impact you if you cancel at any time.

It isn't always true that there is no penalty to cancel right up to final payment. We discovered recently that we had entered the "penalty phase" about a month before final payment for our 42-day cruise. It all depends on the length of the cruise. There is something on the HAL site somewhere which explains it all - but I can't find it. Our TA advised us, and it was discussed on our roll call. Of course if you're not going to cancel, it's moo!:D (As per Joey...)