• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

No $ discount for emerald level

I booked a balcony cabin through a travel agent. I have made final payment. When I inquired about the discount I was to receive as an emerald tier member I was told since this was not requested at the time of booking I am out of luck!!! Any thoughts on this? Can you suggest any remedies?

Nice travel agent you've got! Actually, assuming that you're in a balcony or above stateroom, you would still qualify for a discount as an emerald member, just reduced by $25.00 when 6 months or less until sailing.

I guess if your travel agent won't get it applied to your booking, you're out of luck. Did your TA give you anything towards your cruise? Dinner in a specialty restaurant? On-board credit? These extras that TA's give do cut into their commission bottom line, so definitely mention loyalty discounts right away next time.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise anyway!:)

I booked a balcony cabin through a travel agent. I have made final payment. When I inquired about the discount I was to receive as an emerald tier member I was told since this was not requested at the time of booking I am out of luck!!! Any thoughts on this? Can you suggest any remedies?

Royal will not discuss this with you, but have your travel agent call Royal back. In the future all of the the items that would qualify you for a discount, will need to be added at the time of booking . State of residence, birth date, crown and anchor number and public service.

Edited by woehwdy
add more information

that may be the TA's made up rule, but not the cruise line's. I'd be pressing it. Call crown and achor about it. They won't answer specifically about your reservation, but should let you know if you can

Think this might be another of those "it depends" areas, just made Emerald on my last cruise and had the TA call RCI to apply the Emerald benefit instead of the Platinum one (not huge but I have reservations open so it totals about $100).

RCI came back that since the Emerald did not apply when I booked they would have to reprice.

TA called back with me on a conference call and got the same answer a second time.

When I went platinum it was no big deal to add the discount to my existing reservations though ... :(

Think this might be another of those "it depends" areas, just made Emerald on my last cruise and had the TA call RCI to apply the Emerald benefit instead of the Platinum one (not huge but I have reservations open so it totals about $100).

RCI came back that since the Emerald did not apply when I booked they would have to reprice.

TA called back with me on a conference call and got the same answer a second time.

When I went platinum it was no big deal to add the discount to my existing reservations though ... :(

It's a recent policy change. Basically, they will re-price on any possible excuse they can think of.

Balcony discounts should be there at emerald but may not be cheapest option given other sales at present so thT could be why

Call up royal C&a for them to add it if available

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The OP booked through a TA and therefore C&A will not add or subtract anything from her booking without the approval of her TA.

Basically, they will re-price on any possible excuse they can think of.

That's what it sounds like. We have two reservations and I'd be hesitant to call them to even say hello.............:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

I know for a fact Royal will not talk to you if you booked with a TA. I learned my lesson last time when my TA would not fight for me to get my price drop i had to fight with her to call, pretty much beg which really ticked me off. Right then and there was my awakening. To book everything myself.

after it was all said and done she called and I got it and the realtionship ended there. So dont give up call your TA back and tell her to call royal

A TA has the right to not allow any C & A discounts or price drops if they wish.

That's when I find a different TA.

My last one would charge $50 for every price drop:rolleyes:

We were told by RCCL that they will apply a maximum of 2 discounts on a reservation. So, if there is a residency discount, public service discount, wow sale, bogoho, loyalty, etc; they will apply the best 2. Sometimes the discount for your Crown and Anchor tier isn't the best discount.

And of course they will reprice the whole thing to make changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a recent policy change. Basically, they will re-price on any possible excuse they can think of.

so true! I won't change anything anymore on a cruise without calling Royal first and make sure they won't reprice. I think it is stupid to reprice a cruise just b/c someone finally made a level and want their balcony discounts. That is just dumb. You should be able to apply a tier balcony discount whenever.

Royal will not discuss this with you, but have your travel agent call Royal back. In the future all of the the items that would qualify you for a discount, will need to be added at the time of booking . State of residence, birth date, crown and anchor number and public service.

They don't have to be submitted on the initial booking (although the C&A number should be applied right away). Service/residency/age discounts often arise after booking and can be applied when they do. And if the IT system worked, RCI would have all of that information after the first time it was applied for, but I always have to check the CA resident box.

A TA has the right to not allow any C & A discounts or price drops if they wish.

I'm not sure that's true about the C&A discount - one of the few bright lights in the new system is that Cruising Power applies the discount automatically. The only way to override it would be to call RCI, and I don't imagine that they would be all that receptive to the idea. I wouldn't dream of trying it. Price drops, yes, but that would be a short-sighted business model if ever there was one.

Yeah the re-price every chance we can trend is not something I like.

Had a chat with my TA earlier this week about booking a speculative cruise for Springbreak 2016, great rate on a suite for 8, just don't who my final 8 would be yet :)

She said it "shouldn't" be a problem to change out names closer to the date as long as at least 1 name stays the same, although she has had RCI try to do a reprice for that a couple of times and they have hinted a policy change will be forthcoming.

Why publish sale fares years in advance and then make it a pain in the ass to use them.

She said it "shouldn't" be a problem to change out names closer to the date as long as at least 1 name stays the same, although she has had RCI try to do a reprice for that a couple of times and they have hinted a policy change will be forthcoming.

Interesting! So they won't drop the price after final payment when they are having huge discounts to sell cabins but if they start the new policy when switching passengers they would reprice it.

So would we be able to switch out a passenger to get a lower price and then later on switch the original passenger back in.

We encountered this recently, we made D on our last cruise, but had already booked for 2015, the SOS Quebec to FT Lauderdale, when my TA called to get the D applied, she was told that they would have to reprice our original booking and since there were no JS available to reprice we were out of luck also, the repricing would have been based on the currant price and not our booking price. This was verified by C&A

We encountered this recently, we made D on our last cruise, but had already booked for 2015, the SOS Quebec to FT Lauderdale, when my TA called to get the D applied, she was told that they would have to reprice our original booking and since there were no JS available to reprice we were out of luck also, the repricing would have been based on the currant price and not our booking price. This was verified by C&A

I was on the phone with C & A and then resolutions on a "re-pricing" issue related to my brother in laws reservation for over an hour. Noticed that on the invoice he was given a senior discount, which he does not qualify for--but at the time there was a residency discount that should have been applied. Shame on me for not paying more attention. When I tried to get it corrected, I was told they would have to re-price it which would have been a $600 increase, or just remove the discount that did not apply, and his cruise went up $200. Further, the wouldn't apply the residency discount either without re-pricing.

Had a similar issue when I booked our Allure cruise for February 2015--we will be Diamond Plus after our November cruise on Navigator. In the past, I've never had a issue getting C & A discounts applied to an existing reservation, so I had intended to just wait until after my Navigator sailing to get the diamond + discount applied. At the time I was told if I waited, that the discount was reduced because the sailing was less than 6+, so I just had the diamond discount applied.

Under their new "re-Pricing" rules, I wouldn't have gotten it at all--unless I had the entire booking re-priced as was your experience.

So, learned a lesson - make sure your invoice is correct and have someone walk you through all the discounts. :)

If you didn't give the TA your Crown and Anchor it is easy enough for the TA to pull up your C & A number and it will move into the reservation. When the reservation is confirmed it says in RED at the top of the reservation Call Crown & Anchor for Emerald Benefits, even though the C & A balcony discount should have already been applied.

Apparently your TA does not know how to use Cruise Match on Cruising Power to make reservations. I watched step by step as my TA made our reservation for the Liberty in 2015 and upgraded us to a Royal Family Suite on another cruise at the end of this month. Within minutes we were booked on the Liberty, and re-fared on the Navigator (with no loss of balcony discount) and the confirmations were requested. The Balcony discounts were on both confirmations, but she called the C & A desk to confirm the Emerald Benefits for us anyway.

FYI on one cruise we got the BOGOHO discount as well as the C & A balcony discount and on the other cruise we got the Family Special Discount as well as the C& A Balcony discount. The C & A desk confirmed that this was OK as well as confirming that the occupancy restriction on the Royal Family Suite had been lifted.

I have found they won't piggy back a C & A Balcony discount with a C & A coupon. In that case you have to decide which is better, but most sale rates (senior, resident, kids sail free, family special and BOGOHO) are able to be combined with the C&A balcony discount as per the fare rules. Our TA pulls up the fare rules for each fare being offered. She always gets us a convertible rate (in case a better promo comes along before final payment) and a fare that can be combined with the C&A balcony discount.

Edited by DebJ14