Charging VAT on Wine packages????

Why is Royal charging VAT on wine consumed on the ship.

Went to purchase the Wine & Dine - 5 bottle package - price $165 on my upcoming Serenade cruise - Aug 27 out of Barcelona. A month or so ago the cart with the 1 5 bottle item said total of $300. They seemed to have fixed that - sort of. Now it's saying $237.50.

I called Royal and after 20 mins on the phone was told it was Italian VAT. :eek:

2014 Italian VAT is 20% not the 25% difference on the website but more importantly why would it even apply?

Aside from the once again lacking customer service from their customer service what is going on?

Has someone recently experienced additional charges on a Med cruise. If they're charging it on the wine package, will we see it on other goods and services. And where did they get the 25%?

Went to purchase the Wine & Dine - 5 bottle package - price $165 on my upcoming Serenade cruise - Aug 27 out of Barcelona. A month or so ago the cart with the 1 5 bottle item said total of $300. They seemed to have fixed that - sort of. Now it's saying $237.50.

I called Royal and after 20 mins on the phone was told it was Italian VAT. :eek:

2014 Italian VAT is 20% not the 25% difference on the website but more importantly why would it even apply?

Aside from the once again lacking customer service from their customer service what is going on?

Has someone recently experienced additional charges on a Med cruise. If they're charging it on the wine package, will we see it on other goods and services. And where did they get the 25%?

maybe it won't apply if you wait till you're at sea to buy it

Italian VAT is 22% Spanish VAT is 21% the additional 2-3% is possibly for RCI account keeping fees?

All EU cruises have VAT added to everything you buy...they even add it to specialty dinning....and bar drinks....souvenirs....

On a T/A that leaves Spain for the first 4-5 days while your still in EU waters they charge it and once its away they stop....and going to the EU its tax free at the beginning but tax starts once we reach EU waters.

I could swear I read somewhere that they decided on a flat tax of 10% across the board as food and other things have different tax...but don't quote me on that.

Also, if you're still in US waters..buying a drink/beverage before the ship leaves the port...you're charged a sales tax. Not sure if the same applies if in Canadian waters while on a Vancouver/Canada-NE cruise.

It's probably due to the fact that the country still has jurisdiction in the waters for a certain amount of yardage until the ship reaches international waters.

:D

All depends on your port of departure and ports of call. If you are departing from Italy, as posted the VAT rate is 22% on everything in terms of beverages, on board purchases, speciality restaurants and spa services. Also the on board stores will not be selling any duty free goods such as liquor or cigarettes.

If you are departing from Barcelona and not visiting any non-EU ports then Spanish VAT applies with a reduced rate of 10% being used for beverages, spa, on board purchases and speciality restaurant charges.

I suspect the 25% figure you mention is Spanish VAT plus 15% gratuity that is added to every wine & dine package.

I have just priced up a 5 bottle package for our upcoming Liberty sailing out of Barcelona and the basic price is just over £97 and when added to the cart is updated to £122, so despite the webpage stating the £97 includes 15% gratuity once in the cart it works out to me as 15% gratuity and 10% Spanish VAT. The total is similar to what I've paid on previous occasions where it works out to approximately £25 per bottle

Edited by peteukmcr
All EU cruises have VAT added to everything you buy...they even add it to specialty dinning....and bar drinks....souvenirs....

Does this apply to cruises leaving from UK (Southampton) too?

I knew about Spanish VAT with cruises not stopping outside EU (like Gibraltar or Turkey) - but I did not know about Italy. Evidently our last Oct Med cruise from Rome just luckily stopped at Kusadasi since we saw nothing added to our bills.

So how about from UK?:confused:

Yes they do change the prices on sailings out of Southampton.

In spite of visiting Gibraltar the wine packages were all increased when you added them to the shopping cart on line.

A call to customer services, well 2 actually because the first woman was useless, and mention was made about Vat. This is clearly not the case as the price increased by more than 20%.

We are travelling in a party of 19 and it's a bit embarrassing for me as I'm the one who pushed for a Royal Caribbean cruise and as a well seasoned RCI cruiser am the one sorting everything out.

Our solution was a simple one. We haven't bought any wine packages. Instead we are bringing wine onboard, fully utilising the complimentary drinks available at various venues (concierge lounge, diamond lounge) and playing RCI at their own game. As it was we were all going to order far more than we needed between us in advance.

RCI has shot themselves in the foot with us.

Either advertise the actual price or make it clear there will be charges added and say what they are / how they are calculated.

We are not cash cows to be milked.

The EU tax does only apply if you stay in EU waters as for a Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona to Italy and France.

If the cruise does go to non-EU countries the VAT will not be added like a Scandinavian cruise visiting Norway or St. Petersburg.

Our Indy cruise is going to Gibraltar .... No VAT there. We are not going to purchase any sort of drinks package but we do like to have some wine with dinner, usually half a bottle per day. I am wondering what sort of tax might be payable whilst we are in Gib? Was thinking of stocking up on a few bottles on the evening we sail, LOL.

I am on Adventure Oct 26 cruise from Southampton UK only to Spain & France. Nothing outside Eu, then. What kind of VAT am I to expect on top of drink package?

In Finland it would be 24%...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I could swear I read somewhere that they decided on a flat tax of 10% across the board as food and other things have different tax...but don't quote me on that.

I was charged $88 for my 4 night Liberty sailing from BCN at 10%.

Cruise: 4 Night Short Mediterranean Cruise

Ship Name: Liberty Of The Seas

Date of Departure: 14-May-2014

Departing From: Barcelona, Spain

Below you will find a brief description of the items you have reserved.

BEVERAGE PACKAGES

Royal Replenish Package

1 Adult Royal Replenish

Total Cost*: 88.00 USD

Online purchases on TA cruises from Spain avoid the VAT.

We had VAT on last years Liberty TA sailing only from Cadiz, Spain for 2 nights and not from the call the day prior in Lisbon. You could avoid it by pre-purchasing bottles and other items prior to Spain.