• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Breeze staff confiscates guitar without notifying us

63galaxie

On our recent Breeze cruise, my husband gave his classical guitar which was packed in not one, but two cases, to the luggage porter. We explained what it was, double checked that we had our Carnival luggage tags on the outside case as well as having our names and cell numbers and home address listed inside the case, tipped him very well and went on our way.

By 8'pm that night we filed a report with that it had not been received.

We contacted guest services again the next morning. We were told they were looking for it. We were concerned it had been left in Miami and that his instrument would warp in the heat.

We received several,calls asking if it had been found! We were told that all of the cabin stewards were looking for it and that a memo,would be given to all guests asking if it had been delivered to the wrong cabin.

After 36 long and stressful hours someone casually dropped it off in our room. They told us it had been confiscated, yet no explanation was given why, nor were we told why we weren't notified.

We included this information in our survey that came online. Carnival sent an apology.

After ten cruises and many flights, we've never had any issues until now.

Hope it never happens to anyone else.

I did read in the faq's on Carnival that instruments were subject to confiscation at the discretion of staff, but it made it sound like if it was being used and people were complaining it would be taken.

One of the reasons my daughter, who travels everywhere with her violin (and practice mute!) is leaving her baby home this time. I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Sucks that happened to you. I know the feeling of losing something and wondering when/if it's going to show up. Our big suitcase was lost on our cruise to Alaska last year and was NEVER located. Thankfully nothing in the bag was of irreplaceable value.

But I've learned that if I do need to travel with something of personal value, it stays with me at all times, never checked. And if I can't keep it in my possession at all times, then it's staying home!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry your instrument was confiscated maybe someone took your note stating the confiscation out of your cabin mailbox? Anyhow you would think the staff would have had documentation to support that.

We had a neighboring cabin bring a harmonica on a recent cruise. I must admit he played very well but it was extremely disturbing at anytime.

If you had read the cruise contract.. musical instruments are not allowed on board. They confiscated it because of that. BUT why they never knew they had or had been able to tell you that they had it is a whole other story.

:confused: I'm personally curious to know where exactly in the ticket contract you are citing that it mentions Musical Instruments as specifically not being allowed onboard.

Is it the one in the link when you are booking the cruise? Is it the one when you are filling out the online check-in? Oddly, those two are not identical.

Or is it the one linked via the carnival.com website?

Thanks for any info. :)

:confused: I'm personally curious to know where exactly in the ticket contract you are citing that it mentions Musical Instruments as specifically not being allowed onboard.

Is it the one in the link when you are booking the cruise? Is it the one when you are filling out the online check-in? Oddly, those two are not identical.

Or is it the one linked via the carnival.com website?

Thanks for any info. :)

Don, I didn't see musical instruments mentioned in the cruise contract either. But the scary part is Carnival does state they only accept $50 per bag liability, max $100 per cabin. Considering that, we should all be running around in our knickers and flip flops. You can't buy much in the way of clothes and shoes for $50. Lol.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

Carnival does state they only accept $50 per bag liability, max $100 per cabin. Considering that, we should all be running around in our knickers and flip flops. You can't buy much in the way of clothes and shoes for $50. Lol.

Another reason amongst many that cruise lines strongly urge you to get trip insurance.

My son is a musician and NO way would he ever hand over any of his instruments to a porter. Perplexed why this poster would do so??? Why weren't the instruments brought on board with them? Just the thought of them being damaged due to them being fragile, and attractive to theft, since the cases can be descriptive. Carry them on with you, always.

In your cruise contact

(d) Guest acknowledges receipt of Carnival’s applicable brochures and agrees to abide by the terms and conditions of Carnival’s brochures and web site, including but not limited to the information contained in the “Frequently Asked Questions” and “Embarkation Information” sections

Covers everything whether you read it all or not..

Don, I didn't see musical instruments mentioned in the cruise contract either. But the scary part is Carnival does state they only accept $50 per bag liability, max $100 per cabin. Considering that, we should all be running around in our knickers and flip flops. You can't buy much in the way of clothes and shoes for $50. Lol.

Ok.. it used to be that musical instruments were not allowed. But after you 2 posted this I went to the carnival page FAQ and under restricted items I found this -

• Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

So this seems like they have changed their stance to "we will take it away if there is a complaint" which makes sense. So we are back to asking why they confiscated it outright and did so without a note...

Lately I've seen a rash of these "Can I Bring" type posts.

Can I bring:

Musical instruments

Drones

Inflatable pool

Dogs

Bicycles

Just relax enjoy your cruise " as is" without the comforts/problems of home which you are cruising to get away from.