• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Help me choose type of room: Int, OV, or Bal?

Dixie24

Have only stayed in OVs for the past few years, have never stayed in an interior, and have not stayed in a balcony cabin for about 10 years. I cannot pick what kind of room I want for an upcoming cruise and I know y'all will be able to help. It will be on the Glory Eastern Caribbean, so there will be four port days and two sea days if that affects your advice.

If we are using interior as a base price, OV is $60 more per person, and balcony is $190 more per person. Please tell me your thoughts.

I'll only ever book balcony! :)

a lot of people dont, because they say they're not in their cabin enough and it'd be money wasted. thats understandable. but me/us? we're in our room about as much as we're at other parts of the ship. when we like to just get away from the noise and crowd, we go to our room, and relax on the balcony. we use our balcony a lot!

My advice is to ask yourself the all important question about what kind of a cruiser are you? Would you use the balcony? As noted above, if you think you will sit out on the balcony then get the balcony. I think the $190 pp is a good price to move up.

If you are like me and am in the room ONLY to sleep, shower and change, then do not spend for the balcony. The last 4 cruises (7 days each) we have taken I used the balcony for perhaps ONE HOUR total. Waste of money for me. I spend time on deck, or at a bar reading. If I want a quiet place, it is not hard to find quiet places on the ship.

My wife, on the other hand, probably spends 4-5 hours a day on the balcony, which is why we have been booking balconies. Happy wife, happy life. So we spend the extra because she makes use of the balcony. If she were like me, insides would be the best bet.

I'm going to be in an inside in October. Have been in both OVs and Balconies before. If you're wary of an inside, I would do an OV. I don't care for the balconies on Carnival due to the outside doors. I have had bad experiences with neighbors slamming the doors and it really did detract from my enjoyment. If they ever switch over to sliding glass doors, I will reconsider. Until then it's inside or OV for me.

It's not worth $190pp to me just for a balcony on Carnival. That is a lot of money and I sure could use that for some DODs, or put a good dent in the Cheers package. It's up to you, but I like to cruise on the cheap :D.

Wife/I only book interiors. As has been stated previously, we are only in our cabin for sleeping, showering, changing clothes. So, any other cabin is not needed. Plus, we like to be higher up in the ship so the OVs are out to us since they are on the first two decks. If we want a OV-type of room, there are a few that exist as "interiors".

Wife/I only book interiors. As has been stated previously, we are only in our cabin for sleeping, showering, changing clothes. So, any other cabin is not needed. Plus, we like to be higher up in the ship so the OVs are out to us since they are on the first two decks. If we want a OV-type of room, there are a few that exist as "interiors".[/quote]

If you are going on a Spirit class ship. The 4K cabins are "insides" with the same doors and cabin as a balcony but the view is obstructed by the lifeboats and they don't actually have a balcony. However the door opens so you get light and air at only a slight increased price of a regular interior (even less than some of the interiors)!! Best value cabins! :D

We almost always book an interior because it is the most affordable. We don't mind them at all, and we sleep so well because it is so dark.

Our one previous experience with a balcony was not the best -- couldn't really enjoy it because of so much smoke form cabins all around us.

For our upcoming Liberty cruise we are going to try a balcony again since we have several sea days. Plus, since the smoking policy changed (hallelujah :D) smoke won't be an issue this time.

I normally have a hard time justifying the extra $ for a balcony, so it depends on the deal -- the extra $190 PP would pay for a lot of DODs!

If you are going on a Spirit class ship. The 4K cabins are "insides" with the same doors and cabin as a balcony but the view is obstructed by the lifeboats and they don't actually have a balcony. However the door opens so you get light and air at only a slight increased price of a regular interior (even less than some of the interiors)!! Best value cabins! :D

OP said they were going on the Glory, which is not a Spirit Class -- it is Conquest Class. No 4Ks. But they are a great deal if you are, in fact, on a ship that offers them (Legend, Pride, Spirit, Miracle)

Enjoying a balcony is somewhat of a gamble. If you have quiet neighbors, fine. If you have an extended family or friends who like to visit next door, well that's not so fine. OV would be my choice, or even an inside. Have had all three cabin types and wouldn't turn down any of them.

Anything longer than 3 nights I need a balcony.

On my last cruise, 7 nights solo w/ an inside cabin I thought no problem. I've taken several short cruises in an inside and I was fine. I didn't realize on longer cruises I spend quite a bit of time on my balcony resting, relaxing and reading. What sent me over the edge was no natural light and fresh air. I didnt' realize how much I use my balcony as down time during the late afternoons and before dinner. I felt like I was always running up to the decks to breathe and take in fresh air. It got really old around day 3 or 4 and I wished I had of spent the extra for a balcony. Lesson learned.

So definitely as others have said exam what kind of cruiser are you.

OV's are the way to go for us unless the difference in price to a BL is minimal. We don't spend enough time out on the balcony to justify a significant price change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Get a balcony and you get all 3 choices. Close the curtains for an inside, open the curtains and look out the window for an OV, open the door and smell the fresh air and you have a balcony to sit on,:D

That is the perfect summation!

How far out are you booking? If it makes you more comfortable, get either the interior or ocean view. If the price drops to the point where you are comfortable, you can upgrade.

Keep in mind that it is easier to upgrade than downgrade. (As in, Carnival usually doesn't allow you to downgrade.)

It all depends.

Insides are great for sleeping.

They are dark and cozy, but they can also be closed in feeling.

I used to work in a windowless basement and now I work in a windowless room, so I am kind of used to it.

I like ocean view rooms.

I don't really see a drawback with them except price.

A $60 difference is too much for me.

Mzlooue's Adventure in Balconyland

I had a balcony once.

I was really excited and it was a big disappointment.

First thing on embarkation day DH caught the guy in the next cabin leaning over and peeping around the barrier between the cabins into the room.

I was changing clothes.

I was creeped out and felt absolutely no privacy.

I had thought that we would be able to leave the curtains open, you know?

Like who would there be to see into the room, yeah right...

Second, Creepy Guy had a lot of family and friends in his cabin who talked really loud, laughed, argued and banged the balcony door constantly.

A bunch of kids, loud men, angry women, yeeha.

On the first night there was something metal sounding on Creepy Guy's balcony that banged all night long.

I called the purser's desk in the morning and at first they told me that there was noting they could do about the banging metal whatever, that Creepy Guy would have to ask. We talked for a while longer, me irate and them not caring too much, but it got fixed somehow so the clang clang clang was gone at least.

It was August in the Caribbean and there was no breeze on that balcony and it was like an oven out there. We did not sit out there at all.

When I woke up at night, and with Creepy Guy and his rabid family right next door I did wake up often at night, it was nice to walk onto the balcony and look out at the sea.

I like looking at the sea.

If I could get a great deal on a balcony then I would do it just to see if it was better the second time.

But I am in no hurry.

Really, one time like that was enough.

Edited by mzloolue

for $60 I would do the OV and then watch for price drops and maybe move up.

Yes, this is what I'd do. Except when on Fantasy class, we always book a balcony. If the price seems high, you could get an OV and hope the price drops enough so you can upgrade inexpensively or maybe even for no cost. Good luck!

It all depends.

Insides are great for sleeping.

They are dark and cozy, but they can also be closed in feeling.

I used to work in a windowless basement and now I work in a windowless room, so I am kind of used to it.

I like ocean view rooms.

I don't really see a drawback with them except price.

A $60 difference is too much for me.

Mzlooue's Adventure in Balconyland

I had a balcony once.

I was really excited and it was a big disappointment.

First thing on embarkation day DH caught the guy in the next cabin leaning over and peeping around the barrier between the cabins into the room.

I was changing clothes.

I was creeped out and felt absolutely no privacy.

I had thought that we would be able to leave the curtains open, you know?

Like who would there be to see into the room, yeah right...

Second, Creepy Guy had a lot of family and friends in his cabin who talked really loud, laughed, argued and banged the balcony door constantly.

A bunch of kids, loud men, angry women, yeeha.

On the first night there was something metal sounding on Creepy Guy's balcony that banged all night long.

I called the purser's desk in the morning and at first they told me that there was noting they could do about the banging metal whatever, that Creepy Guy would have to ask. We talked for a while longer, me irate and them not caring too much, but it got fixed somehow so the clang clang clang was gone at least.

It was August in the Caribbean and there was no breeze on that balcony and it was like an oven out there. We did not sit out there at all.

When I woke up at night, and with Creepy Guy and his rabid family right next door I did wake up often at night, it was nice to walk onto the balcony and look out at the sea.

I like looking at the sea.

If I could get a great deal on a balcony then I would do it just to see if it was better the second time.

But I am in no hurry.

Really, one time like that was enough.

We've had pretty good luck. Only once did we have bad balcony neighbors, the drunks from hell. Other than that we have always had a good balcony experience.

The loud neighbor is the main drawback about getting a balcony. These balconies aren't really that private, with partitions that don't go all the way to the floor or ceiling, so sometimes it feels as if your neighbor is sitting right there with you. And if you get the neighbors from hell who love to talk loud, use the F word constantly, yell at other people on their balconies, incessantly slam their balcony door, and chain smoke, you're out of luck (just described our neighbors on the Dream :mad: ) Thankfully, the smoking is being taken care of in October by Carnival. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We love our balconies. In the mornings we love walking out onto it and watch the sun rise. During the day when the outer decks gets too loud and crowded we retreat to our balcony with a glass or two of iced tea or lemonade, a plate of cookies or fresh fruit and read our Kindled. In the evening when getting ready for dinner we enjoy a glass of wine and watch the sun set. After dinner and/or a late show we relax on it before retiring for night. Yes, it's dark and we can't see anything but we love hearing the waves lap against the side of the ship.

Then on port days if we are lucky enough to be on the Port side we watch people coming and going. If there is another ship park next to us we get to yell back and forth talking about where we're we from, were we're going, etc.

As you can see we do get use out of the extra money we spend on a balcony.

Edited by lady_cruiser

We have stayed in a variety of room types.

Balcony: This was our first cruise, and we were excited for the upgrade we got from OV to Balcony. I used the balcony a little bit, but my wife wasn't so keen on the short railing and the narrow balcony (especially in the area of the chairs) so she wouldn't use it. It was nice to have the opportunity to be able to go sit outside on the balcony in the morning and enjoy it. But....we haven't booked a balcony since.

Oceanview: Nice, lets the light in during the day, wakes you up naturally in the morning. You can look out and see if you're in port.

Interior: Its dark all the time, so you can sleep in later and not realize it's morning (which has its pros and cons). Good if you just use the cabin for sleeping, showering, changing, etc., and don't plan to spend a lot of time there.

Porthole: Essentially an oceanview for the price of an interior. You can get the natural light in the room, but the porthole windows are somewhat small. Plus, I was thinking we could get some "porthole-framed" style pictures, but the portholes are too water-marked to get good pictures.

Next up on Carnival, cabin that has a window looking out on the secret deck.

OV for me. The balcony has to be a steal before I will book one. They are nice, but we don't spend a lot of time in the cabin. There are too many things to do/see in other parts of the ship. We do like having a window though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

A good point of the OV..although lower..you are right on the water. I have not been in a Carnival OV for a whole cruise but have loved sitting in a porthole window ledge in pretty rough seas in a cabin about like Carnival's Fantasy class as a solo with the two beds in an L on the Costa Riviera..LOL...Orange walls blue and purple bedspreads and one tiny bathroom..unlike Carnival..

On Carnival you usually have 220 feet on classes above Fantasy class in a true ocean view...I would love the extra room.

I loved the wild ocean in that window seat..had a rough sailing and can not do roller coasters..but that I simply loved...a peak experience being quietly tucked inside but right against the water like that...in just the right kind of rough seas...up and down..lights on the water even in night..and less motion than higher up. Now there will be absolutely no smoking too. In any cabin..for me a plus. Some cabins have floor vents and I got my neighbors smoke badly on that Costa cruise as our entry doors were on an L on the Costa Riviera.

Rarely that configuration on Carnival plus...the no smoking..again for me a plus. You should have that OV choice more as the non-smokers had to choose those for an outside if sensitive before.

My pick at first..OV if affordable and on budget..unless you are going to live on your balcony, however an inside is not "bad" and quite enjoyable as a cocoon to rest...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

After several balcony cabins - aft facing, L-shaped, Neptune suite (HAL), minisuite (Princess)- we've decided that we just don't use the balcony more than a few times on a cruise.

I'll do IS for short cruises, DH won't so we usually book OV or 4K depending on the ship.

Our next several Carnival cruises are in a 4K and an OV.

Our next several Princess cruises we are in an OV and a window suite. Window suites have no balconies. Princess' cabins are PUNY and awkward for 3, hence we go up to a mini or suite. The window suites are almost the same price as a mini and include ALL the suite perks.

Edited by SadieN

Wife/I only book interiors. As has been stated previously, we are only in our cabin for sleeping, showering, changing clothes. So, any other cabin is not needed. Plus, we like to be higher up in the ship so the OVs are out to us since they are on the first two decks. If we want a OV-type of room, there are a few that exist as "interiors".

A few of the ships like the Valor have Scenic ocean view rooms which are on the Lido deck under the bridge.