Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

From what I have read, it seems the steam & sauna facilities on Princess vary considerably from ship to ship. I believe I read in the Princess forum that the Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess do have steam & sauna facilities which are located in each of the men's & women's locker rooms.

I've never sailed with Princess, but I have the same understanding you have: that several of their saunas (while designated as separate for men & women) actually open onto pool decks, so are really co-ed. Posts described women casually entering what was labeled the "men's sauna" since it was right off the pool deck and finding it quite "naughty" & amusing to do so. Somehow I don't think a man doing the same thing in the women's sauna would be thought of as amusing.

Anyway, I would proceed with caution with considering a Princess ship if spa facilities are an important aspect for you (as they are for many).

As to your comment about the Norwegian Jewel, from what I've gathered it would seem this ship does possess the best non-coed facilities at sea; even worth paying a charge to access them. The Norwegian Pearl has similar facilities, so I'd guess the Pearl is a close second.

As for spa facilities that are free-of-charge, I am partial to the Royal Caribbean Voyager-class & Freedom-class ships. As I've described earlier, they are spacious and relatively few passengers even know they exist.

Bon voyage,

Gigglewolf-Of-The-Seas

:p

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info , already booked for april 19, panama to fla. for 8 night. Any other sugestion:rolleyes: Thank you for the quick reply though. It looks to be a pretty interesting cruise .

I'm on the same cruise and really looking forward to spending some time relaxing in the steam or sauna with some good company. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere. :cool:

I'm on the same cruise and really looking forward to spending some time relaxing in the steam or sauna with some good company. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere. :cool:

More the merrier, have you signed up for the meet and mingle ?, I know , ill miss the sauna. Do you know if there are showers, I usally shower there to free up the bathroom for the otherhalf, and after my cardio.

I was on Liberty of the Seas. On other cruise ships, I did not go to the gym because equipment was never available. On this ship, despite a lot of people using the gym, there was always one or two pieces of equipment available.

The view from the gym was unbelievable. On the days at seas, it was awesome working out and looking at the ocean ahead of us.

I did not use any of the other features as I was there just to work out.

The gym facilities, specifically types & quantity of fitness machines, are quite extensive on RCI's Voyager-class and Freedom-class ships. I also never had to wait for equipment and thought the views of the ocean were amazing, too.

It will be interesting to see how RCI arranges the fitness & spa facilities on its Oasis-class ships, as this area appears to be on lower decks when compared to their earlier vessels. Not sure if the ocean views from the treadmills will still be available and that would be a shame.

Cheers!

Gigglewolf-Of-The-Seas

• 1 month later...

Hi Gigglewolf:

Hopefully this won't be too lengthy, I just found your thread and enjoyed reading it. I, too, love the spa-time on my cruises. :)

With one Carnival exception years ago, and one Princess cruise last month, all of my cruises have been on =X=, most all of their ships.

Constellation, Millenium, Summit and Infinity have a large Thallossotherapy pool and lounge area which is co-ed and suits are mandatory; however, the men's and women's private areas are fairly large IMHO and ideal. For example, the men's locker room has three large showers with glass doors. There is a large dry sauna with an upper and lower bench (L-shaped) which holds maybe 11 or 12 men, but I've never seen it that full. ;);)What's great about the sauna is a large window which overlooks the ocean. Men can sit in almost complete privacy and watch the waves, or whatever is going on 12 decks below. The men's sauna is in the locker room and I would say 85% of the men enjoy this European style (w/out Swimsuits), just a towell or two. This is not fee-based. This area can become busy at times, but well worth a visit!

There is an additional shower area right next to the sauna, which is visible from the sauna. A large glass partition separates this area. The shower heads are waterfall, I think and jets, but great if things are heating up too quickly in the sauna, and you need a "cool plunge" before coming back to enjoy the heat and company.

There are 3 stalls (toilets), I believe, maybe 4. The lockers are average size I guess, with one or two wood benches to sit down and rest if you wish. There is ample room to get ready in, 2 or 3 sinks with blow dryers, shaving equipment, lotions, etc.

There is an additional area called, "Persian Gardens". This is fee-based. I want to say the fee is about $150 pp for a 14-night cruise. This is co-ed. While many men and women visit this "American Style" (with suits), I have seen some wear only a towell, but of course being discreet or modest. In the Persian Garden, there is a large steam room, with several cold water hoses and maybe 6 or 7 alcoves with tiled benches. Very dark, with mood-lighting and music. The dry sauna (called the Sahara) is a huge tiled u-shapped lounge which is quite comfortable and can accommodate about 15 guests. There is a cold-water hose or two in this room. There are two showers (rain forest shower, aromatic shower, mist shower, etc.) and a more intimate aromatherapy steam sauna, which holds only 2. There is usually a large ice machine in the Persian Garden for "plunging" or ice-packing sore muscles, a water fountain and a large tile-bench quiet area. The tiled bench has warm water flowing through it to keep you warm. IMHO this is well worth the price! While I enjoy the men's locker room sauna / showers daily, still enjoy the serenity of the Persian Garden.

The setup I describe above is on the Millennium-class ships.

The Mercury ship is a bit different. The men's locker room is smaller, but nicely equipped. There is a small dry sauna in the men's locker room (holds maybe 5 men) and is also European-style. Adjacent to the co-ed Thallossotherapy pool is a co-ed steam room. I used only a towell once, but a suit the other times. Of course I would be respectful to other guests who were not as Euro-minded, or more conservative.

On my Princess cruise last month, I sailed on the Pacific Princess, which is the smaller (former Renaissance R3) ship...a very beautiful ship, which they say is like a "Charming English Inn". I'm not sure about that, but the ship is nice.

The men's locker room was very nice, but small. One stall, about 20 lockers and 2 showers, but were nice showers. There was a steam room as well. Interestingly, the steam room had a u-shapped bench, and it seemed rather cheap to me. Another words, it wasn't a solid tile bench, but looked more aluminum and one would need to rest their back against the (ouch!) back wall.

There were 670 passengers (and staff of course), but it was seldom used. The times I used the steam room, there was only one other passenger (Euro-style) with me, so it was very quiet and very inactive. I witnessed on 2 other occassions another man going in, American style. This area is not as social as on Celebrity's.

There is a separate "Spa Deck" on this ship, which is co-ed and not clothing optional. The smaller Thallossotherapy is on this deck as well. This private spa deck is fee-based, so not many used it. The mens locker room is not fee-based. Truthfully, I wonder if many men or women knew it even existed?

Gigglewolf, if you would like any more "details" or specifics, I'm happy to provide. ;) Simply reply to me, or send me an e-mail: lookagain02@yahoo.com

Happy sailing!

I love to use the sauna/steam room facilities on the ships, by god we can put the world to rights. Most of the ships I have been on have had men only facilities which i much prefer.

Sailing on the Oceana in January next year Panama Canal and just hope they have the facilities on the ship.

Was on the Azamara Quest in March they have have small gym and in the mens changing rooms, a steam room which will seat about a dozen guys but most I saw in there was half a dozen and on occasions just two or three.

Nothing better than a good work out in the gym and then a fantastic sauna, steam to follow when at sea.

Its also great to pass comments on here also

each time the wife and i have made our cruises a health and spa

vacation..taking advantage of the gym, class s and the spa..most

recently on NCL s Star..

it took some discipline..but, we were able to eat pretty much what

we desired in measured proportion s..even despite a bout with a stomach

virus..we achieved our fitness goal s for the cruise, yet have a great time doing it..

the ship s have all the facilities you could want..it s just a matter of discipline and taking advantage of what they have to offer..

on the Star..the spa was $20 ppp day..steam, sauna, pool, jacuzzi

resting area..then there were the spa packages that included a variety

of beauty treaments..the gym offered free as well a cost exercise

class s that the ladies spend alot of time in..the gym s alot of resistance

training weights and machines..as well as arobic walker s and step climbers..

the only cost was in the spa. with each treatment and program at varying prices..

Thanks for the link Seadawg. I'm looking forward to trying the Solstice, hopefully next year. Wow, 2-story spa? It sounds like the Aqua Spa Class staterooms are the way to go for those who hang out in the spa area.

Deepnite10, the Azmara and Pacific Princess are the same ships...with ths small steam room and outdoor private sun deck. I thought Oceana was the the same ship? Formerly a Renessaince ship? Hopefully they'll have the same set up as we had on Pacific Princess and Azmara.

I haven't sailed on the Solstice, but from what research I've read, it appears there is only a small sauna in the men's changing room, along with showers.

Co-ed steam facilities are available in the Persian Garden.

If anyone else has first-hand info to share, that would be great. Otherwise, I hope waldorf will be able to provide more details.

Cheers!

;)

The Solstice mens spa area has a small locker room with 4 stools,

a small sauna and good size steam room. There are 4 shower

cubicles with frosted glass doors between the sauna and steam room. Its not a large spa area but is more than adequate. It was well used when

I sailed on the Solstice. Make sure you reserve the Solstice alternative

restaurants online in advance. They were all excellent and I was also able

to nab a reservation in Blu even though I was not a Aqua Class

guest. Any questions let me know. I have lots of pictures.

Some are posted on bradleywalters.smugmug.com

I could also email you pics of the spa area as I have some of those.

Thanks for sharing some info on the men's locker room.

I was surprised to see that you described a steam room in the men's locker room. I had read in other posts that the only steam area was in the co-ed Persian Garden and that the locker room only contained a sauna.

If you have pics of the spa area to share, please do!

Thanks again,

Gigglewolf

;)

The Solstice mens spa area has a small locker room with 4 stools,

a small sauna and good size steam room. There are 4 shower

cubicles with frosted glass doors between the sauna and steam room. Its not a large spa area but is more than adequate. It was well used when

I sailed on the Solstice. Make sure you reserve the Solstice alternative

restaurants online in advance. They were all excellent and I was also able

to nab a reservation in Blu even though I was not a Aqua Class

guest. Any questions let me know. I have lots of pictures.

Some are posted on bradleywalters.smugmug.com

I could also email you pics of the spa area as I have some of those.

Hi Bradleytallone:

Thx for letting us know. I was surprised to hear of the steam too. Have a friend who works for Celebrity and they way they described it, it only had showers and a dry sauna. Have seen pics of the locker and shower area, but not the steam or sauna. Could you e-mail me too? Thank you!

By the way, we really enjoyed your pictures on smugmug! You've done an excellent job of putting some beatuiful pictures together.

lookagain02@yahoo.com

Happy Sailing-

Edited by Mermen

Hi Mermen,

I sent you off the pictures as requested.

I admit now after I am reading a few of the forums on line

that possibly I am incorrect and there is just a sauna and

no steam in the Solstice mens spa area.

I should remember as I used the spa daily but have been on a few cruises since then so could be getting mixed up.

The one picture that I sent you does look like the entrance to

the steam room but it is probably the entrance to one of the showers.

I apologize for this error.

Bradley

Hey, thanks for the nice pictures in your e-mail. Enjoyed them. It's interesting that the ship is larger than the M-class, yet the locker room seems smaller with less lockers and there is no big window overlooking the sea...:(

The showers look nice too. I'm 6'7" hope I don't hit my head in there, it looks small, lol. Saw an amazing deal today on the =X= site today. A 15-day transatlantic originates in Rome, the AQ and CC rates are excellent, October 2010 on the new Equinox. Think it's time to try this new line. :)

Your webiste and pics are exellent bradleytallone. Thank you for sharing it. When's your next cruise? ;)

Just curious if any of you have sailed, specifically, on the CROWN PRINCESS and are familiar with the spa amenities on this ship (ie. steam, sauna, showers, etc) ? It appears from the deck plan that they are contained within the respective men's & women's changing rooms, but I'm curious about capacity and perhaps how busy they were when you traveled. I realize she is the sister-ship to the Emerald & Ruby Princess, but the lines have been known to "tweek" ship layouts from one sister-ship to another.

I've reserved the 11/28 Western Caribbean itinerary and it'll be my first time on Princess!! A bit uncertain as to the average age of my fellow passengers (I've heard Princess tends to attract an older crowd). However, the Caribbean itineraries tend to attract a more diverse age range, so it shouldn't be a problem. The price was too good to pass-up!!

Keep the posts (with detailed descriptions) coming, guys!!

Cheers!!

Gigglewolf-Of-The-Seas

• 1 month later...

Just sailed on Celebrity Equinox and the sauna in the spa area seems large enough. Good showers also.

Here are two photos of the spa area showing the sauna and wash room area of the Mens changing Rooms

1878951590_CelebrityEquinoxJuly2009011.jpg.68c4d43bbaa307b7025da43f7bfe62ed.jpg

998569123_CelebrityEquinoxJuly2009012.jpg.d20c570a58d3b281e6f4a810a0674350.jpg

When cruising I make extensive use of the Spa and Gym facilities. I am not loyal to any cruise line and will usually lean toward cruise ships offering better Spa/Gym facilities. I also prefer gender segregated spas.

The following is a list of the SPA facilities from some of the major cruise lines. I went to each cruise lines web site and looked at the deck plans for the gym/spa layout. Some deck plans are more detailed than others.

The list is based solely on my interpretation /observation of the deck plans as of July 31 2009.

Princess

Caribbean - separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Coral - two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Crown -separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Dawn- one Sauna (appears to be co-ed)

Diamond -separate men’s & women’s steam and sauna

Emerald -separate men’s & women’s steam and sauna

Golden - two Saunas one Steam room not listed if they are gender specific

Grand -two Saunas one Steam room not listed if they are gender specific

Island two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Ruby -separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Sapphire separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Sea -one Sauna (appears to be co-ed)

Sun - one Sauna (appears to be co-ed)

Star -separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Holland America

Amsterdam-two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Eurodam -one sauna ( appears to be co-ed)

Maasadam -Can’t tell by deck plans

Nieuw Amsterdam -one sauna ( appears to be co-ed)

Noordam-Can’t tell by deck plans

Oosterdam-Can’t tell by deck plans

Princendam -separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Rotterdam-two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Ryndam-Can’t tell by deck plans

Statendam-Can’t tell by deck plans

Veendam-Can’t tell by deck plans

Volendam-two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Westerdam -Can’t tell by deck plans

Zaandam-two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Zuiderdam-Can’t tell by deck plan

Norwegian

Dawn-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Gem-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Jade-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Jewel-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Majesty-One sauna Appears to be co-ed

Pearl- separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Sky -Steam & Sauna -Not listed as to gender

Spirit-Can’t tell by deck plan

Star-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Sun- Sauna & Steam rooms not listed as to gender

Pride of America- Can’t tell by deck plan

Royal Caribbean

Very simple deck plans- Can’t tell

Carnival

Holiday class-

Holiday-Can’t tell by deck plan

Fantasy class-

Fantasy-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Ecstasy-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Sensation-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Fascination-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Imagination-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Inspiration-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Elation-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Paradise-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Destiny class-

Destiny-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Triumph class

Triumph-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Victory-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Splendor class

Splendor- separate saunas - co-ed thermal suite

Spirit class

Spirit-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Pride-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Legend-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Miracle-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New to cruising and am alternating between booking on RCL Splendour of The Seas (14 Nov ex Venice) or Navigator of the Seas (09 Nov ex Malaga). Does Splendour have a male only steam room or sauna? It seems that Navigator does. This aussie will be travelling alone and am not sure if a cruise is the right thing for a single man to do - any advice?

Thanks guys.