Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Next month I'll be on the Infinity for a 16-night Panama. I'm familiar with the spa facilities on =X= and looking forward to it - enjoy their exercise and cardio equipment too.

Nothing better than waking up early and heading to the sauna to wake up...;)

I'd read in another thread that the spa facilities (ie. steam room & sauna) that had originally been installed on the Monarch of the Seas back in '91 were removed when she was refurbished a few years back.

IMHO...RCI ruined the spa facilities aboard the Sovereign-class ships when they performed these refurbishments. "Spa-ing" is a big component of my cruise relaxation process.

For nice spa facilities on an RCI short cruise, consider the Navigator of the Seas. I HIGHLY recommend the spa on this ship ;) and... the men's & women's steam/sauna facilities are (currently) separate!

Heck...I just mine join ya, lol!

Cheers!

Gigglewolf O'the Seas

:p

When cruising I make extensive use of the Spa and Gym facilities. I am not loyal to any cruise line and will usually lean toward cruise ships offering better Spa/Gym facilities. I also prefer gender segregated spas.

The following is a list of the SPA facilities from some of the major cruise lines. I went to each cruise lines web site and looked at the deck plans for the gym/spa layout. Some deck plans are more detailed than others.

The list is based solely on my interpretation /observation of the deck plans as of July 31 2009.

Princess

Coral - two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

I cruised the Coral about 20 months ago and there was a tiny sauna in the tiny men's dressing room.

• 2 weeks later...

GigglewolfOfTheSeas

I have sailed on the Crown Princess and you will love this ship. There is a large dressing room with a sink and toilet off to the right. You walk from the dressing room into the shower area with 4 showers that face each other. To the right is the large steam room and to the left is the large sauna. I have also sailed the Emerald and it is the same. They were always active but never too crowded.

The Grand Princess is a total different story. Horrible set up as you enter the male sauna and steam from an outside pool area. A lady accidently entered the male staem room much to her surprise.

You will find all ages on Princess and because you are traveling after Thanksgiving I don't think there will be many children

We are sailing on a back to back on the Ruby next March for a total of 20 days which will be the longest cruise I have ever taken. This Sept we will cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii on the Pacific Princess. I have never been on a small vessel so I am curious as to what it will be like.

Aldo;)

Great review, Aldo Ray! Thanks very much for the detailed description. You've confirmed all that I was able to piece together with regard to these facilities on the Crown, Emerald & Ruby (since they're all "sister" ships).

I'm very much looking forward to my cruise and relaxing as often as possible at the spa. With two days @ sea, Cozumel (which I don't even bother disembarking-for), plus the afternoons returning to the vessel, I'll be a "spa happy"!!

Thanks again for the detailed description and please enjoy your back-to-back cruise on the Ruby next year!!

Bon voyage,

Gigglewolf

;)

I did a back to back on the Jewel a while back and their Spa is well worth the surcharge. It had several showers, one in the middle of the room with glass walls. There was a steam, sauna, small cold plunge pool and whirlpool all in the men's room. There were 4 or 5 nice lounge chairs with sweeping ocean views. Ice water and fruit was available.

I sail on the Pacific Princess Sept 18th and am curious as to what the mens set up is. I have never sailed such a small ship and will be glad to find out what kind of an experience it will be.

If anyone has sailed one of Princess's small ships tell me what the spa set up is like.

Thanks

Great detail on the NCL Jewel. Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of the NCL overall-product; HOWEVER, these spas on the Jewel & Pearl may just entice me to try these ships.

I'm hoping RCI's Oasis of the Seas may have a similar set-up, since they're so keen on turning every little nook & cranny into a revenue stream, lol. Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to have nice spa amenities as on the Jewel (non-coed, of course).

As for the Pacific Princess, you might try posting an inquiry in the Princess Cruises chat room to improve your chances of having someone who has actually sailed this ship to provide a detailed account of its spa facilities. The Princess chat gets many more views than our little posting here, so you may have better luck in securing the information you seek. ;)

If anyone has detailed information on the spa facilities of a ship not previously mentioned in this thread, please feel free to post your observations.

Bon voyage,

Gigglewolf-Of-The-Seas

:p

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, WorkOutatSea.

I haven't sailed on the Oosterdam, but just wanted to offer that the Zuiderdam is from the same ship-class (Vista-class), so as sister-ships the facilities should be almost identical.

If anyone who's sailed on the Zuiderdam is familiar with the men's spa facilities, it should afford you a good idea of what to expect on the Oosterdam.

Bon voyage,

Gigglewolf-Of-The-Seas

;)

The Jewel is the best, I went on it again recently and it is still incredible. There is a sauna, steamroom, jacuzzi, rainshowers and a cold plunge. It is remarkable. The only thing is you have to by a spa pass to use them. But it is soooo worth it.

I just went on carnival valor and the mens locker room had large long narrow sauna and steam rooms with glass door entrances looking through to glass walls over looking sea. They had vinyl chairs in locker room which was great to relax (rcl navigator only has hard bench for changing) I would have liked the windows by the relaxing chairs because I can't stay in the heat too long. Sounds like the jewel has the perfect set up along with cold plunge and hot tub in locker room so you don't have to lug around cold wet swim suit.

My question is what other ships have relaxing loungers in mens locker room and is there a view? I'm looking at an NCL Star cruise the deck plan looks like window front loungers but wet swim suit required for cold plunge in coed pool. (is there a charge the same as jewel?)

Hi. I'm going on the Oosterdam out of San Diego in December. Anybody familiar with the men's facilities onboard. Want to know if there is a sauna or spa separate from women's facilities. What's the workout equipment like? Any info would be great. Thanks!!

I was on oostersam 7/09 and paid around $12 a day for thalassotharapy pool ( which is nice but relaxing loungers need outdoor windows) and for very comfy heated tile loungers in other room overlooking ocean. Both reqired cold wet swim suites. The mens locker room was beutiful with showers and ocean view but only hard bench for changing and no sauna there. the small 3 person mens sauna was on other side of ship in small interior room off the hall leading to spa desk. It was so odd and uninviting I never went and I never saw anyone else there either. If sauna was put in locker room with some relaxing chairs it would have been very nice. I will avoid this ship from now on.

Edited by chongkwang

Thanks for sharing your insights on the Oosterdam.

I wish I had info to share on the set-up on the Norwegian Star, but I'm afraid I don't. I believe only the Norwegian Jewel & Pearl (and possibly the Gem) have the larger relaxing areas contained within a men-only section, with access to the forward co-ed area via a door. Since the Star is an older vessel in their fleet, I'd wager it does not have the lounger facing a window, as you would like (still just a guess).

As mentioned earlier, the Millenium-class ships in the Celebrity Cruises fleet do have saunas in the locker rooms with a huge, floor-to-ceiling porthole overlooking the ocean; perhaps the most relaxing I've experienced while sailing (no steam room in the locker room, though).

Bon voyage,

Gigglewolf-Of-The-Seas

;)