Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

27 minutes ago, spaBme said:

Thanks, Repositioner, but OntarioBiMe above says the Gem has a single-man jacuzzi in the men's area. Do you know if that's the free area, or the paid area?

Jacuzzi is in the fee paying spa. Gem has a free steam room in the mens gym changing room. No free sauna or jacuzzi.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone considered whether small enclosed spaces in a cruise ship such as the sauna and steamroom will be considered unsafe and closed for a period of time when cruises resume?

Edited by ouse456

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 8:29 PM, ouse456 said:

Has anyone considered whether small enclosed spaces in a cruise ship such as the sauna and steamroom will be considered unsafe and closed for a period of time when cruises resume?

I hope not.  That's one of the reasons I cruise.  I enjoy my time in there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 3:07 PM, Repositioner said:

Well, just to be clear; none of the four (NCL Jewel, Gem, Jade, Pearl) has a mens community whirlpool.  The Pearl once did, but it was removed.  That having been said, the elaborate facilities on these ships remain the best of their kind.  NCL's regrettable practice of charging $20 - $30 a day for thermal passes discourages many passengers from ever using them.  

I'm a bit late but I was on the Jade in February 2019 and it had a large whirlpool in the thermal suite. You can also see it on the deckplans. I'll be on the Jade again in April 2021 and hope it's not removed by then. If the cruise lines are cutting costs, I can't see that maintenance being a priority. 

I got hooked on the thermal suite on the Jade and now get it every time I cruise. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 8:29 PM, ouse456 said:

Has anyone considered whether small enclosed spaces in a cruise ship such as the sauna and steam room will be considered unsafe and closed for a period of time when cruises resume?

My gym has opened where we live, and the information they sent to members is that for now, the pool, whirlpool, sauna, and even the showers will not be available. In this gym, the showers are individual stalls, so I really don't know why they are not letting gym-goers use them. I mean, presumably the toilet stalls are available for use, and those are less closed-off than the shower stalls!

• Thanks 1

I suppose  there is a chance that by the time cruises start up that your gym, and maybe the cruise ships, will be less restrictive than we fear they will be. Fingers crossed that a post-loosening-up resurgence of the virus will not be as pervasive as predicted (by some). I have a transAtlantic cruise scheduled for November. I'm holding off buying airplane tickets until it is more clear how viable air and cruise travel will be or whether the countries on the itinerary will even allow ships to dock. 

Edited by ouse456

Hi retiring later this year ( bad timing?!) and was looking  forward to a first cruise and making the most of the men’s spas steam and saunas ..I hope they will still be functional when the industry is back up and running? Any recommendations for a first time solo cruise?

2 hours ago, Wilkinson1 said:

Royal Caribbean's Independence of the seas, Explorer of the seas, Adventure of the seas and Marnier of the seas all have an excellent free steam room and sauna inside the men's locker room off the gym.  At least that was the case pre Covid. 

3 hours ago, willcan said:

Royal Caribbean's Independence of the seas, Explorer of the seas, Adventure of the seas and Marnier of the seas all have an excellent free steam room and sauna inside the men's locker room off the gym.  At least that was the case pre Covid. 

Thank you 

On 5/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, natefish95 said:

I'm a bit late but I was on the Jade in February 2019 and it had a large whirlpool in the thermal suite. You can also see it on the deckplans. I'll be on the Jade again in April 2021 and hope it's not removed by then. If the cruise lines are cutting costs, I can't see that maintenance being a priority. 

I got hooked on the thermal suite on the Jade and now get it every time I cruise. 

Which itinerary on the Jade in April? That transatlantic one caught my eye. --Mark

On 5/24/2020 at 6:32 PM, natefish95 said:

Very interesting...always love a nice plunge in the hottub, especially if I don't have to wear a bathing suit.  😉

On the Jade class ships, are the thermal suites gender-specific or co-ed?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruise Stud said:

Very interesting...always love a nice plunge in the hottub, especially if I don't have to wear a bathing suit.  😉

On the Jade class ships, are the thermal suites gender-specific or co-ed?

On the Jewel and Jade there is a central co-ed area with heated loungers and a thalassotherapy pool. In the men's thermal area there is a jacuzzi, cold plunge tub, steam room, sauna, rainfall showers, and comfortable chairs to relax and read a book in (plus the obvious normal showers, lockers, bathroom, etc.)

On the Pearl and the Gem there is a larger central co-ed area with a thalassotherapy pool, jacuzzi, and rainfall showers. On the mens side there is a steam room, sauna, comfortable chairs, single person jacuzzi and a cold plunge (plus the normal bathroom, showers, lockers, etc.)

There are some really good tours on YouTube. I've done the thermal suite on the Gem, Pearl, and Jade and really enjoyed it each time, but the Jade is definitely my favorite. 

31 minutes ago, johnld47 said:

Does anyone know if the Celebrity Edge has a free sauna in the men's changing room adjacent to the gym area and if there are showers in this changing room?

I was just on the edge in January. No they do not have any free steam or sauna in the men's locker room. It is pretty sad and boring. Even the paid area doesn't have much to offer, AND it's all coed. 😔

6 minutes ago, johnld47 said:

Thanks for the update and it is sad to not have the sauna.  Are there showers in the changing room to use since the ones in the room are more confining?

Actually the showers in the Edge room are pretty generous, relatively speaking.

I believe in the locker room, there may be one small shower.  The whole spa/gym setup is pretty disappointing, IMO.

• 1 month later...

Am possibly looking at a cruise on the Azamara Pursuit, does anyone know if there is a men only steam/sauna?

I have been on the Quest and there is a steam/sauna there.

I have been on many cruise ships but only book a ship which has separate men only sauna/steam. Had made many good uses of them and its just nice to chill, relax, put the world together with other guys without any women nagging us etc

Pursuit is exactly the same as Quest and Journey so has a steam room in the Men’s locker room.

It used to be P and O’s Adonia.

Whether or not it will be able to be used is another question. Booked on Quest next August and hoping things will be back to normal by then. 
Hope it’s open for you on Pursuit.

The original Azamara ships ("R-Class") had a great complimentary men's steam (no sauna).  With so many refits, I can't tell you what the PURSUIT will offer now, in terms of Men's Sauna/Steam, but I think it is very optimistic that you would consider this a deal-breaker anytime before mid-2022.  Would love to hear about your experience and that it is a good -- and safe -- one.