Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

3 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Have you done Alaska in September before. I have only been in July. Thoughts on temps? 

Did Alaska in Sept 2017 was one of the last ships of the season. It was not too cold and had some very clear days to view the glaciers.  Also no bugs !! There was a fair bit of rain but sporadic. 

Weather can be iffy in September. We were there twice last year - once in August and once in September. Be prepared for cold and rain and bring clothes you can layer. Probably in the 50s but in the 40s near the glaciers. But it can surprise you and be nice. Alaska is stunningly beautiful! We live close to Seatle, so it's just a couple of hour drive to the cruise port there. 

On 3/30/2022 at 2:15 PM, Djb4CC said:

Just got off a 10 day on the Eurodam and while it is just the small sauna, it was totally dead, never saw a single person.  And unless the stewards were being extra vigilant, I only ever saw one or two missing towels from the stack

I think that many guests are unaware that this free sauna exists.  I patronize the Hydrotherapy Pool and Thermal Suite and it has been my experience that the Stewards are very vigilant in keeping the towels supplied there.  I imagine that the same personnel are also supposed to keep an eye on the free sauna as well.  

That lack of knowledge of the free saunas on Holland America ships comes from their promotion of ONLY the fee based Thermal Suite packages. We all learn by word of mouth and CruiseCritic. Because the lockers are located away from the saunas, I'll often use the changing room/showers and mention in conversation about the available saunas. By the end of the cruise, several new faces. The reaction always is "Damn, wish I'd known 5 days ago...".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are the sauna experiences better/friendlier guys on RCL or Carnival?  I know the cruise experience between the 2 is vastly different but I only have a few days to take a cruise and those are my only two options. 

I'm glad to hear that RCL has reopened their areas. The Mariner is my only RCL option.

On 3/27/2022 at 7:02 PM, twodjs said:

The sauna on the K-class ships is definitely the best design Holland America has. We're back again on K-dam this Thanksgiving in Mexico. An easy 7 day out of San Diego.

Just booked that Thanksgiving cruise for myself.  Looking forward to some great sauna views, both inside and out the window!!   :-)

See you there!

Edited by iramack
sp

Iramack, checking some of your other posts, looks like you're on Ovation in July. I just finished a Panama Canal cruise on Ovation in February. Love Seabourn! They have a small to medium  sized sauna in the locker area and a couple of nice showers as well. Enjoy that cruise too! See you in November.

Howard

Yes Howard I am sailing on Seabourn in July.

I have been on the smaller ones (1 time each) and enjoyed the facilities on those as well.

It's one of the main reasons I cruise.  I just really enjoy my "Spa Time"

Steve

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Repositioner said:

Is "K class" the same as "Pinnacle class"?  With respect to sauna facilities, is the Rotterdam a good choice?  Thx.

There is no K class on HAL. Pinnacle Vlass ships in my opinion have the best saunas as they have a large window and are single sex.

1 hour ago, Repositioner said:

Is "K class" the same as "Pinnacle class"?  With respect to sauna facilities, is the Rotterdam a good choice?  Thx.

Alexdw beat me to it. Yes, I mistyped before. Both Koningsdam and Rotterdam are Pinnacle Class ships. It would be a great chice (their newest ship) with a similar sauna setup.

20 hours ago, twodjs said:

Alexdw beat me to it. Yes, I mistyped before. Both Koningsdam and Rotterdam are Pinnacle Class ships. It would be a great chice (their newest ship) with a similar sauna setup.

And, the Hydrotherapy Pool on the Pinnacle Class ships was slightly designed from the other ships.  The change was definitely positive and they made the Thermal Suite larger with more heated ceramic  beds.  

On 3/26/2022 at 10:02 PM, Edhug55 said:

...Has anyone been on HAL Noordam lately? There used to be a very cozy (tiny) sauna but I don’t see it in the database and it’s difficult to tell from the deck plans whether it’s still there....

I will be there on the 24th this month. As others mentioned earlier I expect it to be the same as on the other ships. Will verify and add details to DB at some point.

Cruise Ship Steam/Sauna Database

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering a cruise on the Grand Princess. Does anybody have some first-hand knowledge on how the Grand's sauna and steamrooms are laid out?

When I look at the Grand Princess deck plans, the sauna/steamroom seem to be a strange design, not very private, and appear to open out directly to a public deck...certainly not conducive to enjoying them "European Style"

Anyone else on the Viking Sea May 13th out of Venice? Pretty port intensive cruise but all Viking ships have a nice free spa area that even includes a snow room. The men's and women's locker/shower areas each have a decent sized sauna and cold plunge. It's a cruise line worth considering.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 4:10 AM, windstar said:

I am considering a cruise on the Grand Princess. Does anybody have some first-hand knowledge on how the Grand's sauna and steamrooms are laid out?

When I look at the Grand Princess deck plans, the sauna/steamroom seem to be a strange design, not very private, and appear to open out directly to a public deck...certainly not conducive to enjoying them "European Style"

I was on the Grand Princess a long time ago but yes I do recall that it just opens right out to the outside deck, so you’ll have to wear a bathing suit. 

5A11773D-A638-42DE-891D-126E4C30DC3C.png.6cf055b73846a7963e01c9cf89edb4b2.png9072BDC1-0981-4635-AC71-0BB5B132468C.png.2a14479f9b9bac722ac7b43880473ff2.png

Bummer about the Grand Princess. That setup wouldn't work for me. BTW, just pulled the plug on our Viking cruise out of Venice. So looking forward to it, but just had two friends on different ships test positive and are quarantined in hotels. Not a fun way to spend a very expensive vacation. Pushed ours all the way to mid-September 2023. Stay safe everyone! 

On 4/21/2022 at 1:53 PM, twodjs said:

Anyone else on the Viking Sea May 13th out of Venice? Pretty port intensive cruise but all Viking ships have a nice free spa area that even includes a snow room. The men's and women's locker/shower areas each have a decent sized sauna and cold plunge. It's a cruise line worth considering.

I was on Viking in the Caribbean a few years back and YES the spa facilities are top notch.  Men's area had Sauna, Plunge Pool, two Showers and plenty of lockers!  Even had one of those swimsuit spinner/ringer machines so you can walk back to your suite in fairly dry trunks!!

Good Product.