Cruise Critic Community
JHTX01

Don't wear Camouflage clothing in Caribbean

...Did you know this...

A number of Caribbean countries, such as Barbados, Jamaica, St. Vincent, Grenada, Dominica, and St. Lucia, ban the wearing of camouflage by non-members of their military. So unless you want to be fined, or jailed - leave those camo shirts, shorts, wallets, and purses at home.

The wearing of any form of camouflage clothing is illegal in Barbados. Do not dress in, or carry, items made of or containing camouflage material.

Use of camouflage bags or clothing is illegal in Saint Lucia unless you're military personnel.

It is illegal to wear any form of camouflage clothing in St. Vincent & The Grenadines.

Grenada police said they have adopted a "zero policy stance" regarding the wearing of camouflage clothing in public and are warning both visitors and locals to desist from doing so.

The Jamaican Parliament has passed a law banning all camouflage clothing, except for uniforms worn by the police. The police don't want civilians to be mistaken for police officers.

In other words - if you're going to the Caribbean - leave the camo clothes at home !!!

Wow! Really? I had no idea....source?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Experience from being in many Caribbean cruises. They will also typically tell you, and post in their daily activity papers regarding bo camo clothing.

That is so interesting, but I have never seen anything stated about this in their cruise daily activities paper.

It's totally true! Barbados especially ... even a warning in the Princess Patter.

In St. Kitts we saw a teen refused entry wearing his camo hat.

LuLu

That is so interesting, but I have never seen anything stated about this in their cruise daily activities paper.

I did, two different cruise lines.

Please know it's NOT a joke! Some Caribbean port stops take anyone of any age wearing camouflage clothing VERY seriously.

LuLu

Found this on a Q&A website:

"The islands of the Caribbean no longer allow any camo clothing of any kind. It is illegal and you can be imprisoned if you are found wearing these articles of clothing. Caribbean police wear camo and by wearing it, it looks as if you are impersonating an offical. So unfortunately, you'll have to leave it home when you travel there."

Found this on a Q&A website:

"The islands of the Caribbean no longer allow any camo clothing of any kind. It is illegal and you can be imprisoned if you are found wearing these articles of clothing. Caribbean police wear camo and by wearing it, it looks as if you are impersonating an offical. So unfortunately, you'll have to leave it home when you travel there."

Thanks for posting this! It's Totally True ... not a joke ....

I had read this in some form of rules and regulations for Belize before our last cruise there, and mentioned it to a couple who wear their hunting camo alot. They brought them, but their cabins steward told them the same thing, and they changed.

Personally dont think that people who wear camo will be reading the CC section of Fashion, but I do feel that this information should be "more out there" for people to read.

Just wanted to check in. I wear camo and was able to read this just fine ; )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I read cruise critic and post daily, I didnt know this until my wife told me she just saw it on Faceb00k. CRAZY. I always wear a pair once per cruise. I dont even remember when I wore them. I know i wont be wearing them at any Ports of my Next Cruise.

5 years back I was on a Caribbean Airlines flight from Miami to Piarco Airport in Trinidad. Had my camo pants on and Trini lady sitting next to me on the flight warned me I might be given a hard time on arrival. Sure enough, I was pulled aside by immigration, send to a room and forced to change my clothing. Bottom line, simply not tolerated there.

Worldspan

135 cruises strong (and taking no more)

Well, that's interesting given many SOF & SWAT guys now wear all black or OD. Are they going to ban these two colors too?

Thanks for posting this.

I have never heard this before and it is interesting.

I make it a point to never wear camo anything.:D

On one cruise to Cozumel I was asked if I was military. I was wearing a camo t-shirt that had several hands holding up fingers and the caption said, "I am this many ",showing my age. I thought that it was funny that they believed a 55 year old fat boy was in the military. Maybe they thought that I was a General.:eek:

I have seen passengers wearing camo being told they couldn't leave the ship. It might have been in Grenada.

A taxi driver in St.Maarten told me he could get me an assault rifle if I wanted one.

I told him that they sell them in Walmart back in the US :rolleyes:

Edited by Winchester Ranger

In Barbados we completely forgot and as we got to security the ship officer said, sorry you will have to remove those. I died on the spot as my husband literally took them off right there!

He had underwear on, pulled out his swim shorts and put them on

We got n the shuttle bus to the terminal and a guy got on with a camouflage hat!