New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Experts:

Regarding the Vegetarian Menu for the Main Dining Room... it looks very interesting and somewhat better than the vegetarian offerings on the regular MDR menu, does one need to request/reserve items off this Veg Menu in advance? I saw the great menus posted in another post, :);)

draftxhorselover, Can you please refer me to that post? I would like to see those too.

How about in the buffet? Are vegetarian options at least labeled as such?

Internet is very expensive but if you need it for business, as we do, you'll pay the price. There is always some place at every port where they have free wifi. Usually in the terminal or in a nearby hotel or Starbucks or McDonalds. On ship 169.95 for 500 minutes. We were gone for 3 months and had to buy 3 times. There is usually a discount when you buy the first day of the segment you are on.

Experts:

Regarding the Vegetarian Menu for the Main Dining Room... it looks very interesting and somewhat better than the vegetarian offerings on the regular MDR menu, does one need to request/reserve items off this Veg Menu in advance? I saw the great menus posted in another post, :);)

If you want to order off the nightly vegetarian special, you can order that night. However, if you want to have something from the more extensive vegetarian menu you are better off placing that order the night before (you don't have to pre-plan and order before you board the ship).

I suggest you look at the next night's menu as you are finishing dinner. See what is offered as the special, and what is on the extensive menu, then make your choice and order right then and there. That way the galley is all set to go for you.

If a guy is on a long cruise and can't find a haircut place in port, I assume he can get a haircut on the ship. Any ideas how much? Thanks

yes you can get your hair cut on the ship. Prices (in our experience) for a man seem to range from $22-$35. Tip is automatically added too.

I have posted in the past that DH was happy with his trims, but last time, he was butchered. He had it fixed in Malaga. There are always barbers in ports. DH usually goes there when we are there and he even remembered him ;)

If a guy is on a long cruise and can't find a haircut place in port, I assume he can get a haircut on the ship. Any ideas how much? Thanks

I love finding a barber in foreign ports and have done so all over the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brimmer, how do you find them? Just keep your eyes open as you walk around or ask a taxi driver or?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

NOt btimmer, but we found them walking around. The one DH likes in Malaga is just around the corner and down a block from our favourite square. So, I get to do my live thread, sip wine and eat tapas and he gets his hair cut. :)

Brimmer, how do you find them? Just keep your eyes open as you walk around or ask a taxi driver or?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mostly I just keep my eyes open for the Universal barber pole. I've also been known to ask locals for directions.

I'm not terribly picky about haircuts as the difference between a good and a bad haircut is about 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big HINT when in another country always use UBER instead of taxi's. Also try to get Travel Pass on your phone for $10.00 a day you can call anywhere. UBER is reliable and you know what car you are waiting for by the license number and you pay by credit card with no tipping. We were horribly scammed at the airport in Hong Kong by a cab driver who threatened us and charged $240.00 for a ride to the Ritz Carlton. We reported it to the Ritz Carlton and they took measures to have the police take a report in our room within 5 minutes of arrival and then the last day of our 4 day stay had detectives come and ask us if we wanted to be at the trial of the person who scammed us. We said no! Take a photo of the license plate of every cab you get into. That's how the police traced the scammer. Another person was scammed for 8,000.00 and threatened with his life. USE ONLY UBER!

draftxhorselover, Can you please refer me to that post? I would like to see those too.

How about in the buffet? Are vegetarian options at least labeled as such?

This is what I found and its relatively recent...

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/lido-restaurant-and-manhattan-dining-room-mdr/

Follow the link for the Vegetarian MDR menu.. its 3 pages long and lists things which are NOT on the other posted MDR menus, (e.g. Quinoa and Cashew Nut Salad, Vegetable Spring roll, Asian Crispy Noodle Salad, Mushroom Crostini, Roasted Butternut Soup, Black Bean Burger with Mango Salsa, Tofu Vegie Stir Fry, Broccoli Mushroom Quiche, Tempeh Veggie Kebob.. etc.

Here is the room service Breakfast card... someone asked about it...

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Room-Service-Breakfast.pdf

The breakfast cards on this website will be updated within the next two weeks with the latest versions that I have just obtained while onboard the Noordam..

This is what I found and its relatively recent...

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/lido-restaurant-and-manhattan-dining-room-mdr/

Follow the link for the Vegetarian MDR menu.. its 3 pages long and lists things which are NOT on the other posted MDR menus, (e.g. Quinoa and Cashew Nut Salad, Vegetable Spring roll, Asian Crispy Noodle Salad, Mushroom Crostini, Roasted Butternut Soup, Black Bean Burger with Mango Salsa, Tofu Vegie Stir Fry, Broccoli Mushroom Quiche, Tempeh Veggie Kebob.. etc.

Thank you.

NOt btimmer, but we found them walking around. The one DH likes in Malaga is just around the corner and down a block from our favourite square. So, I get to do my live thread, sip wine and eat tapas and he gets his hair cut. :)

Sounds like you get the better deal ;)

Internet is very expensive but if you need it for business, as we do, you'll pay the price. There is always some place at every port where they have free wifi. Usually in the terminal or in a nearby hotel or Starbucks or McDonalds. On ship 169.95 for 500 minutes. We were gone for 3 months and had to buy 3 times. There is usually a discount when you buy the first day of the segment you are on.

Thanks or the info. We will try to use wifi off the ship if it is so costly. 😍

Final payment question

We're going to make a final payment in a week or so. Should I give my requests to my TA to forward to Holland? Things like emptying the thE fridge (or whatever it is), etc.

The refrigerator will be emptied by your cabin steward when you ask him when you board the ship. I'm wondering what you are going to put in the refrigerator that it needs to be emptied. There is food available 24 hours on the ship and usually plenty of space for medicines.

Final payment question

We're going to make a final payment in a week or so. Should I give my requests to my TA to forward to Holland? Things like emptying the thE fridge (or whatever it is), etc.

The only request I make of my TA or my dining choices and bed configuration (together or apart).

Aside from the fridge, (which will be taken care of on board - you just need to ask) what other items do you have?

The refrigerator will be emptied by your cabin steward when you ask him when you board the ship. I'm wondering what you are going to put in the refrigerator that it needs to be emptied. There is food available 24 hours on the ship and usually plenty of space for medicines.

Fridge will be emptied by stewards indeed. Emptying the fridge is something that some people choose to do so that they are not inadvertently charged for mini bar purchases or so they have room to cool water, wine, their own choice of soft drinks, etc.

If you want to order off the nightly vegetarian special, you can order that night. However, if you want to have something from the more extensive vegetarian menu you are better off placing that order the night before (you don't have to pre-plan and order before you board the ship).

I suggest you look at the next night's menu as you are finishing dinner. See what is offered as the special, and what is on the extensive menu, then make your choice and order right then and there. That way the galley is all set to go for you.

great advice Ruth! Thanks;)

This will be my first HAL cruise. I have cruised many times with Carnival. I was wondering if there is an email address to check the price of your cruise to see if there is a reduction in price.

Thank you!