New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Were these Caribbean cruises out of Florida?

Some have been Caribbean out of FLL. Others out of FLL on TA's, Europe and San Diego. All the experiences have been the same.

Yes, the tipping comes out of that.

remember it's just a hold, not a charge so if you don't spend that, it doesn't get charged.

The HSC (tipping) is per person. If you are in a inside, ocean view, lanai or verandah it is $13.50 per day. If you are in a Suite (Pretty much anything that ends with the word suite), it is $15 per day.

Thank you!

I can only remember one port a number of years ago where HAL did not change the time to match port times. They did countless reminders and warnings about it. I don't recall the reason for it at that time.

Since then, every cruise I have been on with HAL, they have always had the ship time to match the time in ports.

That's been our experience, anyways ;)

We did a Southern Caribbean on the Koningsdam last fall. I'm pretty sure that the time changed during that trip.

Save

We did a Southern Caribbean on the Koningsdam last fall. I'm pretty sure that the time changed during that trip.

Save

I'm nor sure if I'm not clear or I am not understanding your post?

Are you saying that HAL didn't change the time to match the port? Or just that the time changed (which is pretty standard when they are matching the port time) ?

I'm nor sure if I'm not clear or I am not understanding your post?

Are you saying that HAL didn't change the time to match the port? Or just that the time changed (which is pretty standard when they are matching the port time) ?

The ship's time changed to coincide with the port.

On a Caribbean cruise this March, the ship had just one Central Time port, sandwiched between Eastern Time ports. The ship stayed on Eastern Time during the entire cruise. And yes, there were many announcements.

:confused: uh, oh. I want to book dive tours in Cozumel and Roatan that are both on CST. I can't wait for the ship's announcements to make my plans.

Which port was the Central Time port where the ship stayed on Eastern Time? Was Florida on daylight savings time or Standard Time when you sailed?

I'd call HAL, but I have no confidence that they'd give me correct information.

Can not find any reference on multiple threads I have read, so could some comment on Nieuw Amsterdam balcony. Have booked VA 5107 and 5105 with connecting interior access. Do the balcony dividers open to provide access between the 2 cabins outside?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can not find any reference on multiple threads I have read, so could some comment on Nieuw Amsterdam balcony. Have booked VA 5107 and 5105 with connecting interior access. Do the balcony dividers open to provide access between the 2 cabins outside?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, ask your room steward to open it. It is not a full opening, more like a small door, enough for you to go back and forth.

Do HAL have unlimited drinks packages

HAL does have drink packages but they are limited to 15 drinks per day per person to the best of my knowledge. I think that suffices for most ;)

HAL does have drink packages but they are limited to 15 drinks per day per person to the best of my knowledge. I think that suffices for most ;)
Perhaps but it's amazing the anger that this 15 drink limit causes on the Carnival board . :D

Am I correct in assuming this limit is for drinks with alcohol and that non-alcoholic drinks are unlimited .

Perhaps but it's amazing the anger that this 15 drink limit causes on the Carnival board . :D

Am I correct in assuming this limit is for drinks with alcohol and that non-alcoholic drinks are unlimited .

I believe the packages available for non alcoholic drinks are unlimited.

You can use the package of 15 drinks for alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks though. ;)

I am by no means an expert on this.

I believe the packages available for non alcoholic drinks are unlimited.

You can use the package of 15 drinks for alcoholic or non alcoholic drinks though. ;)

I am by no means an expert on this.

Wow I went to HAL's site and saw this "Includes any beverage priced at $8.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day)" so that's 15 TOTAL ! Boy both the $8 limit and the drink limit, would that be a non-starter for many .

Having enjoyed the Celebrity drink package , I believe I got to 15 or so on multiple days. About ten were non-alcoholic drinks .

Wow I went to HAL's site and saw this "Includes any beverage priced at $8.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day)" so that's 15 TOTAL ! Boy both the $8 limit and the drink limit, would that be a non-starter for many .

Having enjoyed the Celebrity drink package , I believe I got to 15 or so on multiple days. About ten were non-alcoholic drinks .

The HAL website may be a little slow on the maximum drink price of $8. It was raised to $9 a few months ago.

are there coffee cards for specialty coffees? Where would I get good coffee on the Maasdam? We are very picky coffee drinkers. Thanks.

Explorations Cafe will probably be your best bet for specialty coffees and/or decent coffee.

I'm not aware of a coffee card, per se. There are beverage cards which you can use for coffee purchases (or other beverages) as well as the Quench package - but that is pretty pricey if you are only dealing with a few coffees.

If you log into your booking on the HAL website and check out beverages and beverage packages you will be able to determine if either of those is of value to you.

The HAL website may be a little slow on the maximum drink price of $8. It was raised to $9 a few months ago.

So the most recent drink menus posted online, are now incorrect?

Have they raised drink prices yet?

Edited by cruisePack842
clarity

Figure I'd come back to report on when we finally got our guaranteed cabin assignment . We got our cabin on the 5th, for our cruise on the 15th thus 10 days before our cruise this Saturday . Others on our roll-call got theirs on the 6th and 7th .

I booked direct with HAL and got an E-Mail at 6 PM with the header " Booking Confirmation for XXX party, Booking #XXXX" . So booking direct may get you informed a little earlier .

BTW We received the highest level of our category which on the Veendam is not a big difference but still nice . :) I greatly appreciate all the great info given out on this thread . I hope this helps those freaked that they still haven't gotten their cabin with their cruise date rapidly approaching .

So the most recent drink menus posted online, are now incorrect?

Have they raised drink prices yet?

I have not verified the drink prices online but here is a link to all of the current beverage menus from June 2017:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus/

Regarding time zones on ship. Just returned 2 months ago from the half world cruise and I can't begin to tell you how many different time zones we went through. We were on the QM2 on that trip and although the ports were good the service on the QM2 was not what we had hoped for. We did love the cruise from Hong Kong to Yokohama and Yokohama to Hong Kong on HAL, wonderful food and service!!