Jump to content

New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"


Host Walt
 Share

Recommended Posts

We did 3 TA on Celebrity. During the crossing, for lunch at the Lido, they chose a country and featured the food of that country. It was always really good.

This October, we are going on the Nieuw Statendam for the TA. 

Do you know if HAL has something similar during their TA?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TheChiefNL said:

On the Nieuw Statendam, are there computers u can use just only for backup you camera pictures? My idea is to take

my external hard drive and contact it to a PC to backup the movies and photos....

There will be computers aboard for Guest use. They are for internet access only. You will not have access to the ports needed to transfer pictures from your camera to the external hard drive.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks..... Thought so... 

16 minutes ago, richwmn said:

There will be computers aboard for Guest use. They are for internet access only. You will not have access to the ports needed to transfer pictures from your camera to the external hard drive.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TheChiefNL said:

On the Nieuw Statendam, are there computers u can use just only for backup you camera pictures? My idea is to take

my external hard drive and contact it to a PC to backup the movies and photos....

Have you checked into taking any of the Windows10 classes on board? After the classes I took on our Greece cruise, she let us so some work on our own pictures. Maybe you could do that. Just an idea. The classes are very informative also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ljgordon54 said:

Have you checked into taking any of the Windows10 classes on board? After the classes I took on our Greece cruise, she let us so some work on our own pictures. Maybe you could do that. Just an idea. The classes are very informative also.

Yes, i will see whats classes they hae on my sea day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, mrebro said:

What about the casino? Do you use your credit card or can you use cash? Just not sure how that works.....I read that most everything is just charged to your onboard account....

 

I do not know how it works with cash or credit but, for example, if you want to play in the Blackjack tournament you go to the cashier and put the cost on your ship card and they give you the chips.  If you are playing the slots you create a player account on the machine and charge your purchases to your ship card.  You then just insert your ship card into any machine and transfer however much you want to that machine.

Edited by *Miss G*
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, mrebro said:

What about the casino? Do you use your credit card or can you use cash? Just not sure how that works.....I read that most everything is just charged to your onboard account....

 

10 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

 

I do not know how it works with cash or credit but, for example, if you want to play in the Blackjack tournament you go to the cashier and put the cost on your ship card and they give you the chips.  If you are playing the slots you create a player account on the machine and charge your purchases to your ship card.  You then just insert your ship card into any machine and transfer however much you want to that machine.

On table games (other than tournaments) you can place cash on the table along with your Cabin Card and they will issue chips for your use. You can also specify an amount to go toward your on board account if you wish. I don't think you can use a credit card, even at the cashiers cage, but I might be wrong there. I have never seen a Credit Card used at a table.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I have seen a list of which specific dock in each port a ship was going to but can’t seem to find it now. I’m on Westerdam right now and we are headed to Skagway. I wanted to see which dock we are going to be at. Any help

appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Bengalfang said:

I know I have seen a list of which specific dock in each port a ship was going to but can’t seem to find it now. I’m on Westerdam right now and we are headed to Skagway. I wanted to see which dock we are going to be at. Any help

appreciated.

Here’s the schedule for Skagway.  I usually just google ”(port name) cruise schedule.”

 

https://www.skagway.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/convention_amp_visitors_bureau/page/33137/2019_cruiseship_schedule_8.5x27.5.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

Here’s the schedule for Skagway.  I usually just google ”(port name) cruise schedule.”

 

https://www.skagway.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/convention_amp_visitors_bureau/page/33137/2019_cruiseship_schedule_8.5x27.5.pdf

Thanks for the schedule, it’s handy to see how many ships are in port at the same time. Are the timings for arrival/departure correct (not sailing till May next year?) as one port, it showswe don’t arrive till 13.00hrs,  and need to know re trips being organised 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

When you book a cruise you get an itinerary which has the arrival/departure times on it. Those times are normally accurate.

Thanks, will check the itinerary and see if it’s different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Bengalfang said:

I’m disembarking in 2 days at Seward and renting a car to go in land myself. Anyone know if I’m allowed to grab a few pastries to go? Or is there a customs that makes you declare that and takes it away?

No taking food off the ship in most ports and Seward is one of them.

 

Very strict rules.  Don’t risk it.  Buy a pastry on land 😉 

 

Edited to say you can take certain things off that are already sealed like crackers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bengalfang said:

Thanks. How about an unopened bottle of wine that we carried on from Vancouver?

 

Oh no problem to take liquor, water, pop or wine off the ship as long as it is unopened. 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ljgordon54 said:

 

It will depend on your rooms. Ours did on one side, but not on the other. Look at the deck plan and you can tell.

We  will be on the Amsterdam. I looked at the deck plans our TA sent us and on HAL's site and could not see a difference in any of the balcony pictures on deck 6. How can you tell?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cruises42 said:

We  will be on the Amsterdam. I looked at the deck plans our TA sent us and on HAL's site and could not see a difference in any of the balcony pictures on deck 6. How can you tell?

 

I'd like to know that too.   I pretty much study the deck plans and I've never seen anything to differentiate in all my HAL cruises.  So I want to know what I am missing!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Princess Cruises - Medallion Masters!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...