Cruise Critic Community
Host Walt

New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

If you also go to the Ryndam "Roll Call" page there lots posts about it there. 

Hal and Kazu  thank you so much your responses have helped immensely. I will be booking in the morning.
I have my NCL TA in April that is also going to Le Harve and have Normandy lined up on that one, this one, I know it’s long, but I’ll go to Paris
Be careful, the NCL boss said that the company may go bankrupt.
If that happens I don't think they will refund the amount paid

17 hours ago, drsel said:

It's not just NCL that is in serious trouble . Which company is least likely to go bankrupt may be the question. The brands may survive after chapter 20 but not the FCC's .

On 6/20/2020 at 1:49 PM, drsel said:

I don't recall the boss ever saying that. 

He did at the beginning of May. You can google it. The headlines are easy to find. Shortly after he also said that the company had raised enough money to keep them going for another year.

We seriously intend to take the TA on the Ryndam in October 2021 and want to visit Amsterdam. We were on the  New Statendam TA last October and really enjoyed it. But I am not ready to put a deposit with all the uncertainties facing the cruise companies and will not cruise if there is no vaccins available or if I have to wear a mask on a cruise ship. I follow the guidelines of my province and wear a mask in public always but will not cruise if I have to do so on a ship.

With so many HAL ships being sold, do you think the reduced capacity will push up the prices of future cruises on HAL.?

Or will the reduced demand compensate for lower capacity?

4 hours ago, drsel said:

With so many HAL ships being sold, do you think the reduced capacity will push up the prices of future cruises on HAL.?

Or will the reduced demand compensate for lower capacity?

Are you looking for a crystal ball?  I don’t have one.

My best guess is that based on the restaurants here and my hair dresser that are at lower capacity is that the prices will go up.  

Perhaps not right away to lure people on but shortly thereafter, if the ships are at lower capacity that is what they are going to have to do IMO or make sure they have people on board who spend 😉 

I would think that the greater burden of helping to prevent the spread COVID-19 that it will only increase prices. They are still going to have to reduce capacity on the remaining ships to accommodate any possible outbreaks. And if the US adopts the same criteria as the EU they will also have to cover the costs of quarantining passengers who have possibly been exposed once they have been put ashore. 
I believe that all of theses factors will certainly drive prices up, but by how much is anyone’s guess. 
As Kazoo said, maybe not at first, but definitely in the near future.