New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

are you going on a smart casual night or a formal night?

Whichever it is the dress code for that night will suffice.

Smart Casual - nice shirt and pants, even jeans if nice.

Formal - blazer or suit and tie or tux.

If I missed your question just post back with your concerns.

Now, you will see people in the PG with jackets on a smart casual night - but not everyone does and it's not required.

I checked with the cruise line and the night that I booked is most likely Formal Night (On a 7 day cruise I was told that night 2 and night 6 are most often formal nights) Should I switch to Canaletto that night so the people in my party won't have to dress up? We have "As you Wish" dining, I just want to make sure my group is together for dinner to celebrate a birthday that day. Will the guests in my party have to dress up at all the restaurants on that night no matter where we eat as it is Formal Night? TIA

I checked with the cruise line and the night that I booked is most likely Formal Night (On a 7 day cruise I was told that night 2 and night 6 are most often formal nights) Should I switch to Canaletto that night so the people in my party won't have to dress up? We have "As you Wish" dining, I just want to make sure my group is together for dinner to celebrate a birthday that day. Will the guests in my party have to dress up at all the restaurants on that night no matter where we eat as it is Formal Night? TIA

I suspect you have the "open seating" aspect of As You Wish Dining - as that is HAL's term to cover all of the different dining options on board. The Lido at dinner is always casual dress, Canaletto is usually just a bit dressier, but not much. That would probably be a good choice.

If I booked excursions through the HAL website can I switch it to a different one if I change my mind? If so would I get charged a penalty or some kind of "transfer fee"? Should I make a change once I'm on ship or do it before hand?

If you book an excursion on line and change your mind, you can just go in and cancel it and then book the one you want. Your credit card will be refunded for the one you cancelled and charged for the new one.

There is no penalty or transfer fee as long as you do it before the close off which is currently three days before your cruise. Make your changes on line as if you wait until you are onboard and want to cancel an excursion, there is a 10% penalty even if you do it on day one.

If you book an excursion on line and change your mind, you can just go in and cancel it and then book the one you want. Your credit card will be refunded for the one you cancelled and charged for the new one.

There is no penalty or transfer fee as long as you do it before the close off which is currently three days before your cruise. Make your changes on line as if you wait until you are onboard and want to cancel an excursion, there is a 10% penalty even if you do it on day one.

Thanks so much for the explanation, it's just what I needed know!

Yeah I don't think so, don't like leaving anything unattended. Guess I'll have to take my chances after I get my food. Either that, or use room service all the time. Seems to be an unnecessary complication, but it is what is I guess.

I just wish I would have found this board BEFORE I booked this cruise, as the more I learn about HAL's way of doing things, the more I'm getting a bad feeling about this. :(

Carnival does this also. You can set a book and a glass down and mention to a nearby staff member or another cruiser you're coming back. I'd leave a book and my mug, didn't say anything to anyone and never had an issue.

I was reading the thread "Royal increases gratuities..."

I also wish they'd at least show them somewhere in the price quote. I remember seeing a post here where a new cruiser scrimped to surprise his DW with a cruise and only realized he was being dinged several hundred more when he went to check-in online.

On my invoice, I have the following line: "Est'd Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses" it lists a cost of $219 a passenger. Will that pay for the HSC as well?

On my invoice, I have the following line: "Est'd Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses" it lists a cost of $219 a passenger. Will that pay for the HSC as well?

No, that is just the port taxes basically. The HSC is in addition to that and your cruise cost. It is charged daily to your on board account on the ship.

The amount you quoted does not include the Hotel Service Charge. That amount (either $11.50 or $12 per person, per day, depending on cabin category) is quoted somewhere in the HAL website, but I can't remember where.

Estimated taxes, fees, and port expenses are something else, and can be adjusted up or down before the cruise ends. I had a small ($29) credit on my recent cruise due to just such an adjustment.

No, that is just the port taxes basically. The HSC is in addition to that and your cruise cost. It is charged daily to your on board account on the ship.

The amount you quoted does not include the Hotel Service Charge. That amount (either $11.50 or $12 per person, per day, depending on cabin category) is quoted somewhere in the HAL website, but I can't remember where.

Estimated taxes, fees, and port expenses are something else, and can be adjusted up or down before the cruise ends. I had a small ($29) credit on my recent cruise due to just such an adjustment.

Thank you both!!

The staterooms will be ready at 11:30 with very little exceptions (fruit, flowers, ice, etc). In any case, you can drop your carry-on bags and go to lunch.

Do all cabins get fruit and flowers? Do you have to ask for ice?

My understanding is on all cruise lines, fruit and flowers are only available when people either request them or buy celebration packages.

My understanding is on all cruise lines, fruit and flowers are only available when people either request them or buy celebration packages.

not on HAL. The Neptune Suites and PS automatically receive fruit and flowers.

Other cabins (not sure on Signature Suites - I think they get fruit automatically, too) have a fruit basket with an order card so that you can request the fruit that you want.

Edited by kazu

not on HAL. The Neptune Suites and PS automatically receive fruit and flowers.

Other cabins (not sure on Signature Suites - I think they get fruit automatically, too) have a fruit basket with an order card so that you can request the fruit that you want.

Still no fruit and flowers for me. I booked an inside cabin.

flowers depend upon the category, but there should have been a fruit bowl in your cabin with a card.

As Kazu said, that should make no difference.

I disembarked from an inside cabin just last Wednesday. There was a fruit basket and order form in the cabin, just as usual. Unless the ship is under Code Red, the bowl and order form are standard; I always take an inside cabin.

I was sent a small bowl of flowers twice, but I suspect they were because I was taking a Collector's Cruise. Each bowl was delivered at turn-around.

As Kazu said, that should make no difference.

I disembarked from an inside cabin just last Wednesday. There was a fruit basket and order form in the cabin, just as usual. Unless the ship is under Code Red, the bowl and order form are standard; I always take an inside cabin.

I was sent a small bowl of flowers twice, but I suspect they were because I was taking a Collector's Cruise. Each bowl was delivered at turn-around.

Just curious- what is a collectors cruise? I've seen other names attached to cruises too like "world cruise." Is there someplace here or on Hal's website that explain the terminology?

Just curious- what is a collectors cruise? I've seen other names attached to cruises too like "world cruise." Is there someplace here or on Hal's website that explain the terminology?

Collectors cruises are basically two back to back cruises booked under one cruise and one booking number. They are identified on the HAL website.

there is usually a small savings in the cost and you keep the same stateroom for the entire length of the cruise.

Collectors cruises are basically two back to back cruises booked under one cruise and one booking number. They are identified on the HAL website.

there is usually a small savings in the cost and you keep the same stateroom for the entire length of the cruise.

Thanks for the explanation

I have a question about the muster drill. We board Thursday lunchtime but do not depart port until 11pm the following evening. When would the muster drill be held? On the Thursday or the next evening before we leave? Thanks for any replies.