Jump to content

New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"


Host Walt
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've had the HAL Barclay's Card for many years but have quit using it because the redemption rate is low....I get more cash back from using my BofA card booking a HAL cruise than I do from booking a HAL cruise on the HAL credit card.

 

(I use the BofA credit card for travel insurance but consider all credit card travel insurance to be very basic and full of hassles...but I am fine w/that.....we also have the annual BCBS trekker medical travel insurance)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2022 at 6:22 PM, bearden said:

Booked on Noordam for Alaska in May 2023 and need to bring a CPAP machine on board but I also need distilled water for it.  Is it possible to get distilled water on board or do I need to bring it with me and will they let me. Tia

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, fasterflier said:

 

If you log into your Holland account, select your cruise, select Cruise Activities, select Beverages, at the end you can order a gallon, that will be waiting in your room. Have done it every cruise and a gallon is $2.95.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2023 at 7:08 PM, fasterflier said:

Booked on Noordam for Alaska in May 2023 and need to bring a CPAP machine on board but I also need distilled water for it.  Is it possible to get distilled water on board or do I need to bring it with me and will they let me.

I had to fill out the Special Requirements form https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/accessibility/special-requirements.html for a mobility aid.

I know folks bring a CPAP without issue but under the category Respiratory Needs section of this form you can let them know you're bringing your CPAP and there is a check box for getting distilled water for use with it.

Edited by lavictoria
fixed link
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any recent experience with laundry service? We've been fortunate on last couple cruises (Oct & Dec) to get laundry back same day even though we did not pay for express same day service. So, question is - with upcoming cruise being sold out/at capacity, has anyone experienced laundry b taking more than a day to get back?

We rely on laundry service to minimize amount of clothes we take with us - I'm packing now for next cruise and would like to pack appropriately.

That's my tip for new HAL guests - use the laundry service to minimize quantity of clothes you bring. $20/bag, $49 unlimited. The team does a great job, takes pride in their work and will tuck a handwritten note into your laundry when it's returned. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Any recent experience with laundry service? We've been fortunate on last couple cruises (Oct & Dec) to get laundry back same day even though we did not pay for express same day service. So, question is - with upcoming cruise being sold out/at capacity, has anyone experienced laundry b taking more than a day to get back?

We rely on laundry service to minimize amount of clothes we take with us - I'm packing now for next cruise and would like to pack appropriately.

That's my tip for new HAL guests - use the laundry service to minimize quantity of clothes you bring. $20/bag, $49 unlimited. The team does a great job, takes pride in their work and will tuck a handwritten note into your laundry when it's returned. 🙂

We were on Koningsdam in October and had a bag full (24 items the first time and 22 the second!) washed twice.The ship was at about 85% occupancy. We left the first bag on the bed before going to dinner and it was returned the next day before lunch. The second bag took slightly longer. As I recall we left it one morning and it was returned the following afternoon before dinner. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Any recent experience with laundry service? We've been fortunate on last couple cruises (Oct & Dec) to get laundry back same day even though we did not pay for express same day service. So, question is - with upcoming cruise being sold out/at capacity, has anyone experienced laundry b taking more than a day to get back?

We rely on laundry service to minimize amount of clothes we take with us - I'm packing now for next cruise and would like to pack appropriately.

That's my tip for new HAL guests - use the laundry service to minimize quantity of clothes you bring. $20/bag, $49 unlimited. The team does a great job, takes pride in their work and will tuck a handwritten note into your laundry when it's returned. 🙂

On my December 2022 Rotterdam New Years cruise with 2900+ passengers (capacity2660), my morning laundry turn-in was returned the same day.  Nightly turn-in was back by lunchtime the next day.

 

FWIW in 200+ laundry turn-ins, only one turn-in did not meet the above timing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We were on Koningsdam in October and had a bag full (24 items the first time and 22 the second!) washed twice.The ship was at about 85% occupancy. We left the first bag on the bed before going to dinner and it was returned the next day before lunch. The second bag took slightly longer. As I recall we left it one morning and it was returned the following afternoon before dinner. 

We used the unlimited on our Alaska trip, we would put out a bag or two at night and got it back the next morning most days, longest was early afternoon.  Well worth it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Any recent experience with laundry service?

 

We used unlimited laundry (no express) on the Nieuw Statendam in November on a sold out Thanksgiving cruise and we would have the laundry bag on the bed in the morning and we would see it back the next day (usually afternoon).  

 

All good as always. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CruiserN1 said:

I've never sailed HAL before but am a 1* Mariner because we've sailed Princess before. I see there is a Welcome Onboard Lunch for Mariners 1* and above. Where is this served?

 

MDR

 

....the crew will direct you to the lido buffet but go to the MDR and see if it is open......sometimes it is reported on here that it is not open....We were onboard in November and it was....It's our preferred way to begin our cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

I've never sailed HAL before but am a 1* Mariner because we've sailed Princess before. I see there is a Welcome Onboard Lunch for Mariners 1* and above. Where is this served?

No special luncheon but one level of MDR is normally open for lunch on Embarkation Day, it was last year on the Oosterdam from Venice. In 2019 on the Nordam it was open, but it closed abruptly at 1:00pm and we were refused entry at 12:55pm after we boarded. We are 3 stars with HAL but their loyalty program offers very little in amenities.

Edited by terrydtx
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Then what about CCL and HAL (which are also owned by the same parent group)? We're 'Platinum' level in CCL's loyalty system, but only 2-star with HAL.

I have never asked about CCL as I would never sail with them. I knew about Princess as we looked at a cruise with them last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I have never asked about CCL as I would never sail with them. I knew about Princess as we looked at a cruise with them last year.

We have loyalty numbers for CCL, HAL and Princess and are at different levels on each of them. Would love for them to be reciprocated if someone can tell me how to go about making that happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I have never asked about CCL as I would never sail with them. I knew about Princess as we looked at a cruise with them last year.

 

We don't sail with them anymore either, but my point was, using your logic/criteria (owned by the same parent group), HAL should honor our loyalty level from CCL, but they don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Yes, they are owned by the same parent group.

Yes owned by the same group but I do not believe that your Princess loyalty level carries across to HAL except for 1*.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nang said:

Yes owned by the same group but I do not believe that your Princess loyalty level carries across to HAL except for 1*.

What you "believe" is correct. There have been several threads here on CC over the years about some kind of reciprocity between the CCL corp lines but to date nothing has been done. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2022 at 2:56 PM, terrydtx said:

Does anyone realy have a desktop anyone? Yes any PC will work.

I still have two loaded up desktops. Prefer them when editing videos & photo slide shows with music. Everything else, laptop, tablet & phone does the job....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Special Event: Q&A with Laura Hodges Bethge, President Celebrity Cruises
      • Hurricane Zone 2024
      • Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...