Jump to content

New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"


Host Walt
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, anuenue said:

  My question is would it be better to be under the pool area or the Lido buffet?

I second @RuthC's advice. Apart from the chairs, etc., it's amazing how noisy the waves in a pool can be if you encounter enough weather to get it rocking, but not enough for the crew to drain it! 🍺🥌

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I second @RuthC's advice. Apart from the chairs, etc., it's amazing how noisy the waves in a pool can be if you encounter enough weather to get it rocking, but not enough for the crew to drain it! 🍺🥌

I have to agree with Ruth and you too, but will take it one step further and advise not booking ANYTHING on deck 8 (directly under the Lido), if you can help it.
It's just asking for strange noises coming from above somewhere..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, cwd79 said:

Anyone have any experience in a vista suite on the Zaandam with three adults? Been on Zaandam several times but only in an inside or OV room, never with three adults in one cabin. We will be on the deck 6 as we didn't want to be on the 7th deck due to Lido is on the 8th deck. With the sofa bed out, I'm assuming it's going to be pretty tight? 

On the R class ships the Vista suites not only have a nice balcony but much more space than the standard OV cabins. While we have not sailed in one with 3 people, there is IMO enough room with the cough made into a sleeper bed. During the day have your cabin attendant make up the bed so you have a couch to sit on. Unlike the Signature Suites on the Vista class and up ships the Vista Suite has a very small bathroom. We only sail in Vista suites on R class ships for the balcony and more space. We have one booked next year on the Volendam.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, anuenue said:

I have a question?  We are cruising May 7-14 on WEsterdam from Seattle to Alaska R/T.  My son wants to join us so we are upgrading to a Signature room on deck 8.  My question is would it be better to be under the pool area or the Lido buffet?

If possible, I would book the SS on deck 6, this is where we always book a SS on the Vista class ships. If you are light sleepers or like to sleep in the noise can be bad from the Lido deck early in the mornings.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, anuenue said:

My question is would it be better to be under the pool area or the Lido buffet?

I love deck 8 aft section cabins because of the proximity to deck 9; if something is seen on the other side of the ship you can quickly go up to see.  We prefer cabins under the Seaview pool.  I have never been bothered by pool noise including a few rough nights during a canal passage on the Zuiderdam and a transatlantic on the Oosterdam.  There is a brief period of noise when the chairs are being set up but it is not that early in the morning.  I once upgraded to Signature Suite on the Oosterdam which was under the Lido,  you could hear the carts rolling across the tile floor early in the morning.  Once I realized what it was I was able to go back to sleep but it was noisier than under the Seaview pool area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2023 at 5:26 PM, terrydtx said:

Last year when I had some extra OBC on the last day of the cruise, I bought a couple of very good quality shirts in the ships store. We also used some for a bottle of good wine on our anniversary. We had about $50 left in the account that we gave to our room steward as an extra tip.

 

Edited by Kroebeltje
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2023 at 6:01 PM, iaae22 said:

Hello  - a few more questions from the newbie. We are not getting ‘Have is All’ as it’s will not work or us. Only one person in the cabin drinks alcohol (and maybe 2-3 per day the most). We were looking into other option but wondering if all have to be purchased for both people in the room. For example – can only one person get Quench? We can always pay as we go but I can’t find pricing for that to see if package even worth considering. I would like to know price for coffee (black), cappuccino, sparkling water. Also does Coca-Cola package for soda only or include sparkling and plain water (does not have to be bottled)? How about beverage cards - are those same as just paying as you go or they give you any advantage?

Thanks!

have look here 
 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/ 
 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2023 at 12:01 PM, iaae22 said:

We were looking into other option but wondering if all have to be purchased for both people in the room. For example – can only one person get Quench? ... How about beverage cards - are those same as just paying as you go or they give you any advantage?

 

I did not see answers to these questions.

 

Yes, everyone on the booking needs to purchase the Quench package if one does.

 

The beverage cards act as pre-paid credit cards - the amount of the beverage is deducted from the balance. Any remaining balance is applied to your onboard balance or refunded to the credit card on file at the end of the cruise. There is no savings, but you don't have to track each purchase in your account. Some have reported they are no longer sold on the ships, only online pre-cruise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello. There will be three of us in a cabin... so when checking in on the website and placing a credit card for expenses, it appears we can each add our own credit card for our own expenses. I am assuming when each of us uses our own room key for something that is extra cost, the charges will go against our individual credit card that we listed? Hope that made sense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cwd79 said:

Hello. There will be three of us in a cabin... so when checking in on the website and placing a credit card for expenses, it appears we can each add our own credit card for our own expenses. I am assuming when each of us uses our own room key for something that is extra cost, the charges will go against our individual credit card that we listed? Hope that made sense. 

Yes. Each persons credit card is associated with their own key card. Charges will go on to whatever credit card is associated with that key card. Hubby and I use the same credit card, but you can see which charges are his and which are mine.

Edited by Dismomx5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

Yes. Each persons credit card is associated with their own key card. Charges will go on to whatever credit card is associated with that key card. Hubby and I use the same credit card, but you can see which charges are his and which are mine.

Ok that's good to know. We didn't want to have to try to settle up with each other at the end of the cruise with who bought what etc. If each of us has our own credit card associated with our own keycard then that should alleviate that issue. Thank you

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

>> I saw a question regarding boarding times. Do they assign earlier times based on category and Mariner status? I'm a 1 star, but will be in a Neptune suite.

 

>> Are the cabins ready to occupy upon embarkation?

 

>> If there are not loungers on our balcony (after corner deck 4, certainly large enough), can they be requested and, are they padded?

 

>> Is the safety briefing the "e-version" now, and what's the process with that?

 

>> I recall reading that specialty dining will start showing online about 4 months prior to sailing, is that correct?

 

>> Perhaps I've already asked this (might have been among my "new to MSC" posts for an upcoming sailing), but can one request a kettle in their suite in order to heat water for tea?

 

That's all I could think of during this 5-minute window.  😄 

 

THANKS,

 

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2023 at 5:34 PM, LVinTennessee said:

Another internet package question - I bought the premium internet plan. We are going to the Caribbean. 
Do I still need to put my phone in airplane mode?

Yes. Put your phone in airplane mode, then turn Wi-Fi back on.That prevents the phone from connecting to a cellular network but allows you to use the Internet through your Premium Internet Plan.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

...

 

>> If there are not loungers on our balcony (after corner deck 4, certainly large enough), can they be requested and, are they padded?

..

 

Make that AFT corner... geesh  🙂

 

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2023 at 11:26 AM, terrydtx said:

We had about $50 left in the account that we gave to our room steward as an extra tip.

How were you able to transfer that to your steward? This sounds like a great idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, LizEsq said:

How were you able to transfer that to your steward? This sounds like a great idea.

Went to guest services for a form to fill out and charge the extra tip to our ship account.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2023 at 6:26 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

>> I saw a question regarding boarding times. Do they assign earlier times based on category and Mariner status? I'm a 1 star, but will be in a Neptune suite.

Don't think anyone knows how boarding times are assigned, but on my last cruise as 1 star in Neptune suite I was assigned first boarding time of 11am.

>> Are the cabins ready to occupy upon embarkation?

Boarding started at 11:15 and we were informed cabin wasn't ready so went to seaview pool for a champagne toast, then MDR for lunch. By the time we got to cabin steward was anxiously awaiting our arrival with luggage already in room.

>> If there are not loungers on our balcony (after corner deck 4, certainly large enough), can they be requested and, are they padded?

Loungers have pads.

>> Is the safety briefing the "e-version" now, and what's the process with that?

Watch safety video on TV in cabin and get your keycard swiped at your assigned muster station.  

>> I recall reading that specialty dining will start showing online about 4 months prior to sailing, is that correct?

Maybe 3 months, but yes early on in my experience.

>> Perhaps I've already asked this (might have been among my "new to MSC" posts for an upcoming sailing), but can one request a kettle in their suite in order to heat water for tea?

Neptune suite has a coffeemaker but no kettle. Tea available in Neptune Lounge.

That's all I could think of during this 5-minute window.  😄 

 

THANKS,

 

Tom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LizEsq said:

How were you able to transfer that to your steward? This sounds like a great idea.

 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Went to guest services for a form to fill out and charge the extra tip to our ship account.

But does that money go to the general tip fund or specific individuals . Not that it's a problem either way .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Thanks!

 

Hopefully a kettle can be located on the ship (for in cabin use). I'm probably not going to trek from deck 4 aft to the Neptune lounge for hot water for my iced tea, lol.

 

Tom

With the "coffee maker" that you get in the neptune suite, you might be able to make hot water for tea or hot chocolate or whatever.  

 

-gregma

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, gregma60 said:

With the "coffee maker" that you get in the neptune suite, you might be able to make hot water for tea or hot chocolate or whatever.  

 

-gregma


Yep, I've defaulted to that (or tried to) a couple times in the past. I'm not a coffee drinker, so even the faint remnant of a coffee taste can be detected that way - without multiple flushes and such.


THANKS 🙂

 

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Special Event: Q&A with Laura Hodges Bethge, President Celebrity Cruises
      • Hurricane Zone 2024
      • Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...