• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Viking Delling on the Danube

bermuda83

Hello,

We are leaving September 6th on our first river cruise and so I am trying to gather as much info as possible. We are doing the "Romantic Danube" tour from Budapest to Nuremberg, with an extension in Prague at the end.

I am curious if anyone has been on the Delling. I understand it is one of Viking's new long boats. If so, any comments or recommendations about the ship would be appreciated.

We are staying in the Prague Marriott as a Viking extension after the trip. If anyone has done the same and would like to share experiences or suggestions, that would be great.

Any and all information people can share as we prepare for this trip is certainly appreciated.

Thanks!

bermuda -

Viking put into service several longships in the past month or two. The Delling is one, the Kara is another. They are all identical, down to the pictures on the wall! Any comments on one - menu, excursions, service - will apply to the others. The big difference will be the cruise director and other staff form ship to ship. And that will be a personality issue. They all have the same scripts, procedures, training, etc. Then even past reviews may not matter because the crew rotates regularly and may change at the end of each cruise. On our cruise, the CD, our maid and one of our favorite waiters left at the end of the cruise because their contracts were over for the season.

The Marriott is great. See if you can get an upgrade to the concierge floor. Then you can use the terrace with magnificent views of Budapest, breakfast, heavy hors d'oeuvres, wine, etc. We stayed at the Marriott on our own, concierge floor, for a fraction of the cost of the Viking extension. The Marriott is right across the street from the dock. You can get there on your own or get one of the many taxis that lineup at the dock.

Viking will offer extra cost excursions at Budapest before you disembark. None are included in the price of your extension. They will not be advertised before you get on board. We booked two full day private excursions with http://www.travelguidehungary.com and they were excellent. The first day the guide picked us up at the boat and took us first to the Marriott to drop off our luggage. Even if you take the Viking extension, you might want to book your own tours. I know several of the people on our cruise did.

Edited by marazul

Bermuda,

We were on the maiden voyage of the Delling in late March/early April on a Tulips and Windmill cruise. It was absolutely beautiful and we had a wonderful time. The crew was top notch, the food was delicious and plentiful, and everything was handled with great attention to detail.

I have some pictures of the cabin and ship if you send me your email address, I'll send them to you.

Wishing you a great trip!

Hello,

We are leaving September 6th on our first river cruise and so I am trying to gather as much info as possible. We are doing the "Romantic Danube" tour from Budapest to Nuremberg, with an extension in Prague at the end.

I am curious if anyone has been on the Delling. I understand it is one of Viking's new long boats. If so, any comments or recommendations about the ship would be appreciated.

We are staying in the Prague Marriott as a Viking extension after the trip. If anyone has done the same and would like to share experiences or suggestions, that would be great.

Any and all information people can share as we prepare for this trip is certainly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, It is a great trip, recommendations bring less clothes .

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised on the Delling the end of May, 2014, The Romantic Danube trip. Loved everything about it. The crew was most helpful, very accommodating. The boat was very clean. The stateroom was very well designed. We stayed in a room with a port hole window, and we were fine with it. We were rarely in our room, except to sleep, shower and dress, so I don't think we would have used the balcony much if we had one. (We booked late, and there were no balcony rooms left.) A big part of our cruise was meeting new people in the lounge areas, and going on the excursions. We did not have a bad meal (and I am a foodie), and the wines were very nice-- no wine in the box here. There was always something on the menu that was appealing- often it was tough to choose! Everything was well organized. I have already booked another cruise with Viking. That's how good the first cruise was.