Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TripletDad

Carnival Victory Review 7/31 -8/7 LONG!

First let me start with who was cruising. My self (Jeff), my wife (Karen 1), my wifes best friend (Karen 2 ), and Karen 2 husband (Dean). We are from Canton, NY witch is in northern NY near the Canadian boarder.

This was mine and my wifes first cruise and it was Karen 2 and Dean's 5th cruise. All of thier cruises being on Carnival ships. We flew into Miami the day before the cruise. We had little problem with our first flight to Pittsburg. Last fall we found excellant airfare flying on US Airways Express out of the little aiport 18 miles from us in Ogdensburg, NY. The closest larger airport is Syracuse or Ottawa Canada. We got up Saturday at 3am so we would be in Ogdensburg for 4:30am for a 5:50am Flight. We started out for the airport it was a little foggy. The closere we got the worse the fog got. We got to the aiport and the desk lady told us that she was not shure if the flight could land. After being there for about 15 minutes she went out and took some weather data and sight measurements. She cam back in and told us the best we could hope for was delay if not a cancelled flight. She started looking to see what she could do with us. The flight we had booked starts in Massena, NY, stops in Ogdensburg then Watertown, NY and finaly on to Pittsburg. She found out the plane would be able to take off from Massena and that Watertown was clear and would be able to land there. Ogdensburg was to fogged in and the stop was probably going to be canncelled. At this point it was 4:50am. We then asked what if we drove to Watertown and got on there, it's about an hours drive from Ogdensburg. (18minutes by plane timed on the way home) The USairways lady said that would be fine. She called and let them know this is what we were going to do and said they would hold the plane for us. We left Ogdensburg at about 5am and got to Watertown at about 6:05am. The flight wasn't schduled to leave Watertown till 6:30am so we made it with time to spare. The Flight to Pittsburg was great. The Pittsburg airport is real nice airport with lots of shops and palces to eat. We made our connection and we were in Miami by 12:pm.

Since Dean is diabetic we ate lunch at the airport before going to our hotel. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. We took a taxi to hotel cost about $20 plus tip. We thought the hotel was nice. Our room was ready when we got there. We droped off our luggage and set out to find Pepsi products since we do not like cook. We walked a few blocks to a Walgreens and got wat we needed. BTW I wouldnt do this walk after dark. We then went back to hotel and relaxed a bit. It was then off to dinner. We went across the street to Bayside Marketplace and ate at Buba Gumps. We just loved Buba Gumbs. After dinner we walked around Bayside and did a little shopping.

We finaly finshed walking around bayside and went back to the hotel to get some sleep it was only 8:30pm but we were all tired from a long day. We had a suite for all for of us. My wife and I slept on the sofa bed and Karen 2 and Dean slept in the bedroom. After we got in bed we relized that there was

a rather loud party in next room going on. As the evening wore on the party got louder and they startd banging on somthing. It took numerous calls to the manager to get them quieted down. It was almost 11:15pm before it stoped. I was able to figure out they were all sailing the next day the Valour. Also from listening to their loud coversation through the walls that some of them planned on staying drunk the whole week.

We got up the next morning just in time to the siee the RC ship just comming in to port the Victory was already there. We ate breakfast at the hotel it was a buffet. It was ok but I've had better. After breakfast Dean and I made a quick walk to Walgreens again for few things we had forgotten. Shortly after 10am we decide it was time to head to the port. We had the bellhop take our luggage down and get us a taxi. It was going to take a van taxi to get us and all our luggage to the port. The bellhop tried hard to get us one with out much luck. It seemed like everyone that went by had fare already. We decided we would split up and take 2 taxis. The taxi diiver that took us I don't think wanted to do that short of a trip. He drove like a made man weaving in and out of traffic and cutting people off. When we got to the port he didn't follow the other taxis. He went a diffrent way and drove over curb and got us there some how. He couldn't get our luggage out of his taxi quik enought and was gone. I gave him his fare and no more. I realy felt like I was in danger during the ride. At least we were at the port but had no idea where our friend were. We finaly met them by the door going into the port terminal.

We went inside they had check in we got our sail and sign cards and checked our passports. They sent us to line to stand just in side the door. After while they moved us into next room with the cattle hearding ropes. We were there quite a while. We were alble to see people still getting off of ship from the previous weeks cruise. At about 12:15pm they started letting us go up stairs. After a short wait we had our pictures for sail and sign cards taken and was on to the ship. Ocourse the we had the welcome aboard picture taken. Since Dean is diabetic first stop was the Lido deck for lunch. I thought the food was great. We have 10yr old triplets so we do Ponderosa a lot this was by far better than that.

After eating we went to see if our rooms were ready and they were. Karen 2 and Dean were in 6267 and we were in 6269. Tese are balcony rooms on the upper deck starboard side.. The stward had already unlocked the balcony divider. The divider was the only draw back to these rooms, when it was opened it blocked the door to one of our cabins. We managed to live with it.

We sat out on our balconies watching them load all the luggage and supplies on the ship. About 4pm they had the muster drill and about 4:20 we sailed. We stayed on our balcony for sail away. The highlight of sail away was when the ship passed a fishing boat on its way back in. There was a young man on the bow every body was waving to him. He stood up and mooned the ship every body on ship started clapping and cheerring. By 5:15 everybody in our group except me had our luggage. Mine was there by time we got back from dinner.

I forgot to mention that we took a tour of the spa before the muster drill. The wifes booked appointments to get their nails done that night and their hair done before the formal nights. They also booked couldple of other things such as massges. Money to use the SPA can add up quick by the end off the Cruise we had close to $500 of spa and beauty salon charges on the Sail and Sign account.

Our dinner sitting was 5:45 in the Pacific dinning room, so a 5:30 we started for dinner. We were seated at table 445 witch is in the middle of main floor. It was a talble for 8. Our talble mates got there after we did(Donna & Vince, and Carol & Mike). They were about the same age as us and we enjoyed each others company all week. Our servers were Ali our head waiter who was from India. Anna the bread and water person was from Russia. They wer just great! After dinner ther girld went to get their nails done. Dean and I went to explore the ship. After the girls were done in the Spa we went to the Welcome aboard show. We all enjoyed it very much. The Cruise Director was Steve Knisley he was very good and also funny. It was then off to bed. We didn't go to the R rated comedy act. to be continued. I Know this is getting long but I want to tell you everything.

TripletDad.

Thanks for your great review so far ... How was your room at the HI ... did you have one facing the Port ... how much was the breakfast buffet ... maybe I missed it but what time did you get on board ...

Candy

Can't wait to read the rest of your review

We'll be on the Victory out of Miami 1/29/06, so I'm anxious to learn all I can. Thanks.

We are on the Eastern Carr. on the Victory on Oct 2. Waiting for more!

First about the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. No they don't have shuttle wish they did. Breakfast cost about 10 dollars each for the buffet. They do have some special Sail Away packages that do include breakfast. We wish our room had been higher up for a better view of the port. When booked the hotel back last October I asked to be as high as possible. I found some of the staff at hotel not very personable. I have stayed at better hotels and have stayed a worse. I probably would stay here again because being close to the port and Bayside Marketplace.

Now on with the review.

Monday 8/1 Fun Day at Sea.

The first thing we did was sleep in, it was great. I usually have to get up no later than 4:30am for work. We didn't get up until 8am. We had breakfast on the lido deck at he Mediterraneen Restaurant. This is wear we ate breakfast every morning. It was not anything spectacular but was very good.

Some of the things available were, Fresh Fruit (usually cantalope, Honey dew, and Pineapple), Yagurt, ham, bacon, sausage, cheeses, cereal, dnaishs, scrambled eggs. There was also a station where they did made to order Omlets, they were good. To drink ther was Orange juice, apple juice,paso guava juice (We didn't like this), these were availble from the drink station. They also had V-8 and cranberry juice available by the danishes. BTW the one drink station was labled as being abailable 24hrs a day. After breakfst the drink stations had lemonaide,Fruit Punch, Apple Juice, Iced Tea, and water at them. These are no extra cost. If you don't mind these to drink, no need for a soda card. We saw people who had braught big insulated mugs with them and took drinks back to there cabin with them. There was insulated mugs for sale in one of the shops. I can't remember the price, but do remember my wife saying to me it wasn't to bad.

After beakfast we went and explored so more. At 10:30 we went and played bingo in the Caribbean Lounge. This bingo was free. This was just before the port talk on Cozumel. CD Steve did the port talk. He had a power point slide presention to go with it. I thought it was informative. We had already booked an excursion on line a few months before sailing. If also gave us information on arrivail time and departure time and when to be back on board. He talked about the local transportation and where to meat your tour gorups.

It then was off to lunch on the lido deck. Lunch here was buffet or some specialty areas. The buffet always had plenty to sald bar cold salds hot dishes and wonderful desers. There was one line by lido deck pool that they cald the tast of nations. Every day it had a differant theme, Italian, indian, ect. There was the east river deli where you could get sandwitchs made and such. ( the ruebens are good). The Yangzee Wok that served chineese food. They did alright with some things here some of them were awfull. Hamburgers Hotdogs, Fench Fries, and Pizza was always available.

After lunch we jus hung out waiting for the shopping talk at 3pm. Rick and Hector did the super shopper talk in the Caribbean lounge. If you never been to a particular port go to this talk. They told us what was available in port, what was good buys, what shops had what, where to get the best deal, and how to get free guarantee. They also gave information customs info and allowances. I found this talk very informative. Ther was a map given with the recomended shops on it. They also had coupons for free or discounted items. If you are planning on doing any shopping go to these talks. I think it saved us time and money.

Later that afternoon Karen 1 and Karen 2 went to get their hair done for formal night. Tonight was our first of 2 formal nights. The girls had both bought new dresses for the occasion. Dean and I rented Tuxes through the ship. It was one less thing to pack, plus made more room to take souvenirs home. It was great to see everybody dressed up. We had our pictures taken in our formal wear at couple of places on the way dinner. The menue was great that night, lobster tail, primrib to name a few. I ended up having 2 lobster tails. The deserts are also great. I should mention Vince one of our table mates could realy eat. Most nights he had a least 2 appitizers, a salad, then usualy a least there main dishes. He would eat only one desert most of the time. The wait staff sang for the dinning room that night, they were pretty good.

After dinner we went to show "livin' in America" in the Caribbean Lounge.

I realy enjoyed the show. It was a vegas style show with scimpy costums and high energy music and dancing. After the show we went back to our cabins and sat out on our balconies and enjoyed the evening. We opened some wine we brought with us and I went and got us some pizza to go with it. Then it was off to bed we had a 8:30am exursion in Cozumel. \

To be continued.

TripletDad.

Thank You For A Great Review Wating For More.:) I Will Be On The Victory Sept. 4, 2005:d

Does anyone know why there were so many Italians on the cruise.

Was there a tour group from Italy?

Hi, I am hoping to read more soon. I love to hear what others have done.

:D We will be on the Victory on September 4th. Thanks for the review it sounds like you had a great time. We are really looking foward to it! Only two more weeks!

I To Will Be On The Victory Sept 4, 2005 And Just Got My Doc Today.

Time To Start Packing.:)