Our Fabulous Fascination cruise (with pics!!) 8/2/14

Jamman54

Hi, y'all!

Great to meet you on the Liberty! We, too, love the little Fascination. We go whenever we get a good chance. Enjoying your review and following along.

The price for Monday was irresistible! Anybody you want us to say "hi" to next week?

So sorry to hear of your tragic loss. We understand, having been there, as well. Grief for so much loss and it seems so unfair.

Love, Jerry and Cindy

Hey there!! Did you get tired of the housework already! :) It was great meeting you guys on the Liberty last week. Hope our paths cross again some time in the not to distant future.

The Fascination will always hold a special place in my heart. This was the first ship my wife and I were ever on. Back in 1997, it was one of the larger cruise ships. It is funny reading the "little Fascination".

CFS020.jpg

We awoke this morning refreshed and ready to go. It’s embarkation day! We headed downstairs to the free breakfast that they offered, and let me tell you that it was absolutely fantastic. They had anything you could want, including make your own waffles, and ready-made omelets of several varieties. Also included were sausage, bacon, and ham slices. What a great spread, and it’s all included in your room charge. I highly recommend the Country Inn and Suites!

We left the hotel around 9:30 am for the 35 minute or so drive down to Jaxport. We are getting close…..

CFS021.JPG

Our first views of the Fascination docked at Jaxport…..

CFS022.JPG

CFS024.JPG

CFS025.JPG

We are here…..

CFS027.JPG

To be continued.....

Unfortunately, we were turned away by the people at the port because the Fascination had been late arriving into port this morning, and were asked to please come back at 11:30. Crap…that’s over an hour from now! We decided to drive around and see the local sights, so we got on I-295 and drove over the bridge that we would be sailing under later in the day….

CFS028.JPG

CFS032.JPG

CFS034.JPG

After driving around for a while, we came back to the port only to find that they were still not letting people in. However, now people were just parking on the side of the road until they opened up, and it was quickly becoming a huge mess. When they finally opened for new passengers, picture several hundred cars trying to get into the two incoming lanes at the same time. There was a huge line of cars for the checkpoint, a huge line of cars for baggage drop off, and a huge line of cars waiting to pay for parking. Patti took these two shots of the Fascination as we inched towards the baggage drop off……

CFS040.JPG

CFS041.JPG

Then took this nice shot as we waited in line to pay for parking…..

CFS038.JPG

To be continued…..

Once the car was parked, we headed to the VIP line for screening and check in. It became noticeable almost immediately that the regular line was moving much faster than the VIP line. It turns out that the port people were training a newbie on the VIP scanning machine, so the line was almost at a standstill. It was while we were only halfway thru this line that I heard that boarding had started. There certainly was no advantage to being Diamond, Platinum, or FTTF this day!!

Once through the scanner, it didn’t get much better, as the VIP check in team was hopelessly behind. Bottom line is that we didn’t board until after 12:30, but we still managed to smile…..

CFS042.jpg

Since we booked this cruise so late, all the cabanas on Half Moon Cay, (HMC), had long been sold out. I was hoping that I could be one of the first aboard, head straight to the Shore Excursion desk, put my name on the waiting list first, and maybe get lucky and get one, as I had done a few times in the past. I have never been to HMC and not had a cabana.

Once we finally got onboard, I went straight to the Shore Excursion desk, but since we had gotten on so late, there were already five names on the waiting list. I didn’t even bother to leave my name. No cabana for us this time. Sniff…

CFS043.JPG

Shore Excursion info…..

CFS044.jpg

We went to our cabin to drop off our carryon bags, before heading up to the Lido for lunch. By this time, ALL the cabins were ready for passengers. Ryan and I went to the Rotisserie for our chicken fix, and Patti opted for the Italian. Patti bought her first DOD for this cruise……

CFS047.JPG

Patti and Jeff……

CFS048.JPG

What do you expect since the buffet area on the Lido Deck is named the Coconut Grove?

CFS049.JPG

To be continued…..

Our blue van in the parking lot…..

CFS051.JPG

Carnival Fascination!!

CFS054.JPG

It HAS to be hot in there!!

CFS055.JPG

The Lido Pool area – Deck 10 Mid.

CFS056.JPG

My first beer of the cruise…..

CFS059.JPG

The Bottomless Bubbles table…….

CFS060.JPG

To be continued……

Patti decided to head back to the cabin to begin unpacking, while I made it over to the Lido Pool bar, port side, for an informal meet and greet at 2pm with fellow CC members. The roll call was a very, very small one, so I was not surprised when nobody else showed up. I hung around at the bar until 3:30, when the muster drill was about to begin. At the same time the skies darkened, and a thunderstorm rolled over us.

At 3:45, the alarm sounded, and we reported to our muster station, which was in the Putting on the Ritz lounge, on deck 9 aft. Usually, on a Fantasy Class ship, halfway through the drill, the passengers are led from their muster stations on deck 9, up to the deck 10 boat loading stations. But because of the thunderstorms outside, the whole drill was done inside, in the lounge.

Soon the drill was over, and the ship prepared to sail. It stopped raining and the skies cleared up! Patti and Ryan decided to watch the sail away from our balcony, and I would roam the open decks and take pictures.

A view of the entrance to the port…..

CFS064.JPG

Nearby Nuke Plant.....

CFS063.JPG

They are throwing the lines…..

CFS065.JPG

The Fascination pulls away from the pier…..

CFS066.JPG

The ship is spinning around to head out to sea…..

CFS067.JPG

The city of Jacksonville is in the distance…..

CFS068.JPG

To be continued…..

I am so happy to see your review! I enjoyed your others so much, so I've been looking forward to this. I'm so glad your family got to go on both cruises. I know all of you need this so much after your loss. This might sound weird, but I believe Kevin is still with you and always will be. I too had a tragic, sudden loss of one of my brothers three years ago. We were 14 months apart and went through school together. We had our typical sibling rivalry growing up, be we were close. A little over 10 years ago, on a family vacation, there was an incident on a golf course over a golf ball, a "range ball", between my brother and my dad. It's too long to get into, but it was funny. About five weeks after we lost my brother, I was at a local pool with a friend and her son and nephew. On the way out through the parking lot to my car, I happened to look down and see a golf ball and picked it up. It was a "range" ball. Funny thing is there are no golf courses in that area, just the pool in a residential area. I just got this strange feeling that somehow my brother "put" it there to let me know he was still with me. I kept that golf ball and it's still on my nightstand to this day. Again, my condolences to you and your family. Thank you for doing a review and I am looking forward to the rest of this one and the one you'll be doing of Carnival Liberty. I hope you enjoyed Liberty as much as we did.

Holly

I am so happy to see your review! I enjoyed your others so much, so I've been looking forward to this. I'm so glad your family got to go on both cruises. I know all of you need this so much after your loss. This might sound weird, but I believe Kevin is still with you and always will be. I too had a tragic, sudden loss of one of my brothers three years ago. We were 14 months apart and went through school together. We had our typical sibling rivalry growing up, be we were close. A little over 10 years ago, on a family vacation, there was an incident on a golf course over a golf ball, a "range ball", between my brother and my dad. It's too long to get into, but it was funny. About five weeks after we lost my brother, I was at a local pool with a friend and her son and nephew. On the way out through the parking lot to my car, I happened to look down and see a golf ball and picked it up. It was a "range" ball. Funny thing is there are no golf courses in that area, just the pool in a residential area. I just got this strange feeling that somehow my brother "put" it there to let me know he was still with me. I kept that golf ball and it's still on my nightstand to this day. Again, my condolences to you and your family. Thank you for doing a review and I am looking forward to the rest of this one and the one you'll be doing of Carnival Liberty. I hope you enjoyed Liberty as much as we did.

Holly

Not weird at all. We believe that there is existence after the physical world, and that our dear departed ones will leave us "signs" that they are OK, and are still with us. We were given a major "sign" from Kevin during this cruise which I will tell you about and show you later in this review. Sorry for your loss, and yes, you were given such a "sign". I will be posting some new segments later on tonight.

We continue with our sail away from Jacksonville.

Goodbye Jaxport. See you in 5 days…..

CFS070.JPG

Views of Waterworks, Deck11 aft…..

CFS071.JPG

CFS073.JPG

CFS075.JPG

One of the many ship photographers at work…..

CFS076.JPG

We are approaching the I-295 bridge…..

CFS082.JPG

To be continued…..

Not weird at all. We believe that there is existence after the physical world, and that our dear departed ones will leave us "signs" that they are OK, and are still with us. We were given a major "sign" from Kevin during this cruise which I will tell you about and show you later in this review. Sorry for your loss, and yes, you were given such a "sign". I will be posting some new segments later on tonight.

Jamman54, I am so very sorry about your loss of your son. I am also of the same belief as you, that there is existence after the physical world. I have had two experiences; once in Europe, in a scary situation, but heard my grandfather's voice which I had not heard in 15 years since his passing, but he lead me out of danger. and another time, that is, well, just too weird to tell about. I do believe that our departed loved ones are always looking over us, and I believe they look after us too

Edited by SMSACE6

Sailing under the I-295 bridge…..

CFS084.JPG

CFS086.JPG

CFS087.JPG

We made it…..

CFS088.JPG

I was feeling hungry for a deli sandwich, so I began to make my way there, snapping some photos along the way.

The Lido Stage, Deck 10 mid ship…..

CFS089.JPG

Looking aft towards the funnel…..

CFS097.JPG

To be continued…..

The Lido Pool, Deck 10 mid ship…..

CFS094.JPG

The forward Lido Pool hot tub…..

CFS096.JPG

Made it to the deli, which is located on Deck 10 aft. It is open from 11am to 11pm daily. Two ham, cheese, and tomato sandwiches please…..

CFS100.JPG

Once I finished my snack, I went back outside to watch us sail down the St. Johns River to the Atlantic Ocean. It takes about an hour and a half from the time you sail until you are out at sea. There are some very beautiful views along the way…..

CFS101.JPG

There are some very beautiful houses…..

CFS102.JPG

CFS103.JPG

To be continued……

Edited by Jamman54

Meanwhile, the party is in full swing on the Lido Deck, including some line dancing…..

CFS104.JPG

The Lido Pool Bar – Port side…..

CFS105.JPG

Looking down the St. Johns River towards the Atlantic Ocean…..

CFS107.JPG

Here are some more beautiful homes…..

CFS111.JPG

This is Deck 10 Port side, forward…..

CFS115.JPG

The Sandollar. Looks like a great place to eat and drink…..

CFS116.JPG

To be continued…..

We are almost out to sea…..

CFS118.JPG

The Jaxport pilot boat…..

CFS119.JPG

Jacksonville Beach views…..

CFS123.JPG

CFS124.JPG

We are out to sea…...

CFS135.JPG

The pilot is leaving the ship…..

CFS132.jpg

To be continued…..

I'm sorry for your lost. Prayers for your family.

I have never cruised before and my husband and I are planning to take our first in Sept, 2015. Haven't book yet, so in the mean time I'm just stalking and living through everyone else good times. So I'm relaxed and ready for some good reading:)

Patti decided to head back to the cabin to begin unpacking, while I made it over to the Lido Pool bar, port side, for an informal meet and greet at 2pm with fellow CC members. The roll call was a very, very small one, so I was not surprised when nobody else showed up. I hung around at the bar until 3:30, when the muster drill was about to begin. At the same time the skies darkened, and a thunderstorm rolled over us.

At 3:45, the alarm sounded, and we reported to our muster station, which was in the Putting on the Ritz lounge, on deck 9 aft. Usually, on a Fantasy Class ship, halfway through the drill, the passengers are led from their muster stations on deck 9, up to the deck 10 boat loading stations. But because of the thunderstorms outside, the whole drill was done inside, in the lounge.

Soon the drill was over, and the ship prepared to sail. It stopped raining and the skies cleared up! Patti and Ryan decided to watch the sail away from our balcony, and I would roam the open decks and take pictures.

Nearby Nuke Plant.....

CFS063.JPG

To be continued…..

Couple of things from a local that loves the Fascination too. That isn't a nuclear power plant. The are two conventional power plants in this area that feature that type of cooling towers - the one you photographed in the Arlington area and another about 35 miles southwest in Palatka.

The "string art" bridge you photographed is commonly called the "Dames Point Bridge" but is officially the "Broward Bridge" for former Florida governor Broward.

Great review you have going - I'm looking forward to the rest!!