Galapagos Info please

Canadianhey!

We are looking at a once in a lifetime trip to the Galapagos Island and would like to know which months people prefer to go and why? I can not seem to make up my mind, so thought I would get info from people that have already done the cruise. Thanks so much.

Under the Celebrity Roll Calls, if you choose Xpedition, there is a thread called Anyone recently back, or something like that. It has been going for years and is now up to part 3 - here is a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2069149

There is so much information and advice on there, it is fantastic!

We went in February and had a wonderful time. Going back in 2016 in August as we want to see the Waved Albatross on Espanola.

I have been on that thread and will after I book go back and start reading but right now I was just curious as to what draw people to the particular month that they booked. Just way to much info on that thread for what I need now but will definitely need it to find out what to pack, etc. later

I have been on that thread and will after I book go back and start reading but right now I was just curious as to what draw people to the particular month that they booked. Just way to much info on that thread for what I need now but will definitely need it to find out what to pack, etc. later

If you bore through all of the thread, I think you will come up with the following conclusion:

It doesn't much matter which month you travel. It's not like the Caribbean, say, where mid-summer is the worst time for most (hot, humid, hurricanes), In the Galapagos, each month has its own attractions, whether it is water warmth or chicks hatching or whatever.

We went in February but would go back in any month...dependent more on our other travel plans rather than the Galapagos specifically.

Edited by ECCruise

but right now I was just curious as to what draw people to the particular month that they booked.

My personal reasons for picking May:

1. I, like BrusselsGirl, wanted to see the waved albatross. "He" is not "in residence" between December and March. Me thinks the "outer loop", which includes Espanola, is the best in terms of wildlife. I only went for direct contact with wildlife, not for beautiful views, like Kicker and Pinacle Rock.... I have the Amalfi Coast and the Norwegian Fjords much closer and cheaper than Galapagos :D .

2. I have enough "hot" and "humid" in more ways than one here in Israel, didn't want to go January-March.

3. April - various holidays, flights expensive, more than usual.

4. July-August - kids out of school.

5. September-November - rough seas. Xpedition is one of the biggest ships plying the seas of Galapagos, but still - it's not S- or M- class.

We went in the second week of November 2012, and were very happy with our choice. It is a bit cooler then, though plenty warm enough. I would not have enjoyed it as much had it been much warmer. The temperatures were pleasant and I was happy not to be sweaty when traipsing around. The wetsuits Celebrity provided kept us warm enough in the cooler water when snorkeling. We found the sea to be very smooth; maybe we were just lucky but that was not an issue at all.

We chose May (going next year) because that is when the Blue Footed Boobies do their mating dance on North Seymour. That meant doing the inner loop, so probably no Waved Albatrosses. You have to pay your money and take your choice...

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I went last October. No humidity on the islands (except for the excursion to the highlands to the tortoise reserve, where it mists constantly). Very comfortable. Yes, it is hot walking in the sun on the sand and volcanic rock, but the air is dry. No bugs - no mosquitoes. I did not go snorkeling, so I can't tell you what the water temperature was like.

We went in May - excellent weather and loads of birds and selfie. We combined it with a trip to Peru- weather there was great as well. We went with Lindblad- they have since merged with National Geographic.

Forgot to mention about November: no bug problems at all, unlike other months; not humid except, as mentioned above, when viewing tortoises; and we saw Lots of albatross action, which was fantastic, as well as an insane amount of darling very young sea lion pups.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. We were looking at Aug sometime. About the only thing that is a must for me is the Blue Footed that I have to see. We can not go between Jan-May and it is my impression that the Blue Foot are there all year around. Am I right in that assumption?