What's with all the charters?!?!

phoenix_dream

After a new sale was announced for a big online TA, went to look over options for Celebrity in spring 2015. What I saw on the Celebrity website was charter after charter after charter, with 'sold out' listed where the price should be. What the heck is going on? The cruises that are not chartered are very high in price - no doubt because the options are so limited. I saw a couple other posts with charter questions, but had no idea we were talking about so many cruises! I have heard of chartering before (have had one cruise cancelled on Celebrity for a nudist charter - no lie), but this is ridiculous. Am I missing something or is this a very unwelcome new trend? I am very disappointed that my options are much limited and the prices therefore so high. Are others finding the same?

After a new sale was announced for a big online TA, went to look over options for Celebrity in spring 2015. What I saw on the Celebrity website was charter after charter after charter, with 'sold out' listed where the price should be. What the heck is going on? The cruises that are not chartered are very high in price - no doubt because the options are so limited. I saw a couple other posts with charter questions, but had no idea we were talking about so many cruises! I have heard of chartering before (have had one cruise cancelled on Celebrity for a nudist charter - no lie), but this is ridiculous. Am I missing something or is this a very unwelcome new trend? I am very disappointed that my options are much limited and the prices therefore so high. Are others finding the same?

I know exactly what you are talking about! I was searching for cruises in April - mid to late, as that is always when I like to take one last cruise before summer. Either the ships are leaving for Europe VERY EARLY or they are charters. Extremely limited selection and the ones available, as you say, are way overpriced. I am really disappointed in Celebrity. Not sure exactly what is going on, but with their limited number of ships, it seems they no longer care about the Caribbean? As for the excessive # of charters, it must be all about the almighty dollar.

I know exactly what you are talking about! I was searching for cruises in April - mid to late, as that is always when I like to take one last cruise before summer. Either the ships are leaving for Europe VERY EARLY or they are charters. Extremely limited selection and the ones available, as you say, are way overpriced. I am really disappointed in Celebrity. Not sure exactly what is going on, but with their limited number of ships, it seems they no longer care about the Caribbean? As for the excessive # of charters, it must be all about the almighty dollar.

Hi Gimletgal,

Definitely seems that more charters are on the horizon.... certainly seems to be at a higher level than in recent memory. For quite some time, I've felt that Celebrity isn't focused on the Caribbean. However, if they can arrange several charters in the region, wouldn't it prove there's a demand ?

At any rate, they are a public company (via RCCL), and it's their goal to make as much money as possible. Charters will always trump standard sailings, as there's reportedly much higher profits to be had. It is understandable why charters annoy any cruise lines loyal guests.... but that's just the way it is, and likely will remain.

Edited by Host Andy

When it comes to Celebrity there are 3 distinct types of Charters...

1- An Outside Charter, where Celebrity rents out the whole boat for a cruise, thereby not making it available to other bookings / Pax. An example of that would be The Legendary Blues Cruise that has happened on The Summit in the past.

2- An Inside Charter, where Celebrity itself organizes / sells out large blocks of rooms on a ship as an AI package... Airfare, Hotel, Airport & Port Transfers, and the Cruise. This is what Celebrity has been marketing the last 2 years in select Canadian Markets in Ontario, Quebec & The Maritime Provinces (weekly full & 1/2 page ads in some of our larger cities newspapers ... Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax)

This is happening again this Winter on Reflection & Silhouette for all sailings February thru April. And maybe what you are referring to if you are looking at the Celebrity Website = http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-search/search-results?isWidget=false&dest=CARIB&sailStartDate=2015-02&sailEndDate=2015-04&ship=ANY&port=ANY#isWidget=false&selectedInput=&dest=CARIB&sailStartDate=2015-02&sailEndDate=2015-04&ship=ANY&port=ANY&duration=ANY&includeAdjascentPorts=Y&promoid=&promoType=&promotionTypeId=&priceProgram=&sortBy=7&startRow=0&count=10&cruiseType=CO&cruiseInt=&isCrieriaExcluded=false

Celebrity Charters & respective Airport Codes:

Reflection

YHM = Hamilton, Ontario

YHZ = Halifax, Nova Scotia

YOW = Ottawa, Ontario

YQB = Quebec City, Quebec

Silhouette

YHM = Hamilton, Ontario

YOW = Ottawa, Ontario

YQM = Moncton, New Brunswick

YXU = London, Ontario

You will also notice that all these sailings are double listed... And there are cabins available for others wishing to book on these dates / cruises. Essentially what Celebrity has done is just put enough cabins on hold to manage the Charter Aircraft that it will be flying in weekly from Canada.

The Pax on these Celebrity Charters will not impact the quality of anyone else's cruise as they'll just be other Pax aboard, and not an organized group with activities etc.

3- The third category, Group Bookings (vs an outright Charter like # 1) is the one to be most concerned about. This is when a group with a common interest books a large block of cabins on a particular sailing. It is not uncommon for such groups to have organized activities in what otherwise be public venues (Sky Lounge - Pool Deck Parties etc)

Past examples of this have included... At the extreme end The American Girl Cruise, 500 little girls and their dolls (November 2011)... and at the other end The Cdn Legion Cruise, a small handful of Vets sightseeing (2012, 2013, & 2014). And somewhere in the middle, one set up for enthusiasts of a particular sport (such as the middle aged motorcyclists we saw in The Caribbean back in 2013)

The key is knowing if there is going to be a group on the cruise you are booked on, and whether they fit into Cat 2 or 3 above.

This info is usually not hard to find by Googling your ship & date... And there is also a website that maintains a list that people can post on.

http://themecruisefinder.com/

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

A full ship paid in full.. Celebrity books it ,doesn't have to worry about cancellations .

Actually the Novemebr 21, 2014 Connie cruise was a charter that has been cancelled and is now being sold to the public. Bet they got a heafty cancelation fee and now filling the ship with passengers such as me. Seems like it will be a good one for investors.

I tried to sign up for two Reflection cruise Meet & Greet and the response was "No such Cruise Date whereas the one in between now has three registrants.

I'm concerned now that a change is coming and the cruise withdrawn from inventory

I tried to sign up for two Reflection cruise Meet & Greet and the response was "No such Cruise Date whereas the one in between now has three registrants.

I'm concerned now that a change is coming and the cruise withdrawn from inventory

Celebrity Connections on the Celebrity Website has been "shakie" to say the least for over a month.

Lots of people complaining they cannot sign up.

Check your Roll Call... See if anyone else is signed up.

Then call Celebrity to see if someone cannot get you on the list.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

We happily booked the Century Around Japan April 2015, but it was cencelled due to the sale of the ship.

So we booked the Milliniium Around Japan, 27 September 2015, which turned out to be cancelled due to a charter, as well as the only other Around Japan for the year (11 Oct 2015).

So if you see another Around Japan cruise in the future, watch out, it may be cancelled for some reason.

Celebrity Connections on the Celebrity Website has been "shakie" to say the least for over a month.

No, I was able to sign up for one, but the other dates were denied. I've never been worried about not being signed up because one can ask when on board. It is the message that concerns me, not the website (this time).

No, I was able to sign up for one, but the other dates were denied. I've never been worried about not being signed up because one can ask when on board. It is the message that concerns me, not the website (this time).

Yes, but is It not the message you are getting on the website ?

If so not the first time... Others have reported equally strange things in the last 30 days (disappearing cruises etc)

That is what I was trying to say

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Sad, but true Andy! :(

Why is that sad? They are a business, not a charity, and they need to make a profit to stay in business. I would wager that charters return a good profit margin and the more charters they book, the better financial shape they will be in, and the better the prospects for a long, successful future with more sailings and possibly more ships for us to enjoy.

They aren't your personal cruise line, so they can do whatever they want. Just as you do whatever you want when deciding what cruise line you will book with. Your other choice is to charter the entire ship yourself for whatever cruise you want to take and then you can "have it your way". :D

Edited by boogs

Why is that sad? They are a business, not a charity, and they need to make a profit to stay in business. I would wager that charters return a good profit margin and the more charters they book, the better financial shape they will be in, and the better the prospects for a long, successful future with more sailings and possibly more ships for us to enjoy.

They aren't your personal cruise line, so they can do whatever they want. Just as you do whatever you want when deciding what cruise line you will book with. Your other choice is to charter the entire ship yourself for whatever cruise you want to take and then you can "have it your way". :D

Of course everything you say is a true statement (except perhaps the first question). But that is not the point. The point is that a cruise line that I have been loyal to and have sailed on virtually every spring for the past 25 years is now severely reducing my options to continue to do that. So for me, and for many, many, many others in my situation this is sad indeed. They can and will do what they want, and I can and will need to now consider other options. But sad? Yes, I am very sad if this is the new business model. I have loved Celebrity for more than a quarter of a century and now will have no choice but to at least consider other options. I was already concerned that I was being priced out of their sailings based on recent cruise costs, and now my cruise options themselves are being limited for what apparently are higher profit options. Obviously I can do nothing to change their thinking, but I reserve the right to be very unhappy about it. :(

We were on the same sailing as 4774Papa, and it was an interesting experience. As soon as that sailing disappeared from the Celebrity website I thought it was fairly clear as to what was happening, and spent some time researching another option for our fall 2015 trip. So when the official announcement was made we had plans. While we will be very pleased with the sailings we selected (on the Equinox, which I like very much) it was a strange experience in which I felt like my life was being played with by the suits in Miami. It is hard to describe but I saw myself as being the mouse which a cat plays with before eating it.

This info is usually not hard to find by Googling your ship & date... And there is also a website that maintains a list that people can post on.

http://themecruisefinder.com/

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Great link thanks...

Who has signed up for the ten day Celebrity "Big Nude Boat 2016 cruise", 02/06/2016 or the 8 day 02/12/2015 one?? :o:p

Edited by A Sixth?

Of course everything you say is a true statement (except perhaps the first question). But that is not the point. The point is that a cruise line that I have been loyal to and have sailed on virtually every spring for the past 25 years is now severely reducing my options to continue to do that. So for me, and for many, many, many others in my situation this is sad indeed. They can and will do what they want, and I can and will need to now consider other options. But sad? Yes, I am very sad if this is the new business model. I have loved Celebrity for more than a quarter of a century and now will have no choice but to at least consider other options. I was already concerned that I was being priced out of their sailings based on recent cruise costs, and now my cruise options themselves are being limited for what apparently are higher profit options. Obviously I can do nothing to change their thinking, but I reserve the right to be very unhappy about it. :(

Your last sentence says it all, and I wholeheartedly agree with it! :)

Yes, but is It not the message you are getting on the website ?

If so not the first time... Others have reported equally strange things in the last 30 days (disappearing cruises etc)

I tested Reflection sailings for Jan & Feb 2015:

As of 24-Aug-2014, 8 guest(s) have signed up for your Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party on Celebrity Reflection departing 03-Jan-2015.

As of 24-Aug-2014, 30 guest(s) have signed up for your Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party on Celebrity Reflection departing 10-Jan-2015.

As of 24-Aug-2014, 14 guest(s) have signed up for your Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party on Celebrity Reflection departing 17-Jan-2015.

As of 24-Aug-2014, 11 guest(s) have signed up for your Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party on Celebrity Reflection departing 24-Jan-2015.

As of 24-Aug-2014, 2 guest(s) have signed up for your Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party on Celebrity Reflection departing 31-Jan-2015.

Invalid sail date February 07, 2015 for ship Celebrity Reflection.

As of 24-Aug-2014, 3 guest(s) have signed up for your Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party on Celebrity Reflection departing 14-Feb-2015.

Invalid sail date February 21, 2015 for ship Celebrity Reflection.

As of 24-Aug-2014, 10 guest(s) have signed up for your Celebrity Cruises/Cruise Critic Connections party on Celebrity Reflection departing 28-Feb-2015.

I just can't believe that this is a website message error unless other people on confirmed sailings are getting the same message. As I said, it does not appear to be an error message as so many others have been.

I tested Reflection sailings for Jan & Feb 2015:

I just can't believe that this is a website message error unless other people on confirmed sailings are getting the same message. As I said, it does not appear to be an error message as so many others have been.

Hi Arno,

I just checked a few sites, and all of them have the Feb 7 and 21, 2015 Reflection sailings open and available for booking. Hopefully, it's just a website glitch. Keeping fingers crossed for you !

Hi Gimletgal,

Definitely seems that more charters are on the horizon.... certainly seems to be at a higher level than in recent memory. For quite some time, I've felt that Celebrity isn't focused on the Caribbean. However, if they can arrange several charters in the region, wouldn't it prove there's a demand ?

At any rate, they are a public company (via RCCL), and it's their goal to make as much money as possible. Charters will always trump standard sailings, as there's reportedly much higher profits to be had. It is understandable why charters annoy any cruise lines loyal guests.... but that's just the way it is, and likely will remain.

Hi, Andy

I suggest Celebrity is not ''re-inventing the wheel'' with what seems to be an inordinate amount of charters....HAL is pretty aggressive in the field of outside groups and full charters, and has been for quite a while.

Over on their board, a well appreciated poster has a thread going on their charters...and out of FLL alone during the winter, you'd be astounded at how may full ship charters HAL operates....

As you stated, seems this is the way it goes...and will continue to go.

Crusing is the mode of vacation we have chosen.....and ''charter/group'' is an integral component of that ....

Cheers

Claude