• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Iguazu Falls

bocaraton

We would really like to go here and are not afraid to do it on our own. We get into Buenos Aires international airport at 2 am..We could leave on an early flight go to the falls and come back the 2nd at night. Does anyone know who flies this route or how to arrange to get there. I know once you get there there is a train that takes you to various places around the falls. When we leave, we would like to go back to Buenos Aires and check into our hotel...any suggestions? We think we should do this before the cruise starts because that way if a plane is delayed, we will not miss getting back to port on time.. We are on the Jan. 4 Sailing of Celebrity from Buenos Aires.

We would really like to go here and are not afraid to do it on our own. Does anyone know who flies this route or how to arrange to get there.

Aeolineas Argentinas and LAN fly there I believe.

If you are arriving from the states, you will be arriving at EZE airport (the international airport). As far as we know, all flights to IGR (Iguazu) leave from Jorge Newbery airport in downtown (virtually) Buenos Aires. You would need to be transported from one airport to the other. We've done it, its not extremely difficult, but you would need to make arrangements in advance.

Don't know anything about the train so no advice there, we hiked on both sides of the falls, Argentina and Brazil, 1 full day each.

It is very easy to do. There are car services right in the Iguazu airport to take you to your hotel. You can see what we did while in Iguazu in our South America review on our website www.thepreismans.com.

It is truly an amazing natural wonder to visit and should not be missed if you can possibly do it.

It looks like Aerolineas Argentinas offers an early morning nonstop from EZE (the international arrival airport) to IGR. Flight time is 1-1/2 hours. This would be ideal for ease of travel to the falls day you arrive. After your time in the falls, you can fly LAN or Aerolineas Argentinas (or its related airline Austral) into BA's domestic Jorge Newbery field (AEP the Aeroparque), which will be great for spending time in the city before you embark.

The Preismans' review (post #4 above) is chock full of good info and gorgeous pix! I also have some falls-related notes that might be of help here: https://sites.google.com/site/splendourbrazil/

You will love this side trip!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We did the trip early this year. LAN airlines is the airline to get you there. We spent 2 1/2 days there. There is a Brazil and Argentina side to falls. Both require visa (resiprosity fees) to get there. Getting from one side to the other isn't that hard but takes time crossing boarder. I am not sure what you are referring to regarding the train. I don't remember anything about it. It is impressive to see both sides of the falls. We stayed inside the park and had access to falls during off hours. The falls are very impressive and definitely worth a visit. I probably would not try to do this alone(ie without a tour or guide) but that is me. The, person is correct that LAN flies out of another airport then the main international airport.

We did the trip early this year. LAN airlines is the airline to get you there. We spent 2 1/2 days there. There is a Brazil and Argentina side to falls. Both require visa (resiprosity fees) to get there. Getting from one side to the other isn't that hard but takes time crossing boarder. I am not sure what you are referring to regarding the train. I don't remember anything about it. It is impressive to see both sides of the falls. We stayed inside the park and had access to falls during off hours. The falls are very impressive and definitely worth a visit. I probably would not try to do this alone(ie without a tour or guide) but that is me. The, person is correct that LAN flies out of another airport then the main international airport.

I believe he was referring to the train that goes to Devil's Throat.

We are doing a three night trip to Iguazu Falls during our world cruise in April. We are flying from BA to IGR on LAN airlines. Please note that flight leaves from the domestic air terminal that is NOT EZE. It is a different airport

We will stay one night on the Argentine side. Then we will use a taxi to go over to the Brazilian side for the next two nights. We fly out of the Brazilian side of the falls IGU to GIG (Rio International Airport) We use TAM airlines to fly to Rio.

Please check make sure which airport your flight is departing in Buenos Aires. That would be a mess.

Our plan is stay one night at the Sheraton in IGR and two nights at Belmond Das Catereras in Brazil.

We are also looking at options for Iguazu Falls prior to Celebrity Infinity sailing. We will fly from Rio 1st January (New Year in Rio!) and see the Brazilian side first which evidently will only need a few hours and do this by taxi (they will wait). Evidently it is a short distance and would cost very little (but will research more and confirm). Then, have the taxi take you to the Argentinian side and stay Sheraton Falls View room (we will stay 2 nights). Walkways are at the back of the hotel. There is no need for a guide as there are maps, walkways and a free train that connects with three walkways. Several reviews have suggested this is the case. We have six days in Rio and have yet to book flights (Lan). My impression is that the Argentinian side is better falls viewing.

The cruise departs 5pm 5th January which gives us a little more time in Buernos Aires. Look forward to sharing more info with you.

Lorraine & Rob (Australia)

@ijks--

Note that there is more territory to cover on the Argentine side of the park. You might want to adjust your plan and spend two nights in Argentina. The Brazilian side takes perhaps 3 hours to walk the path. The Bird Park just outside the park entrance is worthwhile and might take another couple of hours. Both sides offer a boat trip under the falls (which may be less expensive from Argentina though-- do check, if you have interest in this exciting ride). There is also a helipad across from the Bird Park that offers rides over the falls.

"Belmond" is what the Cataratas hotel inside the park is being called nowadays? Just realize that both that and the Sheraton inside the Argentine park are a bit isolated, esp. insofar as choice of food/restaurants go, in comparison to staying in Foz or Puerto. But you do have access to the path outside regular park hours, maybe all the more reason to give yourself more time on the Argentine side.

@lani2--

The view of the falls from the Brazilian side is mostly across to the Argentine side, making for some iconic photos. There are a couple of places you can get close to the powerful falling water, and a walkway out onto a 'plateau' in the river. On the Argentine side, one path is a series of catwalks over the tops of the various small falls that make up the whole. There are also spots where you can escape the heat in calm spots of a little river under a smaller fall of water. Different perspective. "Better falls viewing" is relative. Viewing/photos=Brazil side. Experiencing=Argentina side. (IMO)

Edited by VidaNaPraia

@ijks--

Note that there is more territory to cover on the Argentine side of the park. You might want to adjust your plan and spend two nights in Argentina. The Brazilian side takes perhaps 3 hours to walk the path. The Bird Park just outside the park entrance is worthwhile and might take another couple of hours. Both sides offer a boat trip under the falls (which may be less expensive from Argentina though-- do check, if you have interest in this exciting ride). There is also a helipad across from the Bird Park that offers rides over the falls.

"Belmond" is what the Cataratas hotel inside the park is being called nowadays? Just realize that both that and the Sheraton inside the Argentine park are a bit isolated, esp. insofar as choice of food/restaurants go, in comparison to staying in Foz or Puerto. But you do have access to the path outside regular park hours, maybe all the more reason to give yourself more time on the Argentine side.

@lani2--

The view of the falls from the Brazilian side is mostly across to the Argentine side, making for some iconic photos. There are a couple of places you can get close to the powerful falling water, and a walkway out onto a 'plateau' in the river. On the Argentine side, one path is a series of catwalks over the tops of the various small falls that make up the whole. There are also spots where you can escape the heat in calm spots of a little river under a smaller fall of water. Different perspective. "Better falls viewing" is relative. Viewing/photos=Brazil side. Experiencing=Argentina side. (IMO)

We only did the Argentine side; but got some lovely photos. They aren't the panorama we would have gotten from the Brazil side, but we were quite pleased with being closer to the falls.

IguazuIMG_6786.jpg

We did Iguassu Falls in one long day a few years ago from BA. Flights are from the local airport which is only 15 minutes from downtown (not EZE). Both Lan and Aerolinias Argentina fly there. We arranged for a guide to pick us up in Iguassu, took us through the park and then returned us to the airport later that day. It was well worth it. We did all of this on our own & saved alot of money.

How long a drive is it between:

Sheraton and Das Catareras Hotels?

How long between the two sides of the falls?

How long between the airport and the hotel?

Thanks

If by "the two sides of the falls" you mean the two sides of the park, do remember that the hotels are inside the park, fairly near the entrance(s), so the time would be roughly the same.

(On both sides) each airport is between the town and the park, but only a few minutes from the park entrance (and not really all that far from the town, either, maybe 15 minutes by taxi). You can easily find a map online that illustrates this.

Crossing the border varies somewhat according to traffic, but by taxi, it might take about 45 minutes from hotel to hotel. That is, I have been told that taxi drivers can expedite the border crossing/passport control stop to do it in that time. (The rest of us hoi-poloi who take the public bus have a slightly more complex journey from park to park.)

We are also looking at options for Iguazu Falls prior to Celebrity Infinity sailing. We will fly from Rio 1st January (New Year in Rio!) and see the Brazilian side first which evidently will only need a few hours and do this by taxi (they will wait). Evidently it is a short distance and would cost very little (but will research more and confirm). Then, have the taxi take you to the Argentinian side and stay Sheraton Falls View room (we will stay 2 nights). Walkways are at the back of the hotel. There is no need for a guide as there are maps, walkways and a free train that connects with three walkways. Several reviews have suggested this is the case. We have six days in Rio and have yet to book flights (Lan). My impression is that the Argentinian side is better falls viewing.

The cruise departs 5pm 5th January which gives us a little more time in Buernos Aires. Look forward to sharing more info with you.

Lorraine & Rob (Australia)

We,too, are going to be at the Sheraton arriving about 11 am the 2nd and leaving at 8 am the 4th to Infinity. Did u make taxi arrangements from airport to Sheraton and back. Would love to meet u. Email us at themayblums@yahoo.com. Also did u find any good tours to the penguin rookery in Puerto Madryn. We do not use boat tours so want to find private tour company that is reliable and put some people together to share costs. Look forward to meeting you in Iguazu

About the little train mentioned before. It starts near the park entrance, takes you to a stop near the Sheraton Hotel and two trail heads. The train then continues to its last stop with the trail head for the very impressive Devil's Throat Falls.

I recommend skipping the first stop on your way in and going directly to the last stop. On your return trip, get off at the other stop and walk the trails. They are mostly shady and get you really close to lots of falls, see MVPinBoyton's photo.

^ Lani2, your logistics sound great. Note, however, you will not need to pay the taxi to wait while you do the Brazilian side. You will probably be there 3+ hours. There are taxis waiting at the Visitor's Center. You can see the notes I made on logistics and timeline for each side on my website (linked in my post above). Be sure to get some Argentine pesos for the park entry fee, which you will pay during your taxi transfer as you enter the Argentine park that first evening to go to the Sheraton (unless they now take credit cards--double check!).

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app