? about Tampa and Ft. Myers toll roads

bills blasters

I have a question for someone familiar with Tampa and Ft. Myers.

We will be spending 10 days in those areas, and renting a car. I was wondering if there are a lot of toll roads. If so, can we pay as we go or do we have to get the toll coverage when we rent the car?

Thanks

Claudia

I have a question for someone familiar with Tampa and Ft. Myers.

We will be spending 10 days in those areas, and renting a car. I was wondering if there are a lot of toll roads. If so, can we pay as we go or do we have to get the toll coverage when we rent the car?

Thanks

Claudia

The only toll highways in Tampa Bay are the Selmon Expressway and a few toll bridges - the Sunshine Skyway Bridge being the most notable, and, IMHO, worth the toll just for the views. The only toll roads in Ft Myers are a couple of toll bridges, and the bridge/causeway over to Sanibel Island.

What is the price for the toll roads. Do they take quarters or dollars. Is it ok to just pay as we go? I know the car rental companies try to get you to pay a certain amount per day for the toll pass, and just wondering if it is worth it. I dont mind bringing lots of change along if that will work.

Claudia

When you arrive in the Tampa Bay area, you can go to any CVS drug store and purchase a SunPass. The pass is $5 and you can load as little as $10 on the card to start.

The SunPass will enable you to go through the SunPass lane. Each time you pass the toll, it will auto deduct the amount from your account. In addition, SunPass holders get .25 cents off the toll amount.

The toll amounts around the state are all different and run anywhere from .50 cents up to $2 in some areas.

The SunPass comes in a sticker form with an electronic reading strip in it. You just stick it on the inside of your vehicle , up near the rearview mirror.

It it not a sticky-back so no worries taking it back down.

You load the card online where you can also check your balance and get a list of each toll you have used along with the date and time.

IMO, this is an inexpensive and easy way of avoiding having the correct change and also waiting in the toll lines. SunPass holders just drive right on through the SP lanes and the overhead system will deduct the correct amount.

:)

I agree with the suggestion to buy a SunPass. I live in NYC but have one that attaches to the windshield with suction cups for our visits to Florida. There's nothing like bypassing the lines of people lined up to pay tolls to convince you that it's a good idea.

The only toll road in Tampa is easy enough to avoid if you want. Then there is no need for a sunpass OR rental company plan. It's not like you're going to Miami where the toll roads are amost unavoidable and the best route in many cases.

Edited by bouhunter

I agree, I live in the TB area (in PInellas County) and I don't think I have ever paid a toll

Selmon Expressway is basically one-use for people coming from the East suburbs, although they just opened a connector with I-275, very near the I-4 connector

Veterans Expressway from the Northern suburbs is easily avoidable by using US 301, US 41, or US 19

Pinellas Bayway, only if you are going down to the beaches near Ft Desoto

And, of course, the Sunshine Skyway, which is worth it just for the scenery. Stop at one of the Rest Areas / Fishing Piers either north or south of the bridge

AS mentioned, I-4 to Orlando is free

PROBLEM

some are sending you to the turnpike site for cost estimates .....

in the area you are asking about there are many toll bridges and these are not "turnpike"

my shortest answers are pay the electronic fee

or

keep a roll of quarters handy ......